• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome new route.  Very cool.

Looking forward to this one

Like it too, if I can get into shape!!!

I liked the double climb of Wonderboom &TJ.  Wonderboom to soften things up a bit, and then for the big showdown.

I hope I will be there again too, but in the same circumstance as last year, which was assisting my eldest son which did the camerawork for the photo-finish for the race commisaire at the finish line. It was quite interesting to be there at the finish line with a bit of a different view of a cycle race.

Should be less agro from the locals this year - last year they cut them off between town and Atteridgeville / Western suburbs and the mess at the Poort / Nek also p!&&ed them off. 

Don't listen much to Jacaranda, but heard them advertising road closure already, so hopefully the message gets through.

• 2 weeks later...

I see they have changed the rout this year  no more Wonderboom nek going down Boom street to get to Tom Jenkens

I see they have changed the rout this year  no more Wonderboom nek going down Boom street to get to Tom Jenkens

Yep, think this is a clever move if thinking about the long term feasibility of the race to disrupt less of the city's residents while still maintaining at least one proper climb along with the finishing climb

Yep, think this is a clever move if thinking about the long term feasibility of the race to disrupt less of the city's residents while still maintaining at least one proper climb along with the finishing climb

Yeah, and taking out the out-and back on the N4 was a good move as well, that u-turn was nasty.

Looking forward to this one, hopefully with Wonderboom out I can take a proper crack at Tom Jenkins, instead of cramping my way up :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

The latest newsletter from Cycle Events shows they have 4000 entries received.

Actual number as of the this morning is 1116 paid entries, and just over 1200 entered. Don't ask how I know, I have my trusted source. 

post-1372-0-35692600-1537685210_thumb.png

But.

There is a HUGE safety concern.

The section marked in brown goes through the city.

It is fairly dodgy with not even the police that enters there unless the body is starting to decompose.

One of the guys that rode with us was pushed off his bike on this same spot and they tried to steal his phone.  Fortunately he is fit and able and pushed back and fought the guy off without and loss or damage.  

For the groups going through there it won't be a problem.

But I can't see how the back markers in their ones and twos are going to go through there without an incident.

Everyone that did the ride agrees, the route should rather head North (green route) and follow Flower Street.  This will be much safer.

post-25-0-96787300-1537882495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spinnekop

Fully agree with you Spinnekop. Thats really not the part of Pretoria you want to showcase. Havent seen so many dead rats on one section of tar in my whole life. Move north of the koppie back with Flowers street anb back into Soutpansberg.

• 5 weeks later...

But.

There is a HUGE safety concern.

The section marked in brown goes through the city.

It is fairly dodgy with not even the police that enters there unless the body is starting to decompose.

One of the guys that rode with us was pushed off his bike on this same spot and they tried to steal his phone.  Fortunately he is fit and able and pushed back and fought the guy off without and loss or damage.  

For the groups going through there it won't be a problem.

But I can't see how the back markers in their ones and twos are going to go through there without an incident.

Everyone that did the ride agrees, the route should rather head North (green route) and follow Flower Street.  This will be much safer.

That sounds like extra motivation to not get dropped  :D

Pity they do not allow 11 and 12 year olds to enter under 15. so now they have to settle for the  20km  and ride in the open class. 

These little racers would rather get their ass handed to them by the U15's than to race against the dude with the spez and deep section wheels that enters the 20km.

Edited by Rolling Stone