Start Kaleo, Ceres

Date 30 April 2016

Start Time 07h00

Finish Jupiter Guest House, Sutherland

Cut Off Time 24h00

Race Information

Format One Day Endurance Mountain Bike Event

Distance 247km

Safety Equipment and Lights All participants are required to carry the following safety equipment with them at all times: Helmet (No Helmet. No Ride) Puncture kit and spare tube Cycling Jacket/wind-breaker Basic First Aid Kit Space Blanket Whistle Cellular phone (Reception may be restricted in certain areas) All participants will be required to have access to the following lights and must plan their ride in order to ensure they are collected before sunset. Head Light with spare batteries (if not rechargeable) Tail Light with spare batteries (if not rechargeable)Any participant found riding after sunset without the required lights will be removed from the route for their own safety.

Go to Event Page

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Any advice for a absolute novice when it comes to this distances.

your biggest challenge as a novice - is to not race the first 50 km.

Try as hard as you can can to go as slow as you can for the first 100km. A race this length is all about pacing yourself, especially with Ouberg pass at the end.

Next thing is on your training rides, try and eat as you ride, get yourself used to eating and riding just little nibbles all the time. Various folk have various things they like - for me it is salami/cabanossi and mozzarella cheese. Again, do this early on in the ride, that why you wont start doing this when you run out of "energy". You will be always ready and rearing to go.

oh another thing - if you really want to - set your alarm clock for 1 am. Wake up go outside with just your headlight and see if you can find all your tools in your pack, and try and fix a flat tyre or something arb. Trying to do things in the dark when you are tired.

your biggest challenge as a novice - is to not race the first 50 km.

Try as hard as you can can to go as slow as you can for the first 100km. A race this length is all about pacing yourself, especially with Ouberg pass at the end.

Next thing is on your training rides, try and eat as you ride, get yourself used to eating and riding just little nibbles all the time. Various folk have various things they like - for me it is salami/cabanossi and mozzarella cheese. Again, do this early on in the ride, that why you wont start doing this when you run out of "energy". You will be always ready and rearing to go.

if I can add my 2c here regarding eating, if you set your Garmin edge up correctly i.e. Age, height, weight, correct Heart Rate, then there is an option to set up a "calorie alert" so that for every 100 or 200 calories burned an alert will go off to remind you to eat, I've found this very handy in the past. I'm sure all These new fancy computers / HRM all Have that option.

• 2 months later...

Just want to give a shout out to the race organisers!!

I found this a VERY tough, but enjoyable race!! Well organised and everything went smooth (from my point of view) :-)  

Waterpoints were well stocked and had what's required!! The boerewors and sosaties at 150km and 200km were GREAT!

It was very cold from the start till the finish and I think that played a major role in the large number of DNF's!!!

a Pity that the race entry numbers are dwindling and that no main sponsor can be found. Ouberg pass lived up to its huge reputation!! a Brute of a climb after 190km's in the saddle!! 

Kudos to all finishers!!.....and the winner Chris Wolhuter.

Archived