[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge

Dryland Event Management

Event Name: The 36ONE MTB Challenge
When: 21 April 2017 - 23 April 2017
Where: Kleinplaas Resort, Oudtshoorn, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Dubbed the ultimate race The 36ONE MTB challenges riders to a 361km loop of the Klein Karoo. Race it solo, in a relay team or build up to the main event next year by undertaking the half, 180 Challenge, in 2017. Experiencing a Klein Karoo sunset, moonrise and sunrise during one ride needs to be lived to be understood.

www.the36one.co.za

Go to Event Page

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

endurance is key - do some ling rides like 150's and 200's and do at least one or two weekends where you do a 150 and another 150 or longer so you get an idea of what to expect

the last 160km is all mindgames, but endurance is key. You may feel great at 180km and hit the wall at 200km - also pace and just keep going

its an awesome race - so well organized

I did do a few Dryland events and know how well organized they are. It is me that I am worried about :blink:  Any tips on what and when to eat and drink. How fast do you start and do you change you MTB to a more relax setup say from that of the Attakwas? ( I'am a rookie with more guts and balls than brains!- or just plain stupid :eek: )

How are you guys training for this one or must I rather say how do you want to train? How many km and hours are you doing a week?

Ride this race waterpoint to waterpoint. With that mindset, and the fact that you can't see anything, you end up riding in the now. Listen to your body. Ride what's in front of you at a pace you can handle.

It's just 12 waterpoints and you're done.

Training - normal intensity stuff during the week, and a couple of long rides on the weekend. You shouldn't have to do anything over 6 hours. Learn to listen to your body. Learn what you like to eat and drink. If you can do 6 hours and still be human afterwards, you'll be fine at 36One.

Managed 19 hours in 2016.

This is all i did in the lead up. I was in no position to ride this distance nor race it since i just literally came back from a knee op, paid heavily for this mistake as it turns out its no fun pedaling with one leg only for nearly 150kms.

Told myself i'm using this as a training ride but as son as the gun went I found myself among the sharp end of the field.

post-3951-0-38676700-1487342465_thumb.png

post-3951-0-02526800-1487342452_thumb.png

post-3951-0-86409500-1487342434_thumb.png

Edited by milky4130

I did do a few Dryland events and know how well organized they are. It is me that I am worried about :blink:  Any tips on what and when to eat and drink. How fast do you start and do you change you MTB to a more relax setup say from that of the Attakwas? ( I'am a rookie with more guts and balls than brains!- or just plain stupid :eek: )

No need to change anything on the bike setup from Attakwas. Eat & drink when you can, if you have a garmin or polar setup an calorie alert to go off every time you've burned say 100 or 200 calories so you can be reminded to eat & drink. Pull in to the water points & eat the solid warm food on offer. Drink the warm milo's or soup at the different waterpoints (this really made the difference between me continuing & pulling out of the race 80 & 100 km respectively.) If you just aiming to finish then dont start fast i.e. with the front guys you will immediately know who these okes are. The start might be cooking hot & light but make sure you have the layers on you for later as the temperature drops very quickly after sunset.

One tip,,don't believe the route profile,,the last leg from Calitzdorp has some serious hills,,don't loose your sense of humour.

also stay away from gels and too much energy drinks ,drink lots of water,you must have clear glasses for the night,it's really dusty.

Eat real food at the stops and it gets very cold after 12

One tip,,don't believe the route profile,,the last leg from Calitzdorp has some serious hills,,don't loose your sense of humour.

It's not just the hills. For most it's done during the middle of day when it is Hot.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed 19 hours in 2016.

This is all i did in the lead up...

Looking at that, I still have hope! I can still rescue something in the next month and a half!

The best part of my 36one last year was riding for about 3 hours all alone in the dark. From Halfway it was just me,myself and my dim headlight. Man its scary going through that farm from halfway all alone, hearing noises and you don't see anything, and freezing my ass off  :ph34r: . My Nuts was so sore going down Rooiberg.

I did a couple of 200km's and lots of 150+km. But 3 weeks before the 36one I got that swine flu. Jeez, was the worst feeling in the world. Finished in 21h. Was aiming for 18-19h.

Will def do it again.

The best part of my 36one last year was riding for about 3 hours all alone in the dark. From Halfway it was just me,myself and my dim headlight. Man its scary going through that farm from halfway all alone, hearing noises and you don't see anything, and freezing my ass off :ph34r: . My Nuts was so sore going down Rooiberg.

I did a couple of 200km's and lots of 150+km. But 3 weeks before the 36one I got that swine flu. Jeez, was the worst feeling in the world. Finished in 21h. Was aiming for 18-19h.

Will def do it again.

Hahaha....good laugh!

Why were your nuts sore?

Has anybody done this with flat pedals? 

I am considering it, but not sure given the distance as my longest ride with flats is only 100 k's and had different aches than "normal" after that.

Will make sure that I stand during Rooiberg descent :whistling:, although my hands took a while to recover after last years ride.

Has anybody done this with flat pedals?

I am considering it, but not sure given the distance as my longest ride with flats is only 100 k's and had different aches than "normal" after that.

Will make sure that I stand during Rooiberg descent :whistling:, although my hands took a while to recover after last years ride.

Why flat pedals?