Lucky to be alive (NFSV)

APJ88

Hi guys ,

Thought I'd share my story as it will create more awareness.

Yesterday afternoon as I was riding home after the Burgundy Crit in cape town I crossed an Intersection at +-50 km/h and a lady next to me decided she wanted to stop right after a massive intersection on Old Oak road to buy something from a street vendor. Subsequently as she looked to her right and turned off to the left she did not see me and I rode straight into the back of her. she literally came to a stop within 10 meters of a green light and I had no time to brake. Luckily I used my arm to hit the back of her car first and my helmet saved my life.

Another incident on our roads, I was in the yellow line and the only way I could've avoided riding into her was if I was riding at 10km/h .she acknowledged after the incident that she did not see me at all ( even though she passed me from behind and stopped) I presume she looked to her right as she swerved to her left to not stop too far from the running vendor.

Time to buy a MTB.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speedy recovery Bud. You got lucky. Go and buy a Lotto ticket this week.

WOW, considering how your arm looks, very lucky! Heal up and keep safe out there!

Aina, that could have ended up way worse, glad you're up and walking.

Sadly you have to think on behalf of other road users while riding in traffic.

Jeez, heal up soon. You are obviously not done in this life yet!

Apart from non observant motorists I experience the vendors at intersection as another major road hazard.

Jeez, that is hectic, looks like you were lucky not to have deeper cuts! Good that you're not worse off and hope that you heal fast. 

PS how's the bike? Did you turn off your strava? 

Thank your lucky starts you're not worse off, even though you've got some nasty gashes there my man!

Heal up soon, and I hope your confidence will return quickly so that you can be back on the bike soon.

As painful as this looks, I think you are one very lucky man! That could have ended alot worse than it did - especially at 50km/hr!

Good luck, and get well soon!

Sh!t.  Glad your alive to tell the story.  If you don't mind keep us up to date with the police reports and insurance claims.  That might hurt more than the actual injuries.

Heel up well.

Lucky escape indeed - glad you are ok.

Last person I know who did that was Keegan Girdlestone - and he is one of the luckiest guys alive after cutting his carotid artery...

Archived