So when is a sale a sale ??

porqui

So I phone a hub seller about some items this morning - tell him I'm interested and would he go to Post Office to find postal cost. Then send me banking details. So this afternoon I get sms "Hi there, unfortunately a colleague at work has taken the ........"

Feeling pee-ed off !!!

1-2-3-......-9-10.

Rant over!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Over on avforums.co.za there is a norm that a buyer calls dibs on the thread and via pm. Seller is then honour bound to announce that the item is on hold pending payment. This period of being on hold is usually mutually agreed.

Also, you can only advertise once you have 50 forum posts. Its a good system, not perfect.

In your scenario you might have been expected to organise a courier to collect or to obtain quotes.

In your scenario you might have been expected to organise a courier to collect or to obtain quotes.

This ^^

Surely the onus is not the seller unless the buyer offers the service .

Send me bank details means I want to pay

(Need to know total)

Agree,and I wouldn't of just sold it.

But I do think the buyer needs to arrange the courier . You should try Xoconline...so easy to get a price online from anywhere to your destination. So you will have a good idea of cost and they are usually cheaper than most . And very realible . Just an option for future.

Personally I think the seller was a bit of a poephol. I have always organised shipping when selling (you literally click a few times and it's done), of course the costs were for buyer. But if someone says they will take it I always let them know if someone else is interested in the between "I will take it" and "Payment" period.

Some sellers dont want to go to the hassle of arranging couriers/postage etc. If I really want the item then I pay them right away and arrange the courier to collect myself.

There are a few couriers that you can use without an account and can sort out the collection from their website.

On all the sales that I have done, both on the hub and elsewhere, I have always arranged postage. Never told the buyer that's it's his problem to arrange.

The seller just took the easy option out...

I have as well,but surely it's the buyers responsibility to arrange the courier. And the sellers to package .

Of course he took the easy way out,he didn't want the bother to get prices.

So the seller is a box.

You had right of first refusal by indicating that you wanted to take the item, and were willing to pay for it.

Use the rating system to give him a negative rating so you can warn others of this individual's poor etiquette

I have as well,but surely it's the buyers responsibility to arrange the courier. And the sellers to package .

Of course he took the easy way out,he didn't want the bother to get prices.

Yeah, I agree it is, and I would have no issue if a seller asked me to arrange courier when I buy something... Just seems like this seller took the easy way as you mentioned.

Telling someone that you are "interested" is not sufficient to secure a sale.

Personally I would have done the same as he did.

Last year I was selling an item

Guy wanted to come "view" it, but wanted me to hold it ... BUT, could only confirm the purchase after viewing it, then started changing the time he can come view it ....  A friend phoned, confirmed his son wants is - even offered more money.  I sold it to the friend - for the original amount.  Called the "viewer" and told him the item was sold .... after umpteen messages through the day messing me about he then was more than miffed that I had sold it ....

He who PAYS first gets it.