Please advice a rookie on buying his first MTB

Willem54321

Hi 

Today is my first day here, but have been thinking about starting and buying a MTB. So my question is the same for 99% of us noobs here - What to buy?

I've been doing alot of research for the last two weeks and have to make a decision between the following couple of bikes. Please help a man out. i want to buy 2 bikes(for me and my bro) and have a budget of +- R5000 for the 1 and R10 000 for the other.

the bikes in the R5000 range i am looking at is:

Axis A60 for R5000 (NEW)

Titan 29er sport for R5500 (NEW)

Momsen AL 129 for R6000 (NEW)

Then in the R10 000 range is either:

Merida big nine 500 for R12 500 (NEW)

Silverback Sola 2, 2014 for R8 500 (secondhand, but well looked after)
Axis A30 for R9 900 (NEW)

Would love some advice. thanks alot

Hi and welcome to the nut house...lol

Have you ridden before? Dropping R15k on bikes and you don't end up liking it is a problem. There are places to rent bikes.

Of the bikes you have listed I would go with the Momsen and and the Silver back Sola or Merida. Browse the classifieds here and see what's in your price range as you can get some great second hand deals.

Remember you need cash for helmet, shoes, gloves, shorts...etc so take that into account.

Hi there and thank you.. lol

Yes we have ridden before and love it. We used to always lend bikes from friends but decided we definitely want our own bikes.

thanks for the feedback, why not the Axis A30?

Hi there and thank you.. lol

Yes we have ridden before and love it. We used to always lend bikes from friends but decided we definitely want our own bikes.

thanks for the feedback, why not the Axis A30?

Personal preference. If you can test them out first before you.buy then you will be able to tell which one best suites you.

I would first look in the classifieds here as you can get a better specked bike than buying new in terms of components.

Willem. Koop n tweede handse fiets. Om jou eerste fiets nuut te koop is nutteloos. Sodra jy dit uit die wilken ry verloor jy helfte van die waarde. En jy mag dalk nie daarvan hou nie so as jy dit dan moet verkoop is dit helfte van die geld werd. Mens koop eers n nuwe fiets as jy weet presies waarvan jy hou. As jy vinnig beter raak gan jy ook vinnig n beter fiets wil he. Koop 2de hands

Hi and welcome to the nut house...lol

Have you ridden before? Dropping R15k on bikes and you don't end up liking it is a problem. There are places to rent bikes.

Of the bikes you have listed I would go with the Momsen and and the Silver back Sola or Merida. Browse the classifieds here and see what's in your price range as you can get some great second hand deals.

Remember you need cash for helmet, shoes, gloves, shorts...etc so take that into account.

I second this i Ride a Sola and Best Friend Rides a Momsen Both of us have had many happy miles and Parts and servicing are reasonably priced.

Another thread on this, surely not!? My advice is: dont buy your brother a bike because you need that R5k for your own :)

Welcome to BikeHub. Of what you've listed, I would go with the Sola, and then look for another second hand bike for the cheaper one - something similar to the Sola or Merida 500. Plus by "saving" R1500 on the R10k bike  you can up the R5k budget to R6500 - which might not sound like alot but at that level it opens up alot more options.

Things to consider:

Preferably a 10s drivetrain - this means that if a component breaks you can replace it with a better one. Lower level drivetrains limit you in terms of what you can replace components with later on.

Best quality fork you can find. This probably won't break but will contribute heavily towards the ride.

Wheels will be low end at that price range - this means either heavy or soft or both. Having to continually fix stuff is a pain, and can be expensive - so look at what you value more in terms of those - I would take a heavy but strong wheelset (like Giant PXC2) over a lighter but softer wheelset (like the Syncros / roval wheelsets) anyday (I am 105 kgs though).

A lot also depends on the size you need to get, keep that in mind, but I'll definitely go 2nd hand. I picked up a secondhand Sola 2 for R7.5K a little over a year ago and it's not let me down one single day. There's great value in the classifieds, and if you're willing to wait it out for a deal.

Archived