Clickin sound coming from freehub

Rick Sanchez

Hi guys

I have a very irritating, very loud noise coming from my rear wheel.

Pretty sure it's the hub or cassette, as I put a friend's wheel on and the noise was gone.

Only hear it when pedaling, seated or standing, but not when back pedaling or when I turn the cranks in the work stand.

Wheel is a ZTR Crest with a Tune Prince hub

Any idea what it could be?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

I have a very irritating, very loud noise coming from my rear wheel.

Pretty sure it's the hub or cassette, as I put a friend's wheel on and the noise was gone.

Only hear it when pedaling, seated or standing, but not when back pedaling or when I turn the cranks in the work stand.

Wheel is a ZTR Crest with a Tune Prince hub

Any idea what it could be?

Bearings?;loose casette? Broken spoke? Freehub about to fail?

Could be the bearing maybe, it felt a little rough.

May need a service I guess.

How would one know if a freehub is about to fail? :eek:

Bike still rides really well and no issues other than the clicking

Are you able to service the hub, strip it and clean everything, light grease and back together. I don't think worn bearings make much noise, unless they are really bad.

A few years ago my hub was making awful creaking noises, even after a service at a bike shop who told me it was fine. First day of berg and bush the axle broke. Guess that was the noise. Crack in the axle. I noticed that when I tightened the skewer super tight, the creak was less.

Are you able to service the hub, strip it and clean everything, light grease and back together. I don't think worn bearings make much noise, unless they are really bad.

A few years ago my hub was making awful creaking noises, even after a service at a bike shop who told me it was fine. First day of berg and bush the axle broke. Guess that was the noise. Crack in the axle. I noticed that when I tightened the skewer super tight, the creak was less.

Thanks, should be able to service the hub. Will check on youtube and consult my bike shop tomorrow

That is quite a straight forward hub.  Take it apart and see what you find.  2 sealed bearings on the axle, 2 in the freehub and spring loaded pawls.  Check carefully for any "filings" or wear on the axle.  Replace the bearings while you are in there.  I can service it for you if you like.

That is quite a straight forward hub.  Take it apart and see what you find.  2 sealed bearings on the axle, 2 in the freehub and spring loaded pawls.  Check carefully for any "filings" or wear on the axle.  Replace the bearings while you are in there.  I can service it for you if you like.

Thanks David.

Where can I find the correct bearings, will my LBS have?

There is some wear on the freehub due to the cassette eating into it.

But I know this is quite a common problem with Tune Hubs

Will have a look tomorrow, just need to source those bearings

Just had a similar issue with a novatec hub. Eventually found the ratchet ring that the pawls of the free body run in was cracked right through. It only clicked when free wheeling and about once per wheel rotation.

to check if the bearings are worn lift the bike and spin the wheel very fast 

for front - hold your stansions with your index finger and tumb very lightly ,you wil feel an unmistakable grinding feeling if they are worn

for back - do the same but hold the seatstays about halfway with your fingers, not the chainstay...

after this you wil definitely know if its the bearings or not.

good luck and report back if you find the cause ;) 

To test rear wheel and hub bearings....

- Remove chain but leave wheel clamped in the dropouts.

- Spin wheel. Should be completely smooth and silent. A rumbling sound means wheel bearings are worn.

- hold wheel and spin cassette in reverse. Rough or rumbling sound other than clicking of pawls indicates worn freehub bearings. Any free-play or side to side play in the cassette also indicates possible bearing issue.

Thanks David.

David will have the bearings

Thanks David.

Normally bearing shops in industrial areas stock everything. That is where the bike shops get most of their bearings. They are normally very cheap. Something like R15 to R 20 each.

I did have problems sourcing some bearings from the Bottom Bracket though, but wheel bearings seems to be common.

I had a clicking noise from my back wheel in dec on a long ride. Ignored it and by end of the ride I was on a fixxie the freehub disintegrated.

Just took the hub apart and I'd say everything looks and feels good.

Bearings aren't rough and there is no wear on the axle.

Should I grease the axle when I put it back?

Just took the hub apart and I'd say everything looks and feels good.

Bearings aren't rough and there is no wear on the axle.

Should I grease the axle when I put it back?

I wouldn't bother, only where metal presses against metal and where there are threads.