Ride the Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge for Ruth First Memorial Trust (Jeppe High School for Girls)

Red Bird

Ruth First, the anti-apartheid heroine, was a Jeppe Old Girl. To honour her memory the school launched a scholarship programme for girls who meet the criteria to attend Jeppe High School for Girls. To ensure that the girls get all the support that they require, a Mentorship Programme has been introduced so that each scholar has a confidant and friend who will assist with developing skills and knowledge, provide guidance through her school careers and highlight personal attributes. Some of these scholars have achieved outstanding Matric results in 2016 – the top students obtained 8 and 10 distinctions respectively. Other girls currently enrolled in the programme have been sworn in as school councillors and were awarded academic colours.

The programme was launched in 2010 and there are currently 51 girls in the school on full tuition scholarships. The target is to increase the number of recipients to 100 girls within the next few years. Our challenge is for each cyclist riding under the Ruth First Jeppe Scholarship banner to pledge a minimum of R1 000 - with the target being to raise enough to sponsor one girl for a year (R30 000). If, however, we find a sponsor willing to donate the full amount, we can play an important role to help the trust reach its overall target, as mentioned above.

We need at least 20 cyclists to register the charity. PM your email address for more info.

Thanks.

Engela

Edit:typo

Edited by Engel-a

• 3 months later...

Anybody who would love to join our charity group, please let me know. Would really love to register the charity this year.