The large or medium debate

Runbikeswim

Iv been riding around 5 years and always taken a large. I am 186cm, 77kg.

Bikes iv had are: Scott spark, Giant anthem, Giant Trance... all large

At the moment im in between bikes awaiting 2018 stock and my boet borrowed me his Giant XTX.

Now this bike is fully speced carbon with mavic etc... so much nicer than i have ever had, but a medium.

But 2 rides in iv yet to feel any difference? Actual feels like it fits? Only issue sofar is that stem is slightly longer than what i am used to.

Definitely a Large at you height. I am 1.78 and have had neck and back issues from riding Medium frames which are too small for me. You notice the frame is too small on long rides.

If you do end up on an M it will restrict you massively with stem length - which can only be bad for handling. Take into account most new bikes are designed around shorter stems.

There is no debate

Go have a fit up done

^^ THIS ^^

Your overall length is only one parameter.  It is also about the relation between inner leg length and upper body length.  Have a proper setup done.

Some mediums are tall enough to not need a super long seatpost and long enough to not need a very long stem but that does not make it fit.

I am 1.78 and I am now on mediums as the large bikes felt way to long but I still think I need to perhaps go back to large.

So you are definitely going to need a large to be comfortable over longer rides.

Some mediums are tall enough to not need a super long seatpost and long enough to not need a very long stem but that does not make it fit.

I am 1.78 and I am now on mediums as the large bikes felt way to long but I still think I need to perhaps go back to large.

So you are definitely going to need a large to be comfortable over longer rides.

I'm 1.77 and on a 18.5 Medium. Theoretically that is the perfect fit, also taken into account in-seam. 

Remember that fit is a combination of height and in-seam. This is the theory:

post-7796-0-08617200-1500877756_thumb.jpg

Rule of thumb would be a L at your height BUT to give an example, I am 182 and have long legs compared to my upper body so on my road bike a L is just not comfortable. The Giant M/L really suits me well as it is slightly shorter and I don't need a shorter stem to get the setup right. I use a L raleigh on my IDT and I actually need a much shorter stem to be comfortable. I had a setup done so all my bikes are setup the same. Different bike brands have different geometries so best get a setup done and then see what fits your body.

I read an article a few years ago which pointed out that for a given population just over 90% of the sample would have similar inseam measurements for the same height.  So around 10% of us are in the dwang!  My height indicates a large (56cm) road, my inseam a 58cm and I ride a 54cm.

As mentioned above not all frames are equal so if in doubt get a (decent) fit done!

At 1.86 you're probably borderline L / XL, depending on your ideal reach measurement.

Get fitted.

I'm 1.86 and I ride a XL (Giant Trance)

First time in my life that I feel like I'm riding a bike that fits.

I'm 1.86 and I ride a XL (Giant Trance)

First time in my life that I feel like I'm riding a bike that fits.

I never felt comfortable on a road bike.

Then I got a proper bike fit assessment, after which I took the "stack" and "reach" measurements and went looking for a bike. Found one, went back to bike fitter and I have zero issues and I can ride for hours without a problem.

I know the bike-fit subject is very hyped currently, but I think it can not be overhyped IMHO, it is THAT important.

It costs a bit, but worth every cent in my case.

There is no debate

Go have a fit up done

I agree. I have a M but im only 1.63 which should be S. Bit im built funny

There is no debate

Go have a fit up done

I agree. I have a M but im only 1.63 which should be S. Bit im built funny

Archived