Chaoyang tyres?

Cannonized

Fitted Hornets on my Merida over the weekend.

My first time doing a tubeless fitment .... went well.

Looking forward to using these on my commute.

NOT impressed with the Schwable tires that came with my bike !  Kept on losing pressure, and anything below 3,5bar the rear would start wobbling around bends ... NOT a nice feeling !!!!  So if somebody wants a set of LOW milage 27,5 Schawble Wobble tires in Bellville ....

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Schawble tends to be of a softer compound so they don't last very long. For me doing high mileage durability is key. That said the Innova Transformers I now have are somewhat of a Schawble knock-off so I'll have to see if they copied the compound as well.

• 9 months later...

Back on Chaoyang, but not on the MTB...

9a91d0a21a66516bdfbf9c9e0f1ce57f.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Hi, How are the tyres holding up so far? Can't decide whether to try them or the vittoria Zaffiro tyres. I'm leaning towards the shark skins, just not sure about the overall ride quality. I only have 1 set of wheels so I'm looking for a more all around Training tyre that can race decently.

Best road tyres I've had. Still going strong.

also been using them for a couple of thousand km's commuting ... tough, long wearing with a little skittish sensation in the wet.

WOW ... 9 months has flown by since I fitted the Hornets.

NO complaints.

29er, run tubeless as a commuter, LOTS of thorns.

98% tar, small section of gravel along the afternoon route

holds the pressure good if the bike is not used for a while .... 

would happily buy it again

I originally gave these tyres the thumbs up, but first impressions are misleading...

Had the vipers, and on my third ride out they got cut. Cut right through the tyre. On a clean road. Without abuse.

Anyway, I know that can be luck of the draw but I've ridden through some rough stuff and never had an issue on gators. I've already put the gators back on and relegated the vipers to the fixie so I can shred them..

Personal experience of course, results may differ.

• 1 month later...

bought 1 Chaoyang speedshark(there was only 1 left) and a Arisun allure tyre(also Chinese rubber compound) both 25mm, R350 for the pair!!.

Im really happy with them. Comfortable, good grip, fast! And easy to fit on the rim with excellent puncture protection. I've done about 900km+- of riding on clean and not so clean roads I don't believe I'll want to train on a different set of tyres again. These tyres are just as good as my gatorskins and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper.

To think I was going to spend a good 1k on a pair of gators.

I originally gave these tyres the thumbs up, but first impressions are misleading...

Had the vipers, and on my third ride out they got cut. Cut right through the tyre. On a clean road. Without abuse.

Anyway, I know that can be luck of the draw but I've ridden through some rough stuff and never had an issue on gators. I've already put the gators back on and relegated the vipers to the fixie so I can shred them..

Personal experience of course, results may differ.

That sounds like hard luck. I had a brand new Conti GP4000S II. 11km into my ride I heard a gunshot and dived off the road onto the grass. Feeling myself up while lying on the side of the road I was relieved to discover I wasn't wounded. The shot sounded close.

turns out it was my front tyre. Beautiful clean cut from side wall to centre tread. Looks like I rode over a very sharp stone or Stanley knife blade. New tyre in sy m88r. Tube looked like a 9mm round hit it. R10 note and a fresh tube got me home where the 2nd brand new Conti GP 4000s II was fitted. Its still going strong 26months later. albeit somewhat worn

There's some things an all road hazard warranty just doesn't guarantee...

bought 1 Chaoyang speedshark(there was only 1 left) and a Arisun allure tyre(also Chinese rubber compound) both 25mm, R350 for the pair!!.

Im really happy with them. Comfortable, good grip, fast! And easy to fit on the rim with excellent puncture protection. I've done about 900km+- of riding on clean and not so clean roads I don't believe I'll want to train on a different set of tyres again. These tyres are just as good as my gatorskins and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper.

To think I was going to spend a good 1k on a pair of gators.

My Speed Sharks have been on the commuter since March ... so 4000 plus KM done on them to date. The rear is now looking a bit worn and has been susceptible to punctures, so I think the time has come to fit one of the spare Speed Sharks now.

reliable 4K riding on a R99.00 tyre = serious bargain

• 1 month later...

cba0dcb9e10df9e092ab3f698bddc340.jpg

Hopefully I’m not making a mistake, eager to find out. Less than half the price of a Gatorskin!

What is the tread like? I bought Vittoria's for R100each for training and fitted them in Dec. Still going strong.

cba0dcb9e10df9e092ab3f698bddc340.jpg

Hopefully I’m not making a mistake, eager to find out. Less than half the price of a Gatorskin!

Would love to hear your feedback on the tyres after you tested it out thoroughly.

Been riding the tires, road and mtb, for two years. They're incredible, especially considering the price. 

The road ones (25c) go for months without flatting, and you can fit them without a tire lever, which makes life easier if you do happen to flat! They start to square off before they're completely done, but remain grippy, just be cautious in the wet as they are slick

And then the hornet zippering combo is super grippy and fast rolling, the longevity on these is also impressive.