Short Tour – Dec 2015 – Atlantic Coast – Boland – Warm Bokkeveld – Breedevallei - Home

tubed

I took off 4 days to a do a short solo tour. Idea was minimal fuss, maximum freedom and enjoyment – ie the opposite of work. I bought a 1-person tent for Christmas and had no bookings or commitments. Most of the roads I have travelled a number of times, and it was about 95% tar. Heat was the biggest issue, it is very dry everywhere and looking for water required some planning. I rough camped for 2 nights and stayed one night in a campsite. I can do a fuller write up if anyone’s interested, the idea of sharing is really just to plant the seed, its easy to just go – but there are always a 1000 reasons not to just do it. If you don’t go you will never know. A pretty decent way to end a below par year with far too much negative sentiment. IThink I cleared some cobwebs and am looking forward to more riding in 2016. Happy 2016 to all.

Quick stats: 3.5 days, 635km, rode sunup to sunset, average temp about 30 degrees, probably pushed 40 in parts, 2 broken chains (quicklinks), budget: only spent on food, probably less than R500.

Route/ Towns: Llandudno, Waterfront, ‘Millertin’, Durbanville, Wellington, Ceres, Touwsrivier, Montagu, Ashton, Robertson, Eilandia, Brandvlei, Rawsonville, Slanghoek, Bainskloof, Wellington, Durbanville, Milnerton, Waterfront, Llandudno.  

post-1509-0-90985900-1451558382_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-12667300-1451558385_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-77901200-1451558387_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-04665700-1451558392_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-78104800-1451558394_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-74808300-1451558396_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-75794600-1451558399_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-77673700-1451558402_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-79166300-1451558405_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-44935000-1451558409_thumb.jpg

So much of rad this! Good job Tubed!

("If you don't go, you wont know..." The amount of EBay trips I've done because of that line!)

Awesome post Tubed. It has been too long since I last did some cycle touring. You've just convinced me to do one in 2016.

Awesome post Tubed. It has been too long since I last did some cycle touring. You've just convinced me to do one in 2016.

Well said.  Me too.

Nice post Tubed.

Futting A Sport!!This sounds like a heep of fun,although it must have been challenging phisically and mentally.

Someone give this man a Bell's.[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

The pics where you camped next to the river,whereabout was that more or less?

Sounds awesome. Takes guts. One dumb question that's bothering me.

So what if you need to go to toilet???????

Guest notmyname

Facepalm.

Haven't you heard of a "veltie vang"?

I took off 4 days to a do a short solo tour. Idea was minimal fuss, maximum freedom and enjoyment – ie the opposite of work. I bought a 1-person tent for Christmas and had no bookings or commitments. Most of the roads I have travelled a number of times, and it was about 95% tar. Heat was the biggest issue, it is very dry everywhere and looking for water required some planning. I rough camped for 2 nights and stayed one night in a campsite. I can do a fuller write up if anyone’s interested, the idea of sharing is really just to plant the seed, its easy to just go – but there are always a 1000 reasons not to just do it. If you don’t go you will never know. A pretty decent way to end a below par year with far too much negative sentiment. IThink I cleared some cobwebs and am looking forward to more riding in 2016. Happy 2016 to all.

Quick stats: 3.5 days, 635km, rode sunup to sunset, average temp about 30 degrees, probably pushed 40 in parts, 2 broken chains (quicklinks), budget: only spent on food, probably less than R500.

Route/ Towns: Llandudno, Waterfront, ‘Millertin’, Durbanville, Wellington, Ceres, Touwsrivier, Montagu, Ashton, Robertson, Eilandia, Brandvlei, Rawsonville, Slanghoek, Bainskloof, Wellington, Durbanville, Milnerton, Waterfront, Llandudno.

I can do a fuller write up if anyone’s interested, the idea of sharing is really just to plant the seed, its easy to just go – but there are always a 1000 reasons not to just do it. If you don’t go you will never know.   

I'd like to see the fuller write up.

As for the reasons to not go, you make a very good point. I've been toying with the idea of something like this, yet I always manage to talk myself out of it for some reason or other.

Think it is time to drop the excuses...

Awesome been thinking of a trip over that area for a while ...I did  Gordensbay-Hermanus-Gaansbaai (perle' beach)-struisbaai -Malgas-vleesbaai Side over 5 days a couple of years back.

thanks guys for the nice comments.

Tubehunter: EBay missions are always a gamble, less so nowadays with weather sites - but the reward is oh so sweet.

Ben: the river camp is lower section of Bains.

Jaco: sorry no Strava, was low tech, bike computer and 1:250 000 ordinance map, which has a lot of interesting detail generally not found on electronic devices yet.

I think the no2 question has been answered.

Fuller report to follow.

Archived