How to stop the Cycling Carnage on SA's roads?

Bonus

Anyone got any good ideas?

I'm looking to see why/how road cycling is so safe here in Spain. What are the differences etc.

When I have some useful info I will pass it on.

Bonus.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let the cyclists voices be heard. Organise critical mass style rides in all provinces to the relevant government offices, hand over reasons for the protest and list of possible action to be implemented. Continue on a monthly basis. Get the media involved.

Going to be a difficult one... taxi drivers, our neighbouring country foreigners that lives in Obs/Woodstock/Salt River area don't give a toss about their fellow road users, almost been run over many times commuting and then you have that odd lady who pulls out of a parking space on the side of the road who just drives off as though they are the only person on God's green earth!

To add to that, the state of the bicycle lane from town to the Southern Suburbs in Cape Town is quite bad, with people either parking in them, deteriorated road condition or broken glass! How much has the think bike campaign or stay wider of the ride actually changed the mindset of people? My opinion, not much at all! However, I hope it does change because I love commuting, it gives me a sense of accomplishment...

Change the Saffa mentality, black, white, green, fat, thin, tall, short, male, female. We all suffer from the same problem. No respect for each other.

I did write a whole thing and then realised it's so complicated that no one thing is going to change it. It has to be a total mind shift from different angles and it will take a long time to permeate. I think the WC gov' is trying to make Cape Town better and a more cycling friendly city on the overall view but is failing on the ground level with the path through from West Coast a mugging hot spot and the lanes in town / Woodstock parking zones but it's more than that, it's the attitudes across all society. From soccer moms heading to school through to delivery driver / taxi drivers there just isn't the need or will to respect riders it's all too much about 'what I'm doing is the most important thing'

The only way I found to protect myself and my family was to hang up my road wheels after racing and riding for the past 30+ years. Managed 5 years here in SAbefore it came to much of a worry and a selfish hobby that might leave my wife and kids without me.

Up side is sold the roadie, bought some great trail bikes, now do much less distance and try to crash on purpose! Kinda like being 12 again. ;)

1) Driver Education

We are faced with a licensing system, where large amounts of cases are reported of corruption.

Driving schools are dodgy A F in some instances. I have seen some of the most inconsiderate and dangerous driving from drivers of vehicles who are supposed "driving schools" where no student was at the wheel, but rather the trainer, probably late to meet his mates at the pub.

1a)Law enforcement

The current law enforcement authority in JHB (where I do 99% of my driving) is focused on speed trapping via camera, where a blurry picture of your vehicle is posted to you, weeks after the fact. This is purely a revenue stream for them, and does nothing to change the attitude of drivers.

Car licenses are checked on a regular basis, once again to be able to write fines to generate income. It's easy to go renew your car license, but this does not mean your vehivcle is roadworthy. Yearly roadworthiness needs to be implemented like in the UK.

It's way too easy to slip a cop some randelas to get off the hook. (I have never paid a bribe, nor will I ever)

2) Driver attitude:

Actions have no consequence.

Disregard for basic road rules, such as keep left, pass right. Stop at a stop street. Obey a red traffic light.

Obey the speed limit. (This one, 99% of drivers are guilty of)

Sense of self importance. (Yellow line driving)

3) Texting and driving

Facebook, twitter, whatsapp, instagram, the list is endless.

People seem to think being in traffic is a time to be productive, with devastating consequences. Second to drunk driving, this is the most dangerous behavior of motorists on the road.

This is where it has to start. Before we shout for cycle lanes, and any other campaign that we think may protect the cyclist, we need to force the authorities to do their jobs properly.

If each person starts with not speeding, it will force the pigs from under the trees, and into the streets to do some real police work.

Anyone got any good ideas?

I'm looking to see why/how road cycling is so safe here in Spain. What are the differences etc.

When I have some useful info I will pass it on.

Bonus.

Hi Bonus, I would like to give my opinion. But.... I like being a Hubber and I dont want to be banned.

Ive been hit by cars twice. I may strike out at number 3.

Be safe out there Guys.

It's not just taxis

Let's not create a target group. That is biased.

My closest encounters have been with bakkies and SUVs.

Drunken driving and texting-while-driving is a serious and prolific issue.

start with -

• all people to obey the laws (incl president etc)
  • Laws to be enforced for non compliance

sadly - on both above - epic fails here in sunny south africa - there will be more carnage on our roads, until above is taken care of ..

try drive 60 in a 60 zone or 120 in a 120 zone - for some reason you are seen as the "bad guy"

drunk driving - need I say more ? 

Drivers running red lights ..

unlicensed cars ...

unlicensed drivers ..

bribery ...

corruption ...

so lets not change anything, but try get what we have right first ...  it will go a long way to protect all of us ...

It is such an all encompassing problem. A culture of selfishness and aggression and indifference to others pervades our roads - and the only way cultures change is if the participants (that's every single one of us) modify their behaviour. 

The idea of cyclist VERSUS motorist has to die and in it's place a respect for the rules that govern traffic must be inculcated.

As a start I think we can do something while driving our cars - . Stop behind the line at all robots - do not go through on the last squeek of orange so that we are still in the intersection when the opposite direction traffic pulls off. Do not use the cell phone. The more people do this - the less acceptable it will become to behave in this way.

When cycling behave like the vehicle we want to be treated like - follow the rules - stop at robots even if it is "safe" to roll through the light - use hand signals.

Headed up chappies today a peleton of 15 or so riders, 4 abreast - the tannie in the car behind pulls out into the oncoming lane where I am coming down. Not OK!! 

Als0 -  it's not just cycling carnage - it is carnage. We see it because we are on the hub and because we constitute a vulnerable group of road users. 

The question was - what can be done about it. Got any ideas?

We are living in a 3rd world mentality. Spain not. 

Loose cog hit the nail on the head, it's mentality. And it's not something I believe can change very easily. It's like common sense, you either have it or you don't. It shouldn't be case of let me drive carefully and respect other people on the road because it's the law, it should be a case of let me drive safely for my own good and everyone's around me. Traffic laws are implemented in SA purely as a revenue stream.

Loose cog hit the nail on the head, it's mentality. And it's not something I believe can change very easily. It's like common sense, you either have it or you don't. It shouldn't be case of let me drive carefully and respect other people on the road because it's the law, it should be a case of let me drive safely for my own good and everyone's around me. Traffic laws are implemented in SA purely as a revenue stream.

I agree with this entirely.

In Spain it is the Law to (for example) pass cyclists with a minimum 1.5m gap. Everyone does it, without fail and I'm not convinced that they do it because they think a policeman might be watching.

They do it because it's just "what they do".

Spain is a civilized society inhabited by civilized people who can can see the consequences of their actions. When I am in Europe I see long lines of vehicles behind cyclists when unsafe to overtake even when cyclist is going 10 kays an hour uphill.

Then there is za..

I will no longer cycle from my house on my road bike, will shlep it to the cradle an cycle. Sad but can't leave my wife worrying about me..

Archived