Raleigh Cyclone 29er

BernardNie

Hi guys,

Does anyone have info or owned, or ridden the Raleigh Cyclone 29er.

I am looking at it as a beginner bike as I don't have a big budget so can get a second hand one for a good price.

It was reviewed as one of the budget bikes to get.

Any thoughts and assistance will be appreciated

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh please do yourself a favour, and don't buy it.

I that fork is terraaaaable, and mechanical discs just, suck.

In that price range, look for a 26er in the classifieds with hydro discs and a better fork.

Oh please do yourself a favour, and don't buy it.

I that fork is terraaaaable, and mechanical discs just, suck.

In that price range, look for a 26er in the classifieds with hydro discs and a better fork.

If you ask me, rather go second hand for a bike as Kalahari indicated.  What I tried to indicate between the lines, the cheaper bikes don't really stand up to the pounding the it might get on a trails, and one thing I have seen is that there is a slight buckle in the wheels can develop.  And the cost of fixing the stuff might work out more expensive in the long run.  Because even if you want to service it yourself you need to buy a lot of the tools first.

Generally the real cheap entry bikes are (in my opinion) more meant for gravel and off road riding but not so much intermediate mtb trails.  So it mostly depends what you going to do with it, as each persons priorities are different.

+1 on the used bike.

you will not be doing yourself any favours with a Makro/Walmart/PnP/Game etc. bike.

a decent 26er is far better than that and you can get a fair 29er for not bad prices.

Read his original post:

"I don't have a big budget so can get a second hand one for a good price."

If does what you want and it's not too expensive then get it.

If you find you've been bitten then you'll find the cash to get something better.

Or, if you find bikes are not for you there's not much lost and you'll always sell it on, not necessarily here but someone will want it.

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.

I am a beginner and at this stage im not sure if i would like lit or not.

Also have read and got advise from my local bike shop that the 26er is no go as its going out and the 29er's are making a mark.

Also im 1.81 and was advised that i need a L to and XL frame so i think i might pedal myself in to oblivion with 26 inch wheels 

Also have read and got advise from my local bike shop that the 26er is no go as its going out and the 29er's are making a mark.

Also im 1.81 and was advised that i need a L to and XL frame so i think i might pedal myself in to oblivion with 26 inch wheels 

Not entirely true. 26er has been going out for almost 5+ years now. yet everyone still has spares and tyres etc. The wheels size does not make a difference on the pedalling as your gears determine your ratio.

However a 29er is a bit more future proof - so look for a decent entry level 29er.

Not something you will hate and thus give up quicker than you started.

Just another note... If you buy a decent 29er for lets say R8000 on the classifieds and you don't like it - generally you can re-sell it for R8000.

and get a helmet and decent cycling shorts or baggies - it will make the worlds difference to your experience.

Sjo.

1.) 26" will still "be here" for the next 10-20 years-at least.

2.) Why would you pedal yourself to oblivion? Frame size is very important, but a L/XL is still a L/XL on 26"/27.5"/29"

Are you sure you not buying this bike from a hardware store?

If they tell you that you need an XL frame they may be lining you up to sell you a ladder too.

PS. Gears determine your speed, not wheel size, only to a lesser degree but this thread isnt for nit picking.

Im new to the whole sizing thing and this is what was advised by the local shop. 

They said due to the length of my legs a L/XL will be ideal, but if you guys are stating that M 26er would work that could be a better option as they seem to be a bit cheaper 

I was advised that i will be pedaling more due to the rotation of the wheel as its smaller they also advised that 29er handles a lot better over obstacles etc. 

This might be a dumb questions, however Will I be able to upgrade to 29inch wheels later on if i feel I need to so for now I could get a 26er to start off with 

So much bad information fed to you!! Listen to what the guys here have to say, loads of accurate info with no one planning to sell you anything.

At 1.81m you'll be a L (possibly a medium on the bigger frames), I'm 1.86m and ride a large comfortably. 

As for the 26" just a few points:

1) The hardware like cranksets, brakes, handlebars etc is interchangeable with only the frame, fork, wheels and tyres being exclusive;

2) 26" tyres are still very easy to come by, therefore I see no issue riding a 26" for the next 10 years;

3) 26" bikes tend to sell 2nd hand a lot cheaper than 29ers as they are seen as "old technology";

My opinion, by a 26'er, get better value for money, enjoy the ride. When you decide that you like the sport and have R20k to spend on a higher end bike get yourself a mid range 2nd hand 29'er

Archived