Opinion on Cost of bikes

Toxic

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will not have a problem with my ego downgrading. That does not bother me at all. Maybe fix the scalpel (again) and get a toy bike and do what eddy is doing....

just leave the scalpel there incase I have a race. Trying to sell a 4 year old scalpel that has been completely replaced is another challange :)

I reckon a train machine will solve your problems

I bought a mid-range MTB (Giant Anthem Carbon - Toyota type dependability) in a way to preserve my top-end road bike Cannondale / Maserati like speed demon

And, yes, cycling is sport that demands lots of Randelas

With these economic times, upgrades (never mind normal maintenance) is ....

http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/media/assets/submodel/6912.jpg

This is a 2014 Ferrari LaFerrari.

It can do 0-60mph in 2.6 seconds

It costs $1,500,000

http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/media/assets/submodel/6944.jpg

This is a 2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo

It can do 0-60mph in 2.7 seconds

It costs $105,000

Perhaps my example isn't a fair metaphor but it illustrates my point perfectly.

We are willing to pay so much more for minimal gains. Gains most of us I might ad will never really benefit from. But we want it. We convince ourselves its money well spent.

Naturally we justify this type of spending with:

'My XTR cranks are so much stiffer than, bla bla, bla...'

SHUT UP. Are you Loic Bruni? No? Then stop talking ***.

Wanna know whats happening in the cycling industry R&D?

Imagine for a moment if motor industry declared all 4 cylinder engines as obsolete and therefore only manufacture v6 twin turbos and better because that's what sells and that's what people want.

We're to be blamed for this overpriced mess we find ourselves in.

Because we're stupid

http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/media/assets/submodel/6912.jpg

It costs $1,500,000

http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/media/assets/submodel/6944.jpg

It costs $105,000

We are willing to pay so much more for minimal gains. Gains most of us I might ad will never really benefit from. But we want it. We convince ourselves its money well spent.

Imagine for a moment if motor industry declared all 4 cylinder engines as obsolete and therefore only manufacture v6 twin turbos and better because that's what sells and that's what people want.

Because we're stupid

The one is a panty dropper

the other one gives boy racers hard-ons....

you decide.

It costs $1,500,000

It costs $105,000

Because we're stupid

Your problem there is Shimano.

The one is a panty dropper

the other one gives boy racers hard-ons....

you decide.

How do they compare from 100km/h to 300km/h??

To answer that you will first need to buy 10km of private race track to test them on.

Bazinga.

Because we're all gonna do 300kmh. So lets get out those wallets

meh... cars really do nothing for me. in fact when I see a picture of cars...i just think of all the things that could go wrong and will cost money....

add me recently having to sort out the head gaskets on my car... and you may see where this is going...

and it's kinda the same for bikes for me.

I am having just as much fun on my current R10k bike with none of the bells, and hardly a whistle, as I have had on my R18 000 (at the time) dual sus 3 x 10 machine, with high spec components.

Personally I get no enjoyment on spending R1000 on something that does the same as something that costs R600, because of some marketing BS, and 55g weight difference.

Here's a little gem from Tyler Durden:

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't."

You left out the best part

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't and we're slowly learning that fact. and we're very very pissed off."

You left out the best part

you should come hang out in JHB for a while...

Cant really speak for the other regions.. but what I am exposed to made me leave out that part intentionally.

meh... cars really do nothing for me. in fact when I see a picture of cars...i just think of all the things that could go wrong and will cost money....

add me recently having to sort out the head gaskets on my car... and you may see where this is going...

and it's kinda the same for bikes for me.

I am having just as much fun on my current R10k bike with none of the bells, and hardly a whistle, as I have had on my R18 000 (at the time) dual sus 3 x 10 machine, with high spec components.

Personally I get no enjoyment on spending R1000 on something that does the same as something that costs R600, because of some marketing BS, and 55g weight difference.

Here's a little gem from Tyler Durden:

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't."

Spot On RocknRolla!

To answer that you will first need to buy 10km of private race track to test them on.

German Autobahn will work[emoji6][emoji10]

Archived