Headset Bearings - how to find same codes on Ebay

New Landy new life

I just bought a set of Headset bearings and paid R360 for a set which I found a bit steep.

I wanted to shop on E-bay for a spare set, but find the codes that I have on the samples difficult to trace with what is listed.

My samples have as follows:

Bottom TH MR 1271.5  36 x 45  D5

Top TH MR 1221 - 1/8" 36 x 45 G5

Can anyone shed some light as to the dimensions that I could search for on E-bay.

Ta

I once bought from Aliexpress.com. Look for an ACB type bearing, this is Angular Contact Bearing. You would need to measure the inner diameter and outer diameter of the bearing, as well as the angle or slope inside and outside. For example, the angle could be 45 degrees or 36 degrees. So the 45 and 36 probably refers to the slope of the bearing angle.

If you find them, buy a lot as they don't last long.

Another thing, measure the diameters with a vernier, they can be fractions of a mm different. Then you need different sized spacers which normally come with the headset kit. Obviously you don't get these if you buy the individual bearings.

Can be a bit of a mine field!  That said R360 for a set of a 1.5" and 1 1/8" bearing is not the most expensive I have come across.

The Giant packaged ones are the cheapest I have found.  The 1.5" retails for about R150 and the 1 1/8" around R100.   The Enduro equivalent are slightly more.  Just take in your old ones to match.

The Giant packaged ones are the cheapest I have found. The 1.5" retails for about R150 and the 1 1/8" around R100. The Enduro equivalent are slightly more. Just take in your old ones to match.

David, what size bearing do I need for od2 top bearing

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

David, what size bearing do I need for od2 top bearing

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I don't know but you might ask AlanD here on the hub.  I think he has one.

• 6 months later...

Peeps i need some help here 

Bought A stumpjumper and the headset bearings are pretty much toast so want to go to my local supplier and pick up a set but I need the right codes ( I will obviously take bearings along with me)

For the bike below , I also attached the headset spec ...what I can see if that I'll need 

1-1/8 bearing  and 

1-1/2 bearing both with A 45deg chamfer , right ?

post-46013-0-71705300-1498642665_thumb.png

post-46013-0-77337800-1498642666_thumb.png

Peeps i need some help here 

Bought A stumpjumper and the headset bearings are pretty much toast so want to go to my local supplier and pick up a set but I need the right codes ( I will obviously take bearings along with me)

For the bike below , I also attached the headset spec ...what I can see if that I'll need 

1-1/8 bearing  and 

1-1/2 bearing both with A 45deg chamfer , right ?

Have the current bearings got codes on them? The codes are pretty much standard.

For eg look here,

http://www.tokencycling.co.za/tbt-ceramic-bearings/tbt-ceramic-bearings.html

Those are mostly wheel bearings though, I think. I know I got my bearings for my Novatec hubs from here and the codes matched.

Have the current bearings got codes on them? The codes are pretty much standard.

For eg look here,

http://www.tokencycling.co.za/tbt-ceramic-bearings/tbt-ceramic-bearings.html

Those are mostly wheel bearings though, I think. I know I got my bearings for my Novatec hubs from here and the codes matched.

Yes but got some good corrosion over them , doesn't look like the previous owner took great care of the headset

Archived