Rapide - SRAM 11 Speed Upgrade Kit

NotSoBigBen

So as it happens I needed to replace the cassette, chain and both blades on the Rotor crank on my old hacker training bike (Jamis Dakar XCR Race 29r FS), Now despite it's label it is a bike that is well used and needs to operate at least reliably! It is used almost exclusively at Thaba on the green route with short ventures onto some blue sections each time. Ridden at least 4 times a week and normally 2 laps of Thaba at a time.

As most will know that replacement is pretty costly so as it happens I see Rapide's offer for the 'SRAM 11 Speed Upgrade Kit' for a mere 1799 ZA Rondts .... Seeing as I do have a RaceFace (Sorry Wayne  :blush:  ) 32T NW lying around after I upgraded to a Rapide 34T on my Rush in December decided what the heck why not go 1*11  :thumbup:

post-271-0-61836800-1453816452_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-97365600-1453816468_thumb.jpg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decision made, order to Wayne (Kiwi - Rapide) at 2PM Monday afternoon. In the meantime I did the 1* installation (would mean less to do when the kit arrived I surmised)

Used the bike like that for my training ride this morning and all good.

post-271-0-56921200-1453816663_thumb.jpg

And like clockwork (that's how it works with Rapide) it duly arrived this morning at around 9:30AM ... one of those times when working from home is so damn hard, new stuff lying in my study but have stuff to do first  :whistling:

The package

post-271-0-07544300-1453816833_thumb.jpg

The contents (thoughtfully even a longer B-Screw is included if needed - (X9 Type 2 RD and didn't need it ..... yet) - Instructions for converting the shifter included!

post-271-0-66691500-1453816843_thumb.jpg

Ok so when I took the wheel out and removed the old 10sp cluster I could feel that all was not well (bearings for sure) so proceeded to service the hub first, well actually LittleBen did it in his lunchtime actually  :ph34r:

Then the part I was a little apprehensive about the conversion of the shifter, well it went pretty smoothly and took all of about 15mins and that included cleaning each bit as it came out AND taking photos! Also greased everything as it was re-assembled! the instructions were clear and easy to follow.

Despite everyone I have spoken to's 'ja but when you open that shifter parts are going to go everywhere' warnings that didn't happen  :clap:

Step 1 - remove 4 screws and remove bottom cover

post-271-0-97733100-1453817209_thumb.jpg

Step 2 - remove the spring (not wound that tightly BTW) - note the instruction to remove from the long part first!

post-271-0-57583700-1453817293_thumb.jpg

Step 3 - undo the bolt holding the shifter together (one side is an allen key and the other like square, used a crew driver to hold that) - comes apart pretty easy and nothing shoots out

post-271-0-39326900-1453817430_thumb.jpg

Step 4 - replace the little ratchet part with the new one provided (quite easy to see how it should go in)

post-271-0-14484000-1453817546_thumb.jpg

Step 5 - re-assemble in the reverse order, that spring goes in really easy and it is a one person operation no extra helping hands required

post-271-0-23976000-1453817620_thumb.jpg

Close the cover and you are good to go!

Fitted the chain (it comes with a quicklink - I bought a spare as all my extras are 10sp) and cluster to the bike with the chain length as it came from Rapide (fortunately for me) it was pretty much correct as confirmed by Raptor, Myles et al (thanks guys) - go check the 1*11 chain length thread for further info in this regard if needed

I found the adjustment to get the shifting 'just right' a bit fiddly but it is my foirst time with 11 speed so might be that. In the 'suburb test' it is all fine  :whistling:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/157049-1x11-chain-length/

The final product

post-271-0-50254500-1453817831_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I will go ride it at Thaba and will provide further feedback .... my bike mechanic skills I guess are probably a bit above average (or are they?) but I am pretty sure some adjustment and tweaking may be needed. Will take the first lap easy just in case don't want to break or bend anything  :wacko:

Just a reminder of the link to what I bought and fitted:-

http://www.rapide.co.za/product/sram-11-speed-upgrade-kit/

Disclaimer - I am not an employee or house friend of the proprietor besides having bought bits and bobs from Wayne over the years and have no affiliation with Rapide! I do admire his innovative ideas and especially the fact that he rides what he sells :clap:  - service is also always top notch and that is born out by the many accolades he gets from others as well.

Ok so when I took the wheel out and removed the old 10sp cluster I could feel that all was not well (bearings for sure) so proceeded to service the hub first, well actually LittleBen did it in his lunchtime actually  :ph34r:

Cue the Big Ben Support shot...

Tomorrow I will go ride it at Thaba and will provide further feedback .... my bike mechanic skills I guess are probably a bit above average (or are they?) but I am pretty sure some adjustment and tweaking may be needed. Will take the first lap easy just in case don't want to break or bend anything  :wacko:

Disclaimer - I am not an employee or house friend of the proprietor besides having bought bits and bobs from Wayne over the years and have no affiliation with Rapide! I do admire his innovative ideas and especially the fact that he rides what he sells :clap:  - service is also always top notch and that is born out by the many accolades he gets from others as well.

Only problem is he does not sell what he rides... I've been after that prototype steel frame of his for some time now.

Edit: rotate Image

post-18786-0-38164200-1453822793_thumb.jpg

BTW just remember that without a clutch type rear derailleur the drivetrain may require a chain guide to keep the chain on when riding really rough terrain at speed.

Tomorrow I will go ride it at Thaba and will provide further feedback .... my bike mechanic skills I guess are probably a bit above average (or are they?) but I am pretty sure some adjustment and tweaking may be needed. Will take the first lap easy just in case don't want to break or bend anything :wacko:

Disclaimer - I am not an employee or house friend of the proprietor besides having bought bits and bobs from Wayne over the years and have no affiliation with Rapide! I do admire his innovative ideas and especially the fact that he rides what he sells :clap: - service is also always top notch and that is born out by the many accolades he gets from others as well.

Very cool post overall.

I would says your bike mechanic skills are way above average!!

Awesome post op, can't believe Rapide even manged to tweak the shifter, R1799 for a full conversion to 11x, LEGEND!!

I'd be interested to hear how it rides after some mileage.

Archived