XTR Di2 Battery Power Problems

Johan A Marais

Need some help or advice on what to do with my Di2 which keeps on loosing power i.e. battery drains without the bike being used.

We (LBS) have replaced the battery and the cable from the battery to the junction box already. The online system check says all components are good.

To give an idea. From fully charged the battery lost one bar power on day 1 of Origin, same happened on day 2. From Sunday to yesterday it lost a further 80% of power just standing.

I fully charged it last night, and this morning it jas dropped one bar again...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

i've heard moisture in the frame can cause battery issues.

solved by removing the seatpost and letting the battery dry

maybe it is shorting?

seems odd

i've heard moisture in the frame can cause battery issues.

solved by removing the seatpost and letting the battery dry

maybe it is shorting?

seems odd

Thanks Furbz, somehow I also think it must be moisture related, but it is a MTB IKE afterall... it will always get wet...

I will try your suggestion i. e. only do that and see how long it works/last.

I will try your suggestion i. e. only do that and see how long it works/last.

Yup, try one thing at a time when troubleshooting. Good luck

I would unplug 1 component at a time...if it is not the derailleur for example then try the selector...if non of the components are faulty unplug the component source cable..

I haven't looked at the seat post setup but surely it is sealed once plugged

You could use a multimeter to check how many amps are being drawn. You might have to splice a cable to easily get multimeter readings.

Also some heat shrink over connectors would be a slighly better seal.

I would unplug 1 component at a time...if it is not the derailleur for example then try the selector...if non of the components are faulty unplug the component source cable..

I haven't looked at the seat post setup but surely it is sealed once plugged

I use the very light KCNC seat post which is not a sealed unit at the top, so water can easily get in... maybe worth changing the seat post then. Did found a lot of moisture when I took everything out of the seat post...

I wouldn't cut the cables...you gona create more problems for yourself.

The Di2 connectors if plugged in correctly shouldn't require additional seal

I assume the bike and the components are out of warranty?

If you don't come right...I would strip the everything off the bike and check all the cables for damage...setup the system and monitor it...1 bar is a very light current loss...goggle might also be your friend.

Ditto about cutting cables, not a good idea.

It might be the CPU/microcontroller not going to sleep properly, or another erroneous form of parasitic power consumption or is that stating the obvious :o 

Can you firmware update these things?

Ditto about cutting cables, not a good idea.

Its might be the CPU not going to sleep properly, or another erraneous form of parasitic power consumption. Can you firmware update these things?

You can, and they update all the time. I would think the LBS would probably have done that as when you connect them to the laptop it'll prompt to update. 

Sounds like either as mentioned above a faulty component or moisture around the battery. 

The computer software is up to date.

The firmware of all the components are updated.

The battery and cable to to the junction box is new.

The derailleur is set correctly and limit screws are set correctly.

All the cables have been checked for damage.

The seat post and battery have been cleaned and moisture removed.

Each component has been individually disconnected.

The battery is still loosing power?

Thanks all for your feedback.  I do all the software updates myself - have the equipment to do this.  So all is good here.  I removed the battery and yip, a lot of moisture.  Cleaned it up, dried it out, charge it up, and all is good - no overnight power lost... :clap:

So water/moisture is absolutely getting in via my seat-post as mentioned earlier.  :thumbdown: Have the same seat-post on my road-bike, and just did a Di2 upgrade here.  No doubt I could expect to see the same problem here... :eek:

Is the battery loosing the power if it is completely disconnected? I have had many batteries from brand new loose power like this. check the battery on it own. if all good then plug in one component and leave for 24 hours then check then disconnect and plug in another for 24 hours. once you have gone through each component then start with two at a time.

what were the advantages of Di2 again? :ph34r:

It can move the chain from the small ring to the big ring in 0.35 seconds faster than a manual shift...marginal gains [emoji13] for us old people that is huge...time is limited as we get older...got to save every second.

Archived