[Event] Eroica South Africa

News bot

Event Name: Eroica South Africa
When: 23 April 2016
Where: Montagu, Western Cape
Category: Road

Eroica is coming to South Africa, and registration is finally open! Thank you for your patience. As you may have heard, this Italian homage to vintage bicycle racing culture will be celebrated at our inaugural event in Montagu this year. So, if you have a passion for old steel bicycles, and love riding them on dirt roads through beautiful landscapes, come and join us on the weekend of 23 April!

This event is not a race, or just a ride, but rather a weekend-long celebration of the bygone days of cycling races of old, with good food, wine, music, and lots of riding.

The highlight of the Eroica festival will undoubtably be the ride, with 3 distances to choose from. All 3 routes will be almost all gravel, with the longest 140km option taking riders into the beautiful but remote area above the Langeberg to the north, and back down through the spectacular Koo.

For more information, please visit the Eroica South Africa website, or our Facebook page, but here are the basics of what you need to know :

Date : 23 April 2015

Distances : 140km, 90km, or 50km

Rules : Vintage steel racing bicycles only (but please peruse the Rules on the website)

Cost : R500 per rider (or R400 per rider for groups of 5 or more)

Registration : Please visit the Registration page on the website to enter

See you in Montagu!

Stan Engelbrecht (Race director)

Go to Event Page

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realise almost all of it is on dirt ?

Hours of spit and polish on my Italian thoroughbred, and to put it through all that !  :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

That's why I built up a zini, with 105. Perfect for eroica!!!!

Jip, also not using any of my Italian bikes using my LeJeune with Shimano 105.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Eroica South Africa 2016: Report-back

Driving from Cape Town to Montague on Friday afternoon was quite an experience with rain and wind like I haven't experienced for a good few years. Driving the N1 in a Landrover was a bit like sailing the Roaring Forties. The beautiful town of Montagu was wet as a dog and pouring, so in stead of camping, as I planned, I found myself a room at the delightful Montagu Country Hotel (recommended). Registration was quick, friendly and situated in an art gallery with vintage bikes everywhere.  

post-17716-0-16574400-1461474859_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-06880800-1461474872_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Saturday morning dawned as perfect as they come. Crisp, clear, perfect for riding a bike. I got myself to the start venue early and was amazed at the Italian (especially), German (quite a bit) and Dutch I heard. Riders dressed in authentic vintage gear started rolling up on beautiful elegant vintage bikes. The vibe was one of friendly excitement and I have NEVER before seen people checking each others bikes out quite so thoroughly. There were several beautiful old Bianchis, a Colnago or three, but I was delighted to see so many Le Jeunes. I thought that was quite fitting as they were made in Cape Town. Oh, and before I forget, there was a Du Toit as well.  

post-17716-0-30613200-1461476300_thumb.jpg

I apologise for posting faces without asking for permission, so, upfront, if you want me to remove your picture, send me a PM.

This gentleman came all the way from Italy and brought his perfect Bianchi with. Perfect, right down to the cork stoppers in the water bottles.

post-17716-0-54620900-1461476591_thumb.jpg

The oldest looking bike belonged to another Italian gentleman, Frederico, if my memory is right. It has WOODEN rims, no gears and brakes that will SCARE you to death! It is the coolest thing on two wheels! I think he grew his moustache exactly to the shape of his handlebars.

post-17716-0-38756900-1461477038_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-58583200-1461477052_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Before long, we were off. 140 km, 90 km and 50 km routes, mostly on dirt roads. No timing, no seeding, no stress, stop when you want, take photographs, talk to people, ride your bike.

post-17716-0-33879100-1461477370_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-92671300-1461477395_thumb.jpg