Which MTB and Equipment to buy

FirstV8

I was a road cyclist for many years and rode a Colnago with Dura Ace group set . I  am now wanting to start MT biking on a purely social level . I am currently 110 kg and only spin for minutes a day . My question is what do i buy , hard or soft tail , what make and which equipment . I want to buy second hand and have a budget of +_ R15K 

I was a road cyclist for many years and rode a Colnago with Dura Ace group set . I  am now wanting to start MT biking on a purely social level . I am currently 110 kg and only spin for minutes a day . My question is what do i buy , hard or soft tail , what make and which equipment . I want to buy second hand and have a budget of +_ R15K 

oh man a Colnago with Dura Ace?? the hub fashion police are going to eat you alive!!

At 15k you will get a pretty decent hardtail, I picked up a 2nd hand anthem for that a few years ago but it required a lot of constant trolling of the classifieds to pick it up.

I think a used Giant Anthem or similar 29er is a good call. Should have an SLX or even an XT groupset.

I think a used Giant Anthem or similar 29er is a good call. Should have an SLX or even an XT groupset.

Beware the used Anthem, they are the most abused bikes in SA. If you don't know much about bike maintenance, take a friend who does when you go to collect.

In general though, FS are a lot more pricey to maintain than hardtails, so if that's a consideration then rather go HT. Also, budget about R 2k for a HT and R 4k for a FS to get it in decent shape before you even get on it. You may not spend it all, but it's good to have in reserve.

Beware the used Anthem, they are the most abused bikes in SA. If you don't know much about bike maintenance, take a friend who does when you go to collect.

In general though, FS are a lot more pricey to maintain than hardtails, so if that's a consideration then rather go HT. Also, budget about R 2k for a HT and R 4k for a FS to get it in decent shape before you even get on it. You may not spend it all, but it's good to have in reserve.

That is true, but for any used bike I suppose. And definitely agree on the reserve cash.

I looked at quite a few bikes before I found one in good nick, for a good price. Definitely need to be patient - I looked for about 2 months.

Try find one that was properly maintained (with receipts), or ask the owner if you can take it for a check-up at your LBS before you buy.

That is true, but for any used bike I suppose. And definitely agree on the reserve cash.

I looked at quite a few bikes before I found one in good nick, for a good price. Definitely need to be patient - I looked for about 2 months.

Try find one that was properly maintained (with receipts), or ask the owner if you can take it for a check-up at your LBS before you buy.

Thanks or info so far , Maintenance is not a problem as i am hands on when it comes to bikes . Getting to know the makes of bikes and equipment is were i am at now . Im not in a hurry so will look carefully at all possibility available .. Keep sending info  i like learning 

Decent flaf shoes, Decent cycling shorts, chamois cream, mtb helmet, sunglasses, gloves, sweat cap, cleaning equipment, water bottle.

• 2 months later...

I eventually settled on a Ghost AMR Lector 2978 medium from with Fox Evolution front and Fox Boostvalve rear shock . Group set is Shimano XT with a Richley front extension and wide Ryder bars . Rims are Volar tubeless with Fast Track tyres and XT Deore hubs . I put my Look road pedals on as im still training on the road in my area but it does have ShimanoXT pedals . I cannot believe how smooth a ride this is compared to a retro style (Colnago ) i rode . Luckily i still have all my riding gear although some are way to small so i just make do with what fits . Im up to 25 km per day at a average of 22 kph . I have a small Cyclo Computer that i fitted and it gives me enough info to be able to gauge my fitness .  

I eventually settled on a Ghost AMR Lector 2978 medium from with Fox Evolution front and Fox Boostvalve rear shock . Group set is Shimano XT with a Richley front extension and wide Ryder bars . Rims are Volar tubeless with Fast Track tyres and XT Deore hubs . I put my Look road pedals on as im still training on the road in my area but it does have ShimanoXT pedals . I cannot believe how smooth a ride this is compared to a retro style (Colnago ) i rode . Luckily i still have all my riding gear although some are way to small so i just make do with what fits . Im up to 25 km per day at a average of 22 kph . I have a small Cyclo Computer that i fitted and it gives me enough info to be able to gauge my fitness .  

That's a lekker bike....good choice. Wishing you many happy miles. 

Archived