Q Rings or No?

Jurgens Smit

Ask yourself the following question....if they are so amazing why do all the pro's not ride with them? 

Because everyone's body is different that's why only some of them use it.

Agreed on the cadence. That's the biggest plus for me.

If you like riding a higher cadence then you will notice a significant difference. Not sure if it is to do with the reduction in the dead spot, but you will notice it is much easier to keep your cadence up.

How many times did you drop your chain when shifting up or down in the front??

I changed to oval rings last weekend.  Tossed the 3 front chainrings away and bought a rapide 34T for the front. 

Love it.  So smooth

A couple of hits from a google search on 'elliptical chain rings'. Granted I'm sure there are differing manufacturers of these rings, each with their own design, and one might wish to argue that the various physiological/exercise tests aren't comprehensive enough, but a cursory look-see is interesting if nothing else. The first two are empirical studies from a peer-reviewed journal and a Master's dissertation (I can't comment on whether it was a successful submission) respectively; the third appears to be a mathematical study from a blog site (perhaps?).....

http://researchrepository.murdoch.edu.au/4074/

".....Total power output was not different (P = .40) between the circular (340 ± 30 W) or either elliptical chainring condition (342 ± 29 W and 341 ± 31 W). Similarly, no differences (P = .73) in 2 km mean power output were observed between conditions. Further, no differences in RPE were observed between conditions measured at 3, 6, and 8.5 km. Heart rate was significantly greater (P = .02) using the less aggressive elliptical setting (174 ± 10 bpm) compared with the circular setting (171 ± 9 bpm)....."

http://researchspace.ukzn.ac.za/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10413/1315/Jones_AD_2008.pdf?sequence=1

"....Despite the popularity of non-circular chain rings and the apparent mechanical advantage

derived from their use, the findings of this study were unable to provide support for significant

physiological advantages when using Rotor Q-rings with an eccentricity ratio of 1.10 and 74° default

setting, during an incremental cycling test to exhaustion. While the borderline significance of the lower

V

mean maximal blood lactate concentration following the Q-ring trial requires confirmation in a larger

study, the possible roles of training, higher eccentricity ratios and different orientations of the crank to the

chain ring in eliciting a physiological advantage, require further investigation."

http://www.noncircularchainring.be/pdf/Biomechanical%20study%20chainrings%20-%20release%202.pdf

(I can't pretend to be able to decipher the conclusion of this report, ".....However, the results of the biomechanical study show clearly that, in many cases, ‘advantages’ and ‘disadvantages’ are inseparable". I think this talks to a compromise offering between performance and joint stress?)

It may well be that the advantages offered by several people previously in this thread are of a nature that haven't to date been studied?

I still need to find a cheap way of converting my bike to 1 x with Oval chainring. Problem is that the frame takes PF30 so I had to use a SRAM BB30 crank and mine is 120 BCD.

I still need to find a cheap way of converting my bike to 1 x with Oval chainring. Problem is that the frame takes PF30 so I had to use a SRAM BB30 crank and mine is 120 BCD.

Can you not take the spider off of it and go spiderless?

A couple of hits from a google search on 'elliptical chain rings'. Granted I'm sure there are differing manufacturers of these rings, each with their own design, and one might wish to argue that the various physiological/exercise tests aren't comprehensive enough, but a cursory look-see is interesting if nothing else. The first two are empirical studies from a peer-reviewed journal and a Master's dissertation (I can't comment on whether it was a successful submission) respectively; the third appears to be a mathematical study from a blog site (perhaps?).....

http://researchrepository.murdoch.edu.au/4074/

".....Total power output was not different (P = .40) between the circular (340 ± 30 W) or either elliptical chainring condition (342 ± 29 W and 341 ± 31 W). Similarly, no differences (P = .73) in 2 km mean power output were observed between conditions. Further, no differences in RPE were observed between conditions measured at 3, 6, and 8.5 km. Heart rate was significantly greater (P = .02) using the less aggressive elliptical setting (174 ± 10 bpm) compared with the circular setting (171 ± 9 bpm)....."

http://researchspace.ukzn.ac.za/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10413/1315/Jones_AD_2008.pdf?sequence=1

"....Despite the popularity of non-circular chain rings and the apparent mechanical advantage

derived from their use, the findings of this study were unable to provide support for significant

physiological advantages when using Rotor Q-rings with an eccentricity ratio of 1.10 and 74° default

setting, during an incremental cycling test to exhaustion. While the borderline significance of the lower

V

mean maximal blood lactate concentration following the Q-ring trial requires confirmation in a larger

study, the possible roles of training, higher eccentricity ratios and different orientations of the crank to the

chain ring in eliciting a physiological advantage, require further investigation."

http://www.noncircularchainring.be/pdf/Biomechanical%20study%20chainrings%20-%20release%202.pdf

(I can't pretend to be able to decipher the conclusion of this report, ".....However, the results of the biomechanical study show clearly that, in many cases, ‘advantages’ and ‘disadvantages’ are inseparable". I think this talks to a compromise offering between performance and joint stress?)

It may well be that the advantages offered by several people previously in this thread are of a nature that haven't to date been studied?

Or its the placebo effect

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Must be why Froomy's using it (as well as other Euro Pro's)  :whistling:

Ask yourself the following question....if they are so amazing why do all the pro's not ride with them? 

SPONSORS.... MONEY MONEY MONEY......

Thanks for the input guys, I've decided to rather stay with round chainrings, than risk sitting with something that I might not like or might not work for me.

Hi. My bike had a round 30t ring up front. I bought a 32t oval from Rapide and Wayne there kindly helped me fit it. Went for a ride today and I didn't notice much that I am on an oval. It gave me what I wanted which was higher top end on the flats.

As for the oval shape I did notice a smoothed out pedal stroke while going uphill. Seemed that pedalling was a bit more efficient uphill. No downsides for me so I am very happy with it.

Off topic a bit I rode at Modders and notice that the chinese Zendai group is building all around it. Inside the reserve they've cut roads all over- not so nice- I guess this reserve sadly won't last many years to come at this rate and what a pity that will be. 

The route I rode was yellow red until the river section and then I head off on the black route up the rocks etc lots of fun. I see they have extended it into the bundu and abandoned buildings which was super nice although a bit scary on my own. Fun obstacles and added distance too.

Back to the oval- I had done the first black route before on a round ring. Today for the black and extended section black on the oval- I did feel more stable and confident with the oval- when I needed instant acceleration it was there with the oval and that made it a better ride.

If it's a placebo and it works, it's not a placebo.  :clap:

Archived