Chainstay no more stay...

AlanD

Hi AlanD

Sorry for the ddelay in posting this and the delay with the repair. Been a week from hell.

As you can see from the above pictures I have machined an ally reinforcement block wich follows the radius of the chainstay. That is inserted into the chainstay and holes are drilled through the mother material. The holes allow for a puddle weld wich fuses the 'mother material' to the reinforcing block. Then the break is widened to allow the 'mother material' also to be fused to the reinforcing block. Doing it this way creates a larger area to distribute the force along the chainstay. At the moment the lower half of the triangle is in for heat treatment bringing it back to a decent hardness after normalising during the welding process.

post-67625-0-99556100-1455302300_thumb.jpg

post-67625-0-47683500-1455302357_thumb.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awsome job Andy. Super stoked that i will be able to ride again soon.

Thanks for all the help man.

This Bikehub, its a wonderful place:-)

Triangle is in the stripping tank. Have noticed pivot bearings are rough. Replacement will be needed.

Does the stripping tank remove the anodising?

Hi AllanD. Have checked all pivot bearings and unfortunately on the break side the front pivot is very tight rear pivot is rough. Non break side front pivot bearing is rough and rear seems fair. Possibly the added stress from poor pivot could have added to the break. Will suggest replacing all 4.

I was told the same thing when my old Merida developed cracks on the chain stay, near the front pivot though.

The original is painted but stripping tank is used to get oils and dirt out of the ally. It's an ultrasound bath and the parts are in a solution of water and cleaning agent. Ally being a porous metal does absorb oils and dirt. So to have a clean weld that is x ray spec the mother material needs to be as clean as possible.

Andy dropped off my rear triangle this evening and has done a superb job. All welded up, painted and new bearings.

Such a stellar guy. Thanks for your help Andy.

post-57045-0-71554100-1455556707_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-82919000-1455556748_thumb.jpg

This is the kind of thread that makes me smile... Well done bikehub

Im still smiling and my triangle is smiling next to me :-).

Awesome!  

I really love seeing the engineering side (even with the blurry photos!) - its great that it's been done properly and not just welded together.

Out of interest, what di that set you back?

Stripper bath,Ally block inside tube,welding, heat treatment, painting, bearings and installation as well as labour all cost me R800 randellas. Very reasonable i thought. I also got all my old bearings back and some teflon crease to use when i put it all back together :-)

Archived