Q Rings or No?

Jurgens Smit

Howsit Guys, looking for some advice on Q Rings. I recently broke my inner Chainring so I need to replace them. I've gotten a quote from my LBS and the price difference between round rings and Q rings are not too bad.

Has anybody ridden them, and do they help?

Thanks

My friend who is a pro tour rider #bragging ha ha swears by them, he convinced me to move and next will be a move to oval on my MTB

Oh, no Shimano Biopace from the 80's all over again!

The ones available now work opposite to the Biopace ones.

From the aB website - http://absoluteblack.cc/we-acknowledge-many-people-do-not-fully-understand-the-difference-between-biopace-and-modern-oval-rings/

Modern Oval chainrings like absoluteblack have different shape to Biopace, but most importantly different timing. Countless studies show that human can produce most power when his legs are on the crank just below horizontal (crank arm at 4 o'clock) and can't produce power at all when crank is vertical (6 o'clock). So it makes a lot of sense to use this knowledge and locate biggest part of the oval where you can push more and reduce the effort where you can't produce power at all. This is how modern oval rings work. Based on many studies and calculations. Not a guess, like it was in early 80's without a measuring instruments and computer algorithms available now. 

Why many people are confused?
Because Shimano advertised Biopace with similar claims that are used in modern oval rings. Thing is Biopace execution was completely wrong to claims they were giving. Biopace in fact did the opposite to the advertised claims

Ask yourself the following question....if they are so amazing why do all the pro's not ride with them? 

I'm in your boat.

Have to say that this claim seems a bit like pseudo-science. Twice the claim suggests a human can't generate ANY power when the crank is at 6 o'clock. Makes me wonder how we manage to move our legs behind the vertical at all, when on or off the bike? Perhaps they mean apply LESS force, and hence less torque and power? But then shouldn't they state that in their advertising, especially if people report some benefit in the use of such rings?

Countless studies show that human can produce most power when his legs are on the crank just below horizontal (crank arm at 4 o'clock) and can't produce power at all when crank is vertical (6 o'clock). So it makes a lot of sense to use this knowledge and locate biggest part of the oval where you can push more and reduce the effort where you can't produce power at all. This is how modern oval rings work. Based on many studies and calculations.

Ask yourself the following question....if they are so amazing why do all the pro's not ride with them? 

I'm in your boat.

You guys have obviously not tried them.  Try them and all will be clear.

As a side note - pro riders ride what they're told to ride - do you think that they get much choice in the equipment?

From my personal perspective, oval rings help me to keep my cadence up whether it's flat or going uphill.  This directly translates into more speed.  You can feel it.  At first it feels like you're pushing a harder gear but the lag at the end of the power stroke never comes, it just remains smooth.

Going oval has been one of, if not the best thing that I've done on the bike.  Simple, inexpensive, brilliant. 

Edited by dirtypot