Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

Consumer choice in this country just took a bit of a hit. SRAM will no longer allow its retailers in the UK, and the EU to sell to SA. CRC have already stopped. Log on with your delivery country as SA and no SRAM products will display. 

I understand the reasoning but I think it is a two edged sword. My cycling is made possible by the lower prices on specials you can get from time to time in the EU. I would probably not be riding a Pike fork if I had to pay the then local prices of R12k or so. What do i do in future - maybe sell up and move to a cheaper sport? Refuse to buy SRAM anymore? Use a foreign forwarding address? 

One of the reasons is warranty claims. Apparently people order  from overseas and expect the local guys to warranty the product. I can't believe people do that, but I am sure it does happen.  

According to a shop owner, prices of SRAM kit is coming down, but I wonder if we will ever be on a par with our friends in Europe as far as pricing is concerned. The ability to order in when times are tough helps keep us riding when the Rand plunges. Not anymore as far as SRAM is concerned.

Any loss of choice for the hard pressed consumer in SA is a bad thing IMO. What say the rest of you?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say boo. Boo, I say. 

Shimano refusing to supply stores unless they make a massive initial stock order, SRAM refusing to allow online retailers to supply outside their geographic areas. FFS. I understand the why of it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. 

Bollocks. 

And it's not only us, either. It's global. Aus, NZ, USA etc all have the same problem, according to le pinkbike. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I noticed on Sunday that SRAM does not appear on CRC anymore (same with Garmin). I was perplexed now it makes sense. Truth be told though: I've been riding SRAM and Shimano on my bikes for a long time and I cannot think of a single time I've had to warranty something. After all, chains wear out and cassettes don't exactly fail. So, from a consumables point of view the warranty argument doesn't hold water, perhaps for things like shifters or high end gadgets on road bikes (but for MTB the biggest cost is items that wear).

It seems that the US is still OK, although it's been a mission finding a PG1070 11-36 even in the US.

Temporarily I think it might be a good thing, In a fantasy world....people will ride what they have and only replace the consumables... SRAM/Shimano etc will see sales drop as people do not buy the latest and greatest or upgrade and hopefully prices will adjust (drop) locally to entice us to shop.

Will people be pragmatic and stop buying... alas I doubt it :(

So ya online shopping overseas going to be a lot tougher and a lot more work searching to see who and where will deliver to SA 

Protectioneering.Given such a small market, i dont see how the local agents and retailers can push sufficient volumes to drop the price significantly, ie to match the value propositions offered by overseas markets. I wouldn't have a Lyrik if it wasn't for the overseas markets. the current retail price of almost R20k is just fuggin stupid, and I imported mine, landed at my door, for literally thousands less than local.

Have a pound credit card and a forwarding address in the UK. Not the end of the world, not that I buy anything SRAM, garmin may be useful.

The problem with that is you don't get the VAT off, so everything is 20% more expensive.

So all this means now is that Shimano will get more sales because SRAM are being A-holes.

I AM SURE THERE IS SOME BEAN COUNTER SITTING BEHIND A DESK THINKING THIS MAKES PERFECT SENSE

It was actually someone from sram, who shall remain anonymous, and it has more to do with all the grey imported bikes that are being stripped and the parts sold by a few well known jhb shops. The only way to combat it is to try and stop all grey imports, including mail order etc. It is a bit *** if you are on a tight budget , as i am. Also i dont know how it will stop the import of complete bikes with oem parts being broken up, unless sram refuses to supply said bike companies if they continue to ship to sa