Questions for Race Organizers - Race Numbers

Patchelicious

Race Organiser Questions  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy collecting race numbers.

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you prefer an option where you did not have to collect your race numbers? Eg: Permanent numbers or self print.

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you enter more races if you did not need to collect race numbers?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question. what is the UCI (or at least a CSA) rules regarding registering for a sanctioned race?

As I understand there needs to be at least some form of physical registration and checking of licenses & seeding (even if it is someone doing it on your behalf).

Wouldn't this negate the benefit of printing out the number yourself?

From the ROAD version of the CSA rule book:

3.8 PARTICIPANTS AT ROAD CYCLING EVENTS
3.8.1 All participants have to be holders of a CYCLINGSA Cycling Membership / License or an International License recognized by the UCI. These licenses may consist of one of the following:
3.8.1.1 Full Racing License
3.8.1.2 Membership
3.8.1.3 Day License – for Riders not holding one of the above. A day license is only valid to start in the seeded race groups and not with the age category Riders.
3.8.2 The organization has to ensure that license checks will be done through online registrations or at the registration of the event.

This falls under the A-category event (where prize money is above R50k)
3.20.3.1.5 All aspects of this group be administered by the Provincial Road Commissioner and the Chief Commissaire appointed for the race. They will be responsible to:
3.20.3.1.5.1 Check that team entries are legit and according to the rules & regulations.
3.20.3.1.5.2 Individuals are added to the group
3.20.3.1.5.3 Draw of team vehicle order
3.20.3.1.5.4 Distribution of back and frame numbers
3.20.3.1.5.5 Distribution of Starting lists prior to the start of the end on the day of the event.
3.20.3.1.5.6 The organizer has to supply all infrastructure and equipment to fulfill these requirements.

3.20.11 One frame and two body numbers, conforming to the Cycling SA standard, shall be provided for each Full Racing Age Category. All non Elite categories to have a minimum of one back number.

3.20.12 The use of electronic timing devices for all competitors / categories shall be compulsory. The service provider shall timeously produce provisional results and update these once the official results have been made available by the Chief Commissaire / Race Director.
Seems the CSA officials don't adhere to their own rules

3.22.8 All entrants to have a minimum of one back number
This is the minimum standard in all events.

Just a question. what is the UCI (or at least a CSA) rules regarding registering for a sanctioned race?

As I understand there needs to be at least some form of physical registration and checking of licenses & seeding (even if it is someone doing it on your behalf).

Wouldn't this negate the benefit of printing out the number yourself?

Check license at the starting block? Just a thought ...

You might want to add Permanent number to the list, instead of (ir in addition to) printing.

Had a few extra questions I felt that could add value, but poll only allows for 3 questions.

Why do you need a race number if you are riding with a chip?

The number is linked to your personal details (medical, next of kin, etc.), and is supposed to be attached to your "body".

Imagine a crash involving more than one person, and one person needs urgent medical assistance. A timing chip attached to a bike doesn't identify the person - where two or more bikes/cyclists are involved in a crash.

The number is linked to your personal details (medical, next of kin, etc.), and is supposed to be attached to your "body".

Imagine a crash involving more than one person, and one person needs urgent medical assistance. A timing chip attached to a bike doesn't identify the person - where two or more bikes/cyclists are involved in a crash.

MTB is, arguably, more dangerous and that issue is not considered an issue, is it?

What about a race board(obviously smaller than MTB one) that you can put on your seat post?

Answered in above post, but certainly not out of the equation.

MTB events don't use body numbers, but only "frame" numbers. Road is slightly different in that there are larger groups, which could involve more than one person in a crash. 

Essentially the organisers of road events have to cater for worse-case (bunch crash) and not individual. If there were only ever individual crashes, then a frame number could be the way to go.

What about a race board(obviously smaller than MTB one) that you can put on your seat post?

Like the PPA events use. I got one from Maluti and Argus. Not too big and even if its on the front of the handle bars its not really in the way. Sure it doesn't look good(like a saddle bag) but sometimes its a necessary evil(unlike a saddle bag, which is always evil).

MTB is, arguably, more dangerous and that issue is not considered an issue, is it?

I don't know, I hardly do any MTB events.

Most of whining about number collection seems to be around road events.

Like the PPA events use. I got one from Maluti and Argus. Not too big and even if its on the front of the handle bars its not really in the way. Sure it doesn't look good(like a saddle bag) but sometimes its a necessary evil(unlike a saddle bag, which is always evil).

But there was still a body number issued for both events.