3D Printed Bash Ring

Fleming

I had some free time at work today and decided to misappropriate company resources and make a bash ring on our 3D printer.

I know it wont be very strong but I dont plan to use it to protect the chain rings. I want to change from a triple to a double ring setup using the same crank and think the bash ring will make the double setup look more complete. 

I will mount it on the bike later and take some more pics.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/stuartfleming/IMG_20160422_114704_zps1dncwb5i.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/stuartfleming/IMG_20160422_131610_zpsjr2ykfah.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/stuartfleming/IMG_20160422_132516_zpswq03xxp1.jpg

Needed a bit of filling to make it fit the crank spigot but overall I am pretty happy.

058e1414b56f2f97fba3910dcfafbf92.jpg

bcd761f3ef29352fbc0b8758aa3254fa.jpg

Posted from a mobile device using Tapatalk.

Pretty cool. Could you print a marsh guard?

What is a marsh guard?

Cool, but wasn't that moer expensive.

Including electricity to run the printer it was less than R30. Main issue is it took nearly 5 hours to make.

It a mud guard

It can be done but the printed parts are not very flexible. I think it would be easier to cut one from a piece of plastic. The lid of a ice cream container would probably be a good place to start.

It can be done but the printed parts are not very flexible. I think it would be easier to cut one from a piece of plastic. The lid of a ice cream container would probably be a good place to start.

Ok cool, just thought it would work but as you say, needs to be flexible

I printed a bash guard for a double ring setup (40/28). It is super strong, I bashed my full weight and momentum on it while I was learning to climb low walls and it barely felt a thing :thumbup:

Printed at 0.2mm layer resolution with rectilinear infill (almost halved print time vs honeycomb) @ 90% infill density

post-41725-0-12524900-1461346370_thumb.jpg

post-41725-0-94283300-1461346418_thumb.jpg

post-41725-0-95000700-1461346460_thumb.jpg

(apologies for the poor lighting in my bedroom)

Some pics of it fitted to le bike

Glad to know they can be durable

Archived