More bike jackings! Melville

Patchelicious

3rd message this week that I have gotten about bike jackings on Rustenburg road, look a like the scum is back!

"Hi everyone just a heads up John and I got held up at gun point by 6 or 7 guys while cycling this morning along Rustenburg Road in Melville. I managed to escape however John wasn't too lucky and got hit in the face with the gun. His bike and cell phone were stolen.. Just be aware if you cycle in that area."

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eish, been there, done that...

Rustenburg Road in Melville? The one I know is Victory Park/Linden?

Hope John's injuries are minor

Eish, been there, done that...

Rustenburg Road in Melville? The one I know is Victory Park/Linden?

Hope John's injuries are minor

My bad, immediately thought of that corner in Melville, posted without thinking. (for once ;))

There was another hijacking here on Tuesday, so perhaps avoid.

Police don't seem to be doing anything - there was a request to sign a petition to get them to look into the problem on the site this week too.

attachicon.gif647T79WK.png

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/165547-bike-jacking-petition-to-saps/

Ah, that Rustenburg Rd... used to run it every Thursday when my inlaws lived in Westcliff. Pretty dodge area, was always pretty hasty through there. My bigger fear though was always soccer moms in giant SUV's on that narrow road with it's pretty much non existent verge  :eek:

From the 'I Love Melville' page ...

Danyle Nunes The Melville sector crime forum is trying to get hold of the victim or witnesses, mscf@ilovemelville.co.za 

Jay Cee Ward Cllr Bridget Steer together with JCPZ, Pikitup and JMPD visited that stretch of road yesterday. There is an action plan in motion regarding cleaning it up and continue to maintain it too. 

Ward Cllr will give more information as soon as its available.

cc: Melville Residents' Association

Bridget Steer I have arranged for JMPD to be at Rustenburg road (Richmond / Melville section) between 6:15 and 7:30 Monday to Friday next week. I encourage cyclists to use this safe window period to be on that road. 
City parks are clearing the over growth in the area to improve visibility for cyclists.

From the 'I Love Melville' page ...

Danyle Nunes The Melville sector crime forum is trying to get hold of the victim or witnesses, mscf@ilovemelville.co.za 

Jay Cee Ward Cllr Bridget Steer together with JCPZ, Pikitup and JMPD visited that stretch of road yesterday. There is an action plan in motion regarding cleaning it up and continue to maintain it too. 

Ward Cllr will give more information as soon as its available.

cc: Melville Residents' Association

Bridget Steer I have arranged for JMPD to be at Rustenburg road (Richmond / Melville section) between 6:15 and 7:30 Monday to Friday next week. I encourage cyclists to use this safe window period to be on that road. 

City parks are clearing the over growth in the area to improve visibility for cyclists.

This ward councillor seems very familiar   ;)

...well, the last Melville culprits received a ZAR500 fine each, IIRC.  Not really a huge disincentive, is it?

The (Sophiatown) SAPS and the (Newlands) Mag Court appear to no longer regard theft as a crime deserving of punishment.

It's not even worth the effort to discuss the identity of the perps - that discussion is no longer permitted in South Africa.

Lovely way to start the weekend.

This was part of some training I did years ago, something maybe useful when having to provide a description of someone and trying to remember features.

A Age

B Build

C Colour (Fine if only used in the context of providing a description and not a profile)

D Dress

E Eyes

F Facial features

G Gait (Spelling?) Is there anything distinguishing about how the person walks, eg limp

H Hair

The brain cells are not so good anymore, so cannot remember the rest. Sure S for Sex should be there as well.

Without wishing to labour the point - the issue here is not to do with identifying a suspect by their racial characteristics - ie) a black male hijacked a cyclist or a white female distracted the shop attendant while a white male pocketed the money from the till. This is essential and is not racism.

I am happy to elaborate on what the issue is if that is required but I am saddened to again realise that there is little point in doing so.

I am appalled by the hijacking in Rustenburg Road - my mother lives very nearby. I hope the perpetrators are brought to justice.

I made a mistake in reporting the post that was the original point of conflict here. I should have left it for more people to see so that the unacceptability of the attitude expressed could be made apparent.

What derails the convo about the ghastly crime situation isn't my calling someone out on racism, it's the manner in which particularly white people speak about racial issues around crime.

Gatvol of it. And bikebloke your asinine little pictures offer about as much nourishment to intelligent discourse as a happy meal as carbo loading for the argus.

Tired of training indoors 5 days a week to take a 30k + bike out once a month to race . For the sake of what ? You ride the roads you get flattened , ride mtb you get stabbed for your bike . Forget it , I'm done . You oaks can keep cycling , I'm gonna play more golf . ????????

Tired of training indoors 5 days a week to take a 30k + bike out once a month to race . For the sake of what ? You ride the roads you get flattened , ride mtb you get stabbed for your bike . Forget it , I'm done . You oaks can keep cycling , I'm gonna play more golf . ????????

Cyclists switching to golf? Might be good for that sport.....

I've been riding road and MTB for over 26 years and continue to do so. I try my best to be as safe as possible by being as careful as possible and when I do hear of highjackings around our area I adjust my routes. No way I will let that stop me from riding .... I am well aware of the risks associated but it's what I do and love to do!

Sounds like there was another attack there this morning.

Cyclist attacked with carving knife, managed to escape injury and get away from what can gather.

Rustenburg Road is one of the standard Sunday routes with Club 100 :eek: . Luckily reasonable size group and back up vehicle.

Archived