How forked is your fork?

Tankman

T-man. I'm no Brunox evangelist. I'll stop using it and have a look during the next lowers service what the condition of the oil and foam rings are. Will be an interesting comparison. 

Two lowers services in and my foam rings look just like yours despite using Brunox frequently, but conservatively.

Two people essentially driving this thread. Both are being equally ridiculously stubborn.  I'll go with what Droo said (besides he did the last lowers and he wasn't particularly alarmed).

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool man, just have a closer look at your foamrings. It kind of looks like there are black spots starting to form and they might end up looking like the ones in my example given some time.

In the example I used above, the fork was not serviced in two years and the owner started using the external lube little over a year back.  My guess was that the foamrings were bone dry when he started using the external lube, which made things worse.

In my opinion the combination Rock Shox Foamrings and external lube is a far worse than that lube combined with Fox foamrings.  The Fox foamrings are much more dense and retain their oil way better.

Far too often when I open a Rock Shox up, the foamrings are dry.

So to me it sounds that often it's actually just owner neglect f'ing up their rings, which then creates less ideal environment to be using stanchion lube (which is not meant to replace fork oil as a lubricant, but rather in minute quantities as a cleaner - well that's how I use it anyways)?

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, that's like saying it's OK to put sugar in your petrol tank, because the owner's manual doesn't explicitly say you shouldn't.

I support the use of a stanchion lube, but I also know that most of the 'developed' products are cheap gun oils in a fancy tin (with a fancy price). 

You can be sure that if the thieves at FOX could sell you stanchion oil, also at R1000/l, they would. "Snake oil" IMO is apt.

I believe that, as with chains, dust and grit stick to exposed oil. Oiling stanchions is begging for grit and dust to stick there, hang out there, and grind the stanchions and seals away. Every stroke becoming a grind. There is more than enough internal oil and oily vapour going on inside to prevent dry dust seals.

• 2 weeks later...

You can be sure that if the thieves at FOX could sell you stanchion oil, also at R1000/l, they would. "Snake oil" IMO is apt.

I believe that, as with chains, dust and grit stick to exposed oil. Oiling stanchions is begging for grit and dust to stick there, hang out there, and grind the stanchions and seals away. Every stroke becoming a grind. There is more than enough internal oil and oily vapour going on inside to prevent dry dust seals.

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/10/19/review-whistler-performance-lubricants-fork-boost-and-chain-boost-keep-things-clean-and-smooth/

"I always felt like I was doing my bikes a big favor by using Fork Boost, and it certainly hasn’t produced any negative effects on my fork’s performance. If you’re looking to keep your forks clean and running smooth, I’d happily recommend Fork Boost."

Which fork ?

And if you had to make A rough guess how may hours ?

Dude, never even saw your reply. 

It's a RS Lyrik RCT3 2016. 

Have no idea i.t.o. hours, but probably far over the recommended 50h interval. 

BTW, I thoroughly recommend the Charger 2 damper upgrade. Also, through trial and error I can also recommend a healthy dose of SRAM Butter on that air spring. My Reba is oh so smooth now.

Problem is that most people do not do the 50hr service, which is quick and should cost in the region of R650-R850.

By the time it does get serviced, it is too late for a 50hr service and seals, dustwipers must be added.  Fox Dustwipers are R665 at the moment.  Then you are up to R1300 quickly.

If the 50hr service or lets call it a "lowers service", gets done regularly, you would not need to replace dustwipers that often. 

None of the lbs's I've made use of for servicing forks (at least 4)  offered a "lowers service". They've only ever allowed a full service even on request...

A complete fork service is a bit of a mission but well within the grasp of a home mechanic if you are careful and willing to learn. I have managed the learning part but a bit too adhd to be properly careful...

The lowers service is a complete doddle and should become second nature and a regular part of your bike maintenance. 

I am going to show a friend of mine how to do it in exchange for dinner and a beer this weekend. I already know the fork is well past its prime - he was slack on servicing and the dirt at the wiper has already worn the stanchions... still I am sure his wife will get quite a bit of use out of the fork yet though.

The funny thing is that in SA being the marathon nation of nations, suspension is ignored I think. Its enduro/dh people who invest in maintenance and tweaking IMO.

Please note that the new Charger 2 damper uses a special socket that looks like a cassette socket, without the centre locating pin, and not the size 30 normal socket. Not very expensive, just order at your LBS before you start the job.

Quite right, but I'm still on the Charger 1, as are most guys who don't have new bikes with the 2018 forks. 

• 3 weeks later...

Guys only way to ride is SS ridgid.

Since I have gone that route strength and skills are up and costs are down

Guys only way to ride is SS ridgid.

Since I have gone that route strength and skills are up and costs are down

3bld4.gifgiphy.gif

Archived