Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

Best place to train, Suickerbos improved my cycling better than any riding I used to do in JHB. If you can ride two laps there any hill you face out on the road will be easy.

Is what I thought.....and then I did the Jock tour!!!!!

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Group of us rode out there again yesterday. Every ride there reminds us of what a beautiful area it is and how fortunate we to have such a gem! 
Not many places in the world where you can access such a loop.

• 4 months later...

Just wondering, only been to SBR once.

How safe would it be to ride there alone. Both from a security point of view as well as an emergency point of view should something happen ?

It will more than likely be a Sunday morning

How safe would it be to ride there alone. Both from a security point of view as well as an emergency point of view should something happen ?

ridden alone more times than i can remember , just carry a cell and always be smart enough to tell someone important where you are and what time you expected home ,

i have had a friend hit a jackall and its did not end well for him so please be safe on the fast descends 

Plenty safe. As mentioned be sure to let someone know about your ride though and eta. Still pretty remote with some proper descents. 

Worthwhile activating Beacon on Strava or using an emergency app like MySos.

ridden alone more times than i can remember , just carry a cell and always be smart enough to tell someone important where you are and what time you expected home ,

i have had a friend hit a jackall and its did not end well for him so please be safe on the fast descends 

problem is CellC reception is not all that great around the loop.

I have live track enabled on the Garmin, but it does not help if the Cellphone does not have reception.

Not just Cell C. The hills and valleys block a lot of cellphone transmission.

There are usually a fair number of cyclists there at any time. If you get into trouble, someone will come along in a while, especially if you start out early (soon as possible after the gates open).

Must be one of the safest and most enjoyable cycling routes in Gauteng, even if some of the climbs are a bit hectic.

I think overall it is safe but a month ago I had a major crash on the fast downhill 13km from the start, most people asked if I was OK but it still took 20 minutes for my friends to get back to me and then another 40minutes to get a car to me to get me back to the start, so if nobody sees you going over the barriers (God forbid it happens) it could be a very long time before you get help, but as someone said there are many cyclist there and you should get help if something happens.

I think overall it is safe but a month ago I had a major crash on the fast downhill 13km from the start, most people asked if I was OK but it still took 20 minutes for my friends to get back to me and then another 40minutes to get a car to me to get me back to the start, so if nobody sees you going over the barriers (God forbid it happens) it could be a very long time before you get help, but as someone said there are many cyclist there and you should get help if something happens.

A friend of mine connected one of the uprights on the barrier on that downhill with his quad, and made a very big hole with lots of blood. So you do have to watch your downhill skills.  Otherwise personal safety seems to be no problem.

Id suggest going there with someone until you are familiar with the route or if you going to go alone just take it really easy on the descent. I done two laps this past saturday, it was magnificent. You will love it.

I need to go ride there for MTB training uphills. Is it an all tarred road route, or are there some off road routes as well?

I have been tempted to ride at suikers on my own but those downhills are hectic and it is pretty isolated. 

So I would say rather go ride with a mate or if you really want to go ride by yourself, let everybody know where you are and how long you expected to be gone for.

I posted it somewhere but I had a mate come off badly there and he had to be airlifted to hospital.

I need to go ride there for MTB training uphills. Is it an all tarred road route, or are there some off road routes as well?

Tar only. Still worth doing.