Garmin 520 recording issue

Furbz

We had similar issues. Switched off the sleep function under activity profile and now it's 100% for last few rides

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same problem. The unit is currently in for warranty. If it's a software thing then the new unit will have the same issue though. It's hugely frustrating for such a high end product not to work as it should!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

i got my unit swapped out.

i reported back to Garmin RSA that the issue still existed - i didn't get a response from them at all

figured not much i can do about it so just dealing with the problem

i got my unit swapped out.

i reported back to Garmin RSA that the issue still existed - i didn't get a response from them at all

figured not much i can do about it so just dealing with the problem

Im gonna test mine during the week again.. if my elevation get stuck again im also gonna contact garmin... maybe then they will listen and bring out better software.. never had the problem before but last 3 rides was chaos..

So i phoned navworld. They say they gonna hard reset it and reload software. If problem persist they will gladly replace unit...

So i phoned navworld. They say they gonna hard reset it and reload software. If problem persist they will gladly replace unit...

They did that to mine last week Wednesday. On the first ride on Thursday the problem was still there. My unit is 2 weeks out of warranty so Navworld couldnt help me. Now its with Garmin and Im hoping for some favours...

They did that to mine last week Wednesday. On the first ride on Thursday the problem was still there. My unit is 2 weeks out of warranty so Navworld couldnt help me. Now its with Garmin and Im hoping for some favours...

What is wrong with yours.. same as mine?

I told Omar that i cant come back again after this weekend because i got a race on the weekend after. This unit of mine was a swop out on a crack screen 3 months ago....

• 2 months later...

switched on the 520 this morning...option auto off...ok or cancel...pressed cancel...the unit went dead.

plugged into the charger...nothing dead...waited for about 10 min...still nothing...did my ride got back and tried again nothing...dead as disco.

google...found this issue is common...the solution...hold the power on button for 15 seconds...a black line across the screen then walla power on...but then it just decided to hang...put it down waited a few minutes and tried again...the software menu appeared...and decided to hang again...waited another 10 min...held the power on button again for 15 seconds...eventually it switched on...its plugged into the charger (73 %)...will try it again later.

My unit does the same, 3 months old and nav world told me to check batteries. I think switching the sleep function off might be a possible solution. Will give it a go tomorrow.

Also I think dealing with this vs setting up the 520 again, I choose to deal! 

couldnt get the 520 to sync with my phone after the power issue...switched both devices (iphone 5 and 520) off and on...tried again still nothing.

plugged both devices into the PC...opened garmin express...it indicted that it could not open until the latest software update was loaded...did the update...plugged in the 520...also had a block indicating software update required...updated the device.

ride sync'd :)

Just out of interest are all the complaints here from locally purchased units? To date I have brought in 3 x 820's and a 520 for myself and mates and the units have all been faultless, touch wood. We have even loaded Openstreet maps and units still functioning 100%.

Morning... Maybe a bit of a hijack. To date i haven't had any issues with my 520, but what i would like to know... Why does it only pick up certain segments and not all segments? Can someone help me with this?

Morning... Maybe a bit of a hijack. To date i haven't had any issues with my 520, but what i would like to know... Why does it only pick up certain segments and not all segments? Can someone help me with this?

Talking about on strava?

Yes

I have also noticed that before on strava. I was thinking that either my accuracy wasn't that good at the time of doing that segment or the guys accuracy that created it wasn't good and you don't trigger the start, finish points close enough. There are 2 segments near me that start and finish very close to each other. The one is a mtb single track next to the road and the other follows the road. The "mtb" one is a bit shorter as it takes a "short cut" but the genuine times are a lot slower than the road times. Rode the road segment in a small group and strava had half of us on the road segement and half on the mtb segment. The guys that it said rode the mtb segment all triggered the KOM. 

• 3 weeks later...

We experienced similar issues but on a 820. Replaced under warrenty so we will wait and see

On the 520 we found that the units iro distance change from metric to statute randomly. Garmin changed their protocol. To sortt this out set your units on Garmin Connect (throuhg your computer)not on the unit. You have to 1st set it as statute then do a sync then change to metric and sync again. Seems to be sorted

• 1 year later...

Just updating this thread.

my Garmin to date still has this issue.

a brief history of the issue.

during rides my garmin disconnects all ant+ and bluetooth devices. phone, radar, power pedals, lights, everything!

it then reconnects to them.

this at first was irritating as it did it in the middle of a FTP test.

New issues i've noticed since then:

when the disconnect and reconnect happens.

the radar connects but no longer works. it stops showing cars.

live track function also falls over and in a similar fashion stops working.

at the end of the ride much as the phone and Garmin show they are connected it is impossible to sync the workout.

the only solution is to fully turn the 520 unit off and then turn it back on.

this solves all issues but is really a pain in the arse as that means i would need to do this 2-3 times a ride!

the only reason i'm now posting again with this issue is my wife thought i was stuck on the side of the road in Krugersdorp for 2 hours and had a real panic moment.

(this is when i figured the problem also affects live track)

now the worst part.

the original unit was swapped out by Garmin as they could not solve the issue.

the new unit immediately had the same issue.

which means it is not a hardware issue, it is a software fault.

this software fault has been around since dec 2016. and no firmware upgrades have fixed it.

now i love Garmin devices, i have invested into the entire range of lights, radar, watches, fitness trackers, head units etc.

so i really cannot just go to a different unit.

i wonder if other units (820 or 1030) also suffer with this issue? 

Archived