Route from Cape Town via Stellenbosch to Hermanus

Nanninga

Hi,

We would like to bike from CT via Stellenbosch to Hermanus (or the other way round),

Will take  luggage with us and sleep in guesthouses.

Up to now I only find circular trails.

Where can I find more info?

CT -> Stellenbosch -> Franschoek -> Villiersdorp -> Botrivier/Caledon -> Hermanus

CT -> Stellenbosch -> Somerset West -> Gordons Bay -> Kleinmond -> Hermanus

The second route is alot more scenic but you are riding a road without a shoulder. (Alot of cyclist to use this road so its up to you) I would also rather start in Stellenbosch as you would go past some less desirable areas if you avoid the highways. Also do your homework. Alot of highjack hotspots around stellenbosch where its not safe to cycle even in a group.

post-25630-0-72777700-1473825881_thumb.png

post-25630-0-09089200-1473825883_thumb.png

post-25630-0-53119600-1473825884_thumb.png

CT -> Stellenbosch -> Franschoek -> Villiersdorp -> Botrivier/Caledon -> Hermanus

CT -> Stellenbosch -> Somerset West -> Gordons Bay -> Kleinmond -> Hermanus

The second route is alot more scenic but you are riding a road without a shoulder. (Alot of cyclist to use this road so its up to you) I would also rather start in Stellenbosch as you would go past some less desirable areas if you avoid the highways. Also do your homework. Alot of highjack hotspots around stellenbosch where its not safe to cycle even in a group.

route 1.1.png

route 1.2.png

route 2.png

I have ridden those routes before and both are cool.

The Gordon's Bay route without the shoulder isn't the biggest issue, cars are driving slowly there, however that section from Arabella to Vermont is *** just be careful there of the Speedie Gonzales drivers.

Enjoy!

Do you want to ride road or through the mountains?

Finding a road route is easy. Through the mountains you'll be crossing so many private properties that you'll either have to find servitude roads, or use gravel back roads.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

CT -> Stellenbosch -> Franschoek -> Villiersdorp -> Botrivier/Caledon -> Hermanus :thumbup:  :thumbup:

but...

Cape town city to muizenberg then R310 via Strandfontein to Stellenbosch

(also has some dodgy bits but better than the N2)

Cape town city to muizenberg then R310 via Strandfontein to Stellenbosch

(also has some dodgy bits but better than the N2)

Nooit, I'd never cycle this route.  The road is rough with no shoulder in places and cars go fast down there.  Not to mention the fact that it goes past a small piece of Khayelitsha...  :ph34r:

Nooit, I'd never cycle this route.  The road is rough with no shoulder in places and cars go fast down there.  Not to mention the fact that it goes past a small piece of Khayelitsha...  :ph34r:

ive ridin it ^_^

there is no shoulder for a short part just out of muizenberg then its actually a good road the section next to informal settlement (about 5km) is flat or downhill towards Stellenbosch :whistling:

and id rather do this road than the N2 from city to airport and beyond (which I think is illegal anyway isn't it and goes past every informal settlement in western cape :w00t: )

ive ridin it ^_^

there is no shoulder for a short part just out of muizenberg then its actually a good road the section next to informal settlement (about 5km) is flat or downhill towards Stellenbosch :whistling:

and id rather do this road than the N2 from city to airport and beyond (which I think is illegal anyway isn't it and goes past every informal settlement in western cape :w00t: )

And the fact that you are 105% sure that you will get robbed of everything you own and probably stabbed as well. Well thats what happens on that piece of road if you get a flat with your car.

dude lighten up ;)

its not an instruction its just my 2 cents (I didn't get robbed or stabbed and ive ridin it a few times)

ive ridin it ^_^

I've considered riding there many times (I live Fish Hoek side and my folks live in Stanford, so this thread is perfect for me!), but every time I drive there I think no ways.  Maybe if I was with a relatively large group, but definitely not solo!

dude lighten up ;)

its not an instruction its just my 2 cents (I didn't get robbed or stabbed and ive ridin it a few times)

Referring to N2 past airport.

Baden Powell stretch between Muizenberg & Strandfontein also has sand blown into the road at some sections, so that piece where you would normally hug the edge of the road is no longer forcing you into the middle of that lane. But traffic is low outside of peak hour times so I'll still consider this an option.

Thank you all. I thought around Cape Town might be safer than Malawi, but it seems it is not....

Do you mean you get robbed during day hours? Does that mean the road is quite empty or that people just let you get robbed.

We have lived in Malawi and there it is safe to ride a bike as long as it is light and you stick to the villages / secondary roads.

But I understand that is not possible?

Hi,

We would like to bike from CT via Stellenbosch to Hermanus (or the other way round),

Will take  luggage with us and sleep in guesthouses.

Up to now I only find circular trails.

Where can I find more info?

Why not get an uber to take your bags to Hermanus guest house for you? Then you just ride there? Lank chilled.

Archived