WPCA Country Classic Series

City Cycling  Athletic Club

Cat 3 - 80 kms - they don't do the climb up the Pass.

As per website:

Category 1, 2 and 3 cyclists completing the 86 km road race. Entry fee is payable.

Category 1, 2 and 3 cyclists who are competing in the 86km race will pay the entry fee of R 150 each.  You can register online and pay Western Province Cycling or pay cash on the day at registration (a R50 late registration fee will apply for Category 1 – 3 on-the-day entries).

Thanks for the clarification AA. I jumped into the deep end and entered. Hopefully they will seed me in CAT2 so that i can be the last one up that climb.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the clarification AA. I jumped into the deep end and entered. Hopefully they will seed me in CAT2 so that i can be the last one up that climb.

Eventually found more info on site:

Route Description – depart Piketberg , ride out to the right turn to Eendekuil , ride past the town of Eendekuil toward the N7 and make a U Turn in the road and return the same route to Piketberg. Category 1 and Category 2 will make the right turn to ‘So you think you can Climb’ up Versfeld Pass.

This is how I like events, low entry fee, no goodie bags, no water points, no bells & whistles at the finish - just 3 (more or less) equally matched groups and off you go racing,

That Versveld pass was as brutal as expected, our Cat 2 group completely shattered and it was like a mtb race up there, each oke spinning & suffering at his own pace. Easily the steepest & toughest 5km's I have ever done in a road race.

Well done to Andy Arnesan and the organisers, I wish the PPA big whigs who tell us that it is just not possible to organise more road events could take a leaf out of your book - will see you in Slanghoek in October.

This is how I like events, low entry fee, no goodie bags, no water points, no bells & whistles at the finish - just 3 (more or less) equally matched groups and off you go racing,

That Versveld pass was as brutal as expected, our Cat 2 group completely shattered and it was like a mtb race up there, each oke spinning & suffering at his own pace. Easily the steepest & toughest 5km's I have ever done in a road race.

Well done to Andy Arnesan and the organisers, I wish the PPA big whigs who tell us that it is just not possible to organise more road events could take a leaf out of your book - will see you in Slanghoek in October NOVEMBER

• 25 September – Piketberg (“So You Think you can Climb”) – Sponsored by Nedbank Sports Trust (85 kms) - DONE AND DUSTED
  • 6 November – Slanghoek Valley (120kms)
  • 20 November – Caledon (“Stairway to Heaven and Earth”) (100kms)

Outriders Cycle Festival

• 11 December – Outriders Festival of Cycling – Killarney

the WPCA are looking into amending the date of the Stairway to Heaven & Earth to the 13 November because the next weekend has been 'hijacked' by another event - we await the go-ahead from the powers that be.

Hey Andy

thanks for a super event. loved racing in the countryside, it was so awesome to ride a route we (well me in anycase) never seen before.

Looking forward to Slanghoek!

Hope you get the dates for the last event sorted, i know you can't keep everyone happy, but i for one hope initial date stays as is then i will be able to finish series :-)

Hey Andy

thanks for a super event. loved racing in the countryside, it was so awesome to ride a route we (well me in anycase) never seen before.

Looking forward to Slanghoek!

Hope you get the dates for the last event sorted, i know you can't keep everyone happy, but i for one hope initial date stays as is then i will be able to finish series :-)

I intend to see you at the Slanghoek event:::

Already asked Andy whether I should bleed from the eyeballs in CAT ???? or Cat ???? ????

• 1 month later...

WPCA Country Classic Series

the WPCA have lined up 3 endurance races in the countryside. These races were chosen to complement the longer distance races hosted by other organisations during the same time.

• 25 September – Piketberg (“So You Think you can Climb”) – Sponsored by Nedbank Sports Trust (85 kms)
  • 6 November – Slanghoek Valley (120kms)
  • 13 November – Caledon (“Stairway to Heaven and Earth”) (80kms)

Outriders Cycle Festival

• 11 December – Outriders Festival of Cycling – Killarney

This annual event is picking up momentum and we encourage the whole family to join. There will again be the usual Cat 1, 2 and 3 racing, fixie races, scholar events, sprints and fun ride, as well as kid events and an expo. More information to follow soon.

We are working on a number of races for the new season, which will again see a mix between criteriums and endurance races. More information will follow in December.

Seeding

The Summer Series will be based on rider seeding. Riders will no longer be able to pick their category, which will now be assigned based on your performance during the winter season. Seeding will be published prior to the Piketberg race. You will be able to re-use your 2016 race numbers irrespective of the category you are placed in.

Did the Slanghoek race yesterday. Beautiful day and nice course.

Pity the turnout seemed smallish, no place to hide in the tiny bunch! Got dropped halfway through the second lap in the nasty crosswinds, one benefit of the lap format is that it saved me a 40km TT and I only had a 20km solo ride to the finish  :ph34r:

Best of luck to the organisers for the Caledon event, can't make this one but looking forward to see what events you got planned for summer  :thumbup:

The last race of the Summer Season - Stairway to Heaven - Caledon - Hemel & Aarde - Caledon

Shaws Mountain on the way back to finish

post-672-0-94396600-1479135886_thumb.jpg

same Shaws Mountain

post-672-0-99974800-1479135939_thumb.jpg

last k's to the finish after Shaws - theres a little green dot in the distance - LBL Rohan du Plooy , chased by 5 riders.  then Tim Jenkison  - the rest of the field blown apart up the climb.

post-672-0-29590300-1479135984_thumb.jpg

a few lessons learnt - trust your gut feel - even little towns are busy at 10.30ish on a Sunday morning. over 1300metres of climbing in 70 odd k's and then a little 4 lap crit around the town to finish it off.

we'll be back to this area again - great route.

Great scenes there, Andy

Thanks for sharing

Were the wind gods angry too?

a little front side wind from the left on the way the H&A (white line rule obeyed) LOL. which then helped on the way back. cold conditions (and here we wre thinking the okes are going to chop off in the heat)

Archived