Some notes and positive ideas for the PPA / CSA to implement

Mamil

I am somewhat heartened to see the article in the Cape Times more or less duplicating the email newsletter I received from the PPA this week. It's not enough to make me renew my membership in 2018 but it's a start.

There are numerous threads detailing what the problems are on the roads and the causes of them.

Perhaps a thread where POSITIVE IDEAS and proposals that the PPA and or CSA could implement might assist these bodies and their leaders to get some momentum around safety issues.

Here's a few I've been thinking about - the central point I believe is that as cyclists we must be seen  to be advocating safe road use for all - not just for cyclists - otherwise we send the message that we don't need to change, motorists do and that is just more of the same. A campaign aimed at making our roads safer for cyclists needs to show that cyclists are making the first move to commit to respecting the laws and other users.

So ...

Awareness campaign centered around a road user's pledge that PPA / CSA persuades as many cyclists as possible to take. Pledge is specific - no cell phone use when driving - no red robot rolling when driving or riding - no riding two abreast and obstructing traffic, no drinking and driving - in other words the pledge specifies the rules of the road for cyclists and drivers and we as cyclists make the pledge and invite other road users to do so too. Is written in emotive language - we promise to safeguard the safety of the children, the mothers, the fathers who use the roads. Pledge includes a call on transport and traffic authorities to devote resources to active policing of roads for the benefit of all road users - not just cyclists and for the aggressive prosecution of people who commit vehicular homicide. Demand that the law regarding leaving the scene of an accident be changed to make penalty harsher than staying and dealing with it. 

NB NB The aim of this pledge is to make explicit and reaffirm that social contract that governs our behaviour on the road. We as cyclists need to remind the society that when you get behind the wheel you are taking other people's lives into your hands, not just your own. It also seeks to build public pressure on the authorities to fulfill their end of this social contract - the policing of the laws.

Marketing of this campaign through social media as well as

- radio talk shows - invite the drivers who see us as road vermin to call in and vent about us - expose them - speak about the people who have been killed and how they were killed. Strong punting of the pledge campaign.

- Leaflet campaign - printing of leaflets and more of the "wider of the rider stickers" to be handed out at robots in all cities - leaflets detail the pledge and include a barcode thingy that people can scan on their phones to go to simple website where they sign the pledge. Relatively inexpensive and potentially far reaching campaign I think.

- accumulated signatories to pledge and demand for action from cyclists as well as general road users from authorities gets delivered to the local authorities of every major city in the country by a mass ride of commuters and sports people.

- Getting the stories of the people who have crashed into cyclists if possible and where appropriate - what is it like to live with having seriously injured / killed a cyclist - not just cyclists but pedestrians too - anyone who has walked anywhere on our roads knows that it is even worse than cycling them.

- Competition for most courteous driver - enlist co-operation of local radio shows - members of the public send in stories of courteous driving they see on the roads - maybe courteous driving regarding vulnerable road users - weekly prize given by a sponsor. 

I would happily triple my membership fee for the PPA if something like this campaign were launched and ran for the next year. Yes it will take resources but recreational cyclists seem to me to be the upper socio-economic tier, at least judging by how much bikes cost and the cars in the car park at events.

Write more ideas .... - I am pretty sure the leaders of the PPA / CSA read these forums - perhaps some of them can be implemented.

One thing for sure - if nothing is done come renewal time 2018 - PPA - I won't be renewing.

I feel that we need to try and change a generations perception about cycling and being a pedestrian. 

Not enough time is spent in educating people about about the rules of road usage.

This for me means that it needs to be incorporated into the school curriculum and our process of attaining a license needs to be reviewed

Interesting how the Dutch look at this. In a cycle touring book I read that in Holland the larger vehicle in an accident has to prove innocence. Not know what it it meant I found the following.

See Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_in_the_Netherlands

"form of strict liability has been law in the Netherlands since the early 1990s for bicycle-motor vehicle accidents.[13] In a nutshell this means that, in a collision between a car and a cyclist, the driver's insurer is deemed to be liable to pay damages (n.b. motor vehicle insurance is mandatory in the Netherlands, while cyclist insurance is not) to the cyclist's property and their medical bills as long as 1) the cyclist did not intentionally crash into the motor vehicle, and 2) the cyclist was not in error in some way.[13] If the cyclist was in error, as long as the collision was still unintentional, the motorist's insurance must still pay half of the damages — though this doesn't apply if the cyclist is under 14 years of age, in which case the motorist must pay full damages.[13] If it can be proved that a cyclist intended to collide with the car, then the cyclist must pay the damages (or his/her parents in the case of a minor.)[13]"

We can learn from others like the Dutch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've been trying to figure out what would work for ages, and I still haven't come up with any half decent ideas.

All these campaigns don't work when you have people either with utter disregard for the basics of the road or are just completely unaware of their surroundings.. The other problem we have with making new laws is that they just aren't policed, so are basically pointless. With regards to policing, there definitely seems to be a shift away from visible to electronic here in the Cape, which in my book is a major part of the problem.. To give an example, December 2015 when we went back to KZN for a holiday we had the joy of driving on the N1 which now has average speed cameras. We did not see one traffic cop en route, we did however see motorists over taking on blind rises or corners, people stopping half way on the road/dirt to let little Johnny get out and take a pee, heaps of taxi trailer wheels bouncing down the road (and in one case smacking a car).. In the Free State it was a different story, with cops at every bridge the closer we got to Bloem - so the change in drivers attitude was very noticeable!

Here are just a few examples of what I film when commuting...

1. Lady in a Disco - I am lit-up like a flashing Xmas tree up front, and yet she still doesn't see me, or thinks she'll make it. Lucky one of the few working brain cells she has got her foot on the brake peddle in time..

2. Just pull out... I saw this guy leaving the petrol station and thought I'd better hang back. He didn't look right once, so he would have T-boned whoever was in the left hand lane at the time...

3. Heading down to Hout Bay. To give this guy credit, he did pass wider of the rider, but over a double white line and forced the up coming vehicle into the dirt on the left hand side of the road..

In short, the disregard isn't just for cyclist, but for everyone on the road!! 

Tom

i drive over 2500kms and ride 1000kms per month in and around greater CTown. i honestly think that the majority of motorists hog the RHL, drive texting , drive drunk, dont take note of their surrounding or don't know the route to their destination. indicating is a 'las' , red traffic lights mean accelarate, have no road manners. i can go on and on.  put some of these idiots on a bicycle and then use your imagination. 

then we get the commercial van/truck driver - i drive the N1 to Worcester / Paarl and back at least once a week. you think taxi drivers are a problem....no these drivers are a problem. i think their transport manager's instructions are 'take a chill pill and hog the middle lane , don't drive faster than 80 kph.

I've also wondered about this.

I also firmly believe all those GoPros people have gathering dust in the cupboard should be used every time you climb on your bike - not only to kick people, but also to give credit where it is due.

Today I had the joy of filming three roadies ahead of me riding abreast, with one of them riding in the oncoming traffic lane, while all the cars did the 1.5m thing, even the taxis..

Might have to start a thread on here to post all the daft things I come across!

Tom 

I like the idea of having a camera. will this footage be enough to prosecute? 

I've also wondered about this.

I also firmly believe all those GoPros people have gathering dust in the cupboard should be used every time you climb on your bike - not only to kick people, but also to give credit where it is due.

Today I had the joy of filming three roadies ahead of me riding abreast, with one of them riding in the oncoming traffic lane, while all the cars did the 1.5m thing, even the taxis..

Might have to start a thread on here to post all the daft things I come across!

Tom

Yes, do it!

Archived