cyclist mugged at Bloemendal this morning.

steveO:K

Anyone have any further information.

I understand a trap was set on the Bloemendaler. Cyclist beat up and bicycle was stolen. No further info at this stage.

Anyone have any further information.

I understand a trap was set on the Bloemendaler. Cyclist beat up and bicycle was stolen. No further info at this stage.

eesh that's not great - hope he is ok

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE HEARD...

This was just posted on another Whatsapp group...

Hi guys...please share this on your mountainbike page! Just after 19h00 I was hijacked by two guys. I was going down Bloemslang(Bloemendal) when I was thrown off my bike...the hijackers has set a wire between two trees...luckily when I went through it the wire went over my chest and shoulders and with the high speed I was going the wire luckily snapped and I was thrown from my bike....if it was a tad higher it cold have been fatal...at that moment I did not know what was going on and I saw the wire hanging from the tree...that was wen I was hit with a log against my head...luckily my helmet took most of the hit. As I got up a second guy approached me and I took him out with one solid punch in the face...he was man down...I then was hit again with the log by the other guy over my back and went down again...when I got up I could see in the hijackers face that it's time for him to run like hell and that's just what he did...I quickly grabbed my bike and tried to get out of sight ASAP!!! I phoned my friend Dewald Brand to assist me...needles to say he was there in a flash and still no sight of the police....I'm okay with a swollen back/head and bruises here and there. As I was trying to get away I could hear that they were coming for me but after a while everything went quiet...I got out safely!! I must say that if it wasn't for my wrestling skills things could have gone wrong...the one that I hit will have to take food through a straw as he went down very hard and my hand are swollen from the hit. To the one who hit me twice with the log...you got lucky!!! Please be safe out there!!! Dewald...dankie weereens dat jy so vinnig daar was om te help!!!

Official reply / comment from the Tygerberg Club : 

"We have had reports that some unsavory charcacters tried to mug and hijack a rider on Bloemendal by spanning wire across the trail. The gengleman in question is fine and managed to chase them off. Our trail gnomes and marshalls will do a sweep of the entire trail to ensure there are no more suprises. Please be vigilent and try and ride in groups."

Mmm one of my favourite trails. I presume these might be some farm workers? Someone with knowledge of the farm! Trail?

Damn... Wish I had wresting skills. Glad your are okay bud. Sho, Bloemendal is my frequently track I ride, but in the early morning though.

Sent from Pure Android

Eish glad his ok, here's another one I received from a buddy not sure of it's true.

Another incident i just heard of but on the road:

Ge bike jack vanoggend...nou by Durbanville Mediclinc sleutel been af ...Silverback gevat...padfiets.. X stale gevat..wag nou vir dokter. 2 kleurlinge in n wyn rooi polo...Brakenfell Blvd bo by die Water resevior...van agter gestamp met kar...van die fiets af..

This rider is my kind of hero. Knocked off his bike at speed, gets klapoed on the head twice with a log, breaks one gangster's head and gets out with all his gear.

I'd like to ride in this man's group! Way to go rider!

Thanks for the clarity.

This is really concerning. Many people ride this trail alone, including myself. The fact that they had time to set the trap is alarming.

We had a spate of muggings about 10 years ago. The guy was apprehended. ... think he came from nearby Phisantekraal.

I am not convinced that the farm workers are involved. Opportunists from Dunoon perhaps.

Hopefully the victim will be able to identify the guys.

This sucks. Not feeling safe on the trails is one step short of the end if the world.... well almost.

Well at least they could look around on the farm for a guy with A "skeef" nose or swollen face 

#domsot

Would like to know which section of the trail this happened on.

Bloemslang according to the message.

Sent from Pure Android

I would be very surprised if this was in any way connected to the farm. Access to the trail is easy and unobstructed. Far more likely that this criminal element has seen all the bikes headed onto the farm and reckons it's easier pickings than Table Mountain. 

Archived