Specialized Camber 29 vs Camber Comp 29

Wheelie87

So what's the verdict:

https://www.speciali...amber-29/115406

or

https://www.speciali...-comp-29/115520

Is the difference really worth the odd R10k (for someone like me)?

I am new to the game

Bought a Specialized Hardrock just to start out with four months ago to see what all the hype is about.

Immediately fell in love with the trails and more tech than XC

Even after getting stitches in my elbow second time out at G-spot (Stellenbosch) I knew that I knew this is my new passion

Haha 

Obviously now I know I need something more than the Hardrock (awesome entry level bike btw after upgrading handlebars/tyres/etc I will definitely be keeping it)

So I'm ready for my new longer term bike, but still on a tight budget, thus the begging question:  

Specialized Camber 29 vs Camber Comp 29 !?!

OR

Maybe even not Specialized 

Thanks guys!

Wheeeelie ! :) 

So what's the verdict:

https://www.speciali...amber-29/115406

or

https://www.speciali...-comp-29/115520

Is the difference really worth the odd R10k (for someone like me)?

I am new to the game

Bought a Specialized Hardrock just to start out with four months ago to see what all the hype is about.

Immediately fell in love with the trails and more tech than XC

Even after getting stitches in my elbow second time out at G-spot (Stellenbosch) I knew that I knew this is my new passion

Haha 

Obviously now I know I need something more than the Hardrock (awesome entry level bike btw after upgrading handlebars/tyres/etc I will definitely be keeping it)

So I'm ready for my new longer term bike, but still on a tight budget, thus the begging question:  

Specialized Camber 29 vs Camber Comp 29 !?!

OR

Maybe even not Specialized 

Thanks guys!

Wheeeelie ! :)

If you've got the budget for the Comp version, I would highly recommend it over the base version. It's a significantly better components package all round.

That being said, Spez's don't always offer the best of value.

If I were you and had the cash to drop on the Camber Comp, I would rather look into a neat 2nd hand Stumpjumer FSR or something similar. 130 - 150mm of travel in either 650B or 29er and you've got a bike for virtually any riding you'd like to do.

If you've got the budget for the Comp version, I would highly recommend it over the base version. It's a significantly better components package all round.

That being said, Spez's don't always offer the best of value.

If I were you and had the cash to drop on the Camber Comp, I would rather look into a neat 2nd hand Stumpjumer FSR or something similar. 130 - 150mm of travel in either 650B or 29er and you've got a bike for virtually any riding you'd like to do.

Awesome man, thanks for the reply

The extra R10k is not really in the budget unless I come to the conclusion that not spending the extra R10k will be a big mistake and then just try to hold out longer and then get the Comp.

But as you can well imagine each extra day holding out feels like eternity 

Haha

Not that keen on going 2nd hand to be honest

Will rather get something lower specced and new than 2nd hand if possible

Looking at an XL or perhaps even XXL as I am 1.95 and they are a bit more scarce 2nd hand from what I've seen

Always look at the suspension a bike is spec'd with, then brake set - it's what you'll use the most and what will matter the most.

Everyone get caught up by the drive train specs, when it matters a lot less than the above mentioned. Companies even exploit this ignorance of the customers that they will spec a better rear derailleur accompanied by lower spec shifters and brakes, e.g. XT rear derailleur with Deore shifters and brakes is seen a lot. 

Look at a Giant trance 2 - usually great value for money. 

If you're on a budget, 2nd hand will usually offer better value and a lot of people buy bikes and flog it off with seeing not a lot of riding at all.

I was in your predicament a year ago and ended up buying a good second hand Pyga 110.

An amazing bike, the cambers geometry has gravitated towards it over the years.  I managed to get an XX/X9 bike with fantastic wheels and dropper post for R27k.

The bike is perfect for much of the single track in the Stellies region

Awesome man, thanks for the reply

The extra R10k is not really in the budget unless I come to the conclusion that not spending the extra R10k will be a big mistake and then just try to hold out longer and then get the Comp.

But as you can well imagine each extra day holding out feels like eternity 

Haha

Not that keen on going 2nd hand to be honest

Will rather get something lower specced and new than 2nd hand if possible

Looking at an XL or perhaps even XXL as I am 1.95 and they are a bit more scarce 2nd hand from what I've seen

Personally, I think the extra R10k is justfied. The suspension, brakes and drivetrain on the Comp are all significantly better than the base version.

See what other options you have. If you can get even the base YT Jeffsy, it would slaughter the Camber out on the trails (except maybe on the climbs).

Awesome feedback guys !

Much appreciated 

Never even heard of YT Jeffsey before today - will definitely be checking it all out 

Quite a few things to consider 

:whistling:

Awesome feedback guys !

Much appreciated 

Never even heard of YT Jeffsey before today - will definitely be checking it all out 

Quite a few things to consider 

:whistling:

And they just released a 27 Jeffsy with even longer reach numbers in XL - do it!

GIANT STANCE 2

http://www.giantdurbanville.co.za/en-za/bikes/model/stance.2/28150/98138/#specifications

So this looks pretty awesome but I am very hesitant as it has 27,5" wheels and from what I've heard and having only really ridden 29" its 29 or nothing.....

Hmmmm

Not if you're planning on jump lines like G-spot you mentioned. That fork and your weight (assuming it won't be less than 70 kg if you're 1.95m tall) will not be the best match.

The Trance 2 is the bike you'd want, but looking at local webpage, it seems it's only the Trance 1.5 or 3 that's available.

GIANT STANCE 2

http://www.giantdurbanville.co.za/en-za/bikes/model/stance.2/28150/98138/#specifications

So this looks pretty awesome but I am very hesitant as it has 27,5" wheels and from what I've heard and having only really ridden 29" its 29 or nothing.....

Hmmmm

No. Not the Stance. 

Camber / Stumpy / New Anthem / Trance / Silverback Slider / Trek Fuel / Scott Spark (new one with the vertical shock placement) / Pyga 110 120 140 

Archived