10 spd - 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-34-40

11 spd - 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36-42

10 spd - 11-13-16-19-21-24-28-32-36-42 --> That's what my 1x10 was

09 spd - 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34 --> That sucked a little :P

For me it was 

9 spd 12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36

10 spd 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36

10 spd 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36-42

I still cannot understand the rational for a 1x system, but a 46 at the back is insane. This is a classic example of a solution to a problem that should never have existed.

You'll basically require more slack in your chain and a longer cage on your derailleur than a normal 2x11 system with a 12x36 casette and you'll still basically have the same range.

Why?

I still cannot understand the rational for a 1x system, but a 46 at the back is insane. This is a classic example of a solution to a problem that should never have existed.

You'll basically require more slack in your chain and a longer cage on your derailleur than a normal 2x11 system with a 12x36 casette and you'll still basically have the same range.

Why?

You are right. There is no logic behind it. Doesn't mean it wasn't one of the best "upgrades" I did to my bike...

I went 1 x 11 as it was the simplest solution to 'upgrade' from singlespeed.

If I was buying a new bike I'd prefer a simple 2 x 10 setup, with a modest cassette like 11-34 and 24/36 up front.

Front derailleurs have caused more harm than good since they were invented. The whole design thereof is crude and stupid. The way it smashes the chain into the bigger gear or yanks it off to the smaller one. The chain rub as you shift into a gear at the back that is not to the liking of the front gear.

My biggest reason for going 1x was to eliminate the dreadful front derailleur. I never realised that it had plenty more advantages, but I am happy for that and will never go back.

You may perceive it a crude solution, but I am in awe as to how well they work for such a simple system. Have you ever had a look at the tooth design and the ramp ups on any modern system?

The new SRAM Red front derailleur is a mechanical masterpiece. Try and figure out the maths on that one. Pure genius.

Frankly speaking the distorted chain on the 1 x systems create far more drag and it is inherent, i.e. you cannot adjust anything to make it less and all things being equal it will invariably kill your chain quicker.

Personally I found the contrary, I had to redo my drive-train less after moving to 1x10. Because there is no FD smashing my chain into gears the chain last longer. If you do about 10,000km a year you want something that needs less maintenance. 

Why?

I completely agree. I have a bike with 1X10 and are strongly considering changing to a 2X10 system. One of the principle issues is price. That 10x46 cassette is going to cost a fortune as the largest 2-4 sprockets will need to be made out aluminum or similar. 

1X systems may make sense if you live in Vancouver or in the mountains of Europe and ride trail and enduro. Put a tiny chain-ring on the front to get you up any hill as one does need to worry about top end. But in SA, we need a decent granny to get up super steep stuff and then good top end for jeep track and dirt roads.

I have ridden MTBs for 15 years and never, ever, ever, ever had an issue with a front derailleur. Suddenly they are the source of all evil.

I completely agree. I have a bike with 1X10 and are strongly considering changing to a 2X10 system. One of the principle issues is price. That 10x46 cassette is going to cost a fortune as the largest 2-4 sprockets will need to be made out aluminum or similar. 

1X systems may make sense if you live in Vancouver or in the mountains of Europe and ride trail and enduro. Put a tiny chain-ring on the front to get you up any hill as one does need to worry about top end. But in SA, we need a decent granny to get up super steep stuff and then good top end for jeep track and dirt roads.

I have ridden MTBs for 15 years and never, ever, ever, ever had an issue with a front derailleur. Suddenly they are the source of all evil.

That's why lots of guys here who do Enduro have changed to 1x so it works in SA unless you do marathons then 2x yes. 1x is also a lot better in muddy conditions then 2x been there got the medal for pulling mud from derailer.

I find that the life expectancy of my drive train is primarily determined by the conditions I cycle in. E.g. on my road bike I replaced my chain twice last year (approximately 10k km's) but on my mountain bike I replaced it 3 times and I only did a 1000km off road. On a very wet day at a very nasty local multi day stage race in March 2014 I lost a complete brand new drive train in one go.

Finally, in general, neither chains nor sprockets fail due to external wear, i.e. the side plates making contact with the gears.

The primary failure mode is the chain pins and/or the rollers wearing out which eventually causes chain stretch.

Many of my riding group  still ride and swear by their older XT or XTR 24/32/42 x 10. 

They whip me on my 2x10 and 1x11 bikes on any given weekend. 

They never suffer any front dérailleur drama. 

They never discuss over a beer if they would have enough gears for that climb or speed for that flat.

Their bikes is also not heavier than mine.  

Archived