Chaoyang tyres?

Cannonized

Hi. I need to get some new 29" mtb tyres and saw some Chaoyang's at my LBS yesterday. I think it was the Zipper and Hornet that I was looking at.

Does anyone have any experience with these tyres?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I need to get some new 29" mtb tyres and saw some Chaoyang's at my LBS yesterday. I think it was the Zipper and Hornet that I was looking at.

Does anyone have any experience with these tyres?

Yes, currently the Hornet front and rear. Rolls pretty well and is a predictable tyre, although I feel the Hornet is generally better suited to the front, no idea of the Zipper though. 

At the price it's a no brainer, dual compound on some of their tyres, sidewall protection, folding bead and tubeless specific. 

The pair currently seem to be wearing well and converted to tubeless no problem. Little bit of air seepage at first but now it seems sorted, to be fair that could also have been due to the rim tape/rim combo.

You'll also find that the tread pattern is identical to certain Spez tyres.  Some say that they're made in the same factory...

Similar, Chaoyang is a tyre manufacturer for many of the companys (WTB), including automotive. They've started doing direct to market models now, a lot of their tread profiles are adopted from older designs.

Similar

I've had them next to each other - the only thing that's not the same is the name printed on the side  :ph34r:

They are a big company though, one of the biggest tyre manufacturers in the world.

I've had them next to each other - the only thing that's not the same is the name printed on the side  :ph34r:

They are a big company though, one of the biggest tyre manufacturers in the world.

n Where may these be found in CT area? I like my Spaz tyres...so getting the same at even lower cost would be rad ;)

Serias? Which ones? Keen to check it out. 

Pricing can't be that far off though, Spaz tyres are pretty well priced already as well. 

One of our local shops stock them, think at R399 a tyre. I haven't tried them but a pair of local riders used them at the Epic. No punctures and no complaints...

I see Sportsman's Warehouse advertises the 26" Hornet tubeless-ready for R400.

http://res.cloudinary.com/moresport/image/upload/c_fill,d_no-image_gxma3c.jpg,h_432/swh/products/1107617.jpg

Edited by wiledog_x

I see Sportsman's Warehouse advertises the 26" Hornet tubeless-ready for R400.

http://res.cloudinary.com/moresport/image/upload/c_fill,d_no-image_gxma3c.jpg,h_432/swh/products/1107617.jpg

Are they foldable?