SCAM ALERT: Letumile - 078 835 9549

Rudi Pollard

I have encountered this several times over the years. Usually a guy with a Nigerian accent or via e mail saying he will buy (without seeing goods), whats my account details. I DON'T share my acc. details and ignore.

Anyone buying sight unseen is going to be a scammer, simple, cut and dried!

A little bit harsh. I have done many deals on the Hub. All of them unseen (me buying). Some were big numbers. No problems so far. I speak to people. Rouxtjie rule is a good guideline.

A little bit harsh. I have done many deals on the Hub. All of them unseen (me buying). Some were big numbers. No problems so far. I speak to people. Rouxtjie rule is a good guideline.

Rouxtjie rule?

I had a guy email me regarding cycling shoes I was selling. Seemed very dodgy for several reasons but mainly he seemed my concerned about getting my address, mobile number and bank details than details of the shoes.

So I said that after giving it some thought, I needed to triple my asking price as the shoes have been broken in for him so he doesn't have to go through any discomfort like I did.

He said that was fine and could he have my details.

When I told him that I work at ABSA head office !!!

And who is the scammer now ??? ????????????????

You should have told him he can come and collect the bike.  Then drop him a pin at someone from work you don't like.  Ok, don't do that, just drop him a pin of a random place so he can go there to collect the bike.  If everybody keeps sending this scammers to random places and messing with them a bit they might get gatvol and stop.  Well, maybe they won't stop but at least you can make them spend some petrol money......

This could work. Perhaps send them to the corner outside a Police Station? Tell them to pop in - it's where you work . . . 

:-)

So I said that after giving it some thought, I needed to triple my asking price as the shoes have been broken in for him so he doesn't have to go through any discomfort like I did.

He said that was fine and could he have my details.....

haha Very good!

If this sort of thing doesn't phase the buyer then you know it's dodgy!

The matter has already been reported to the bank. The fraud department is just waiting for the cheque to bounce before the can officially log the matter and investigate it.

I did google the number but got no hits on it so I assumed its a new sim card that he is using.

The trick of stolen cheque deposit is an old one and not confined to the the bike trade.

I've had deposit slips sent to me that have been modified to reflect "Cash"  so you meant to think its all okay since its cash and the balance reflects but nowadays is usually indicated on the transaction whether its cash or chq.

No wonder no one uses or accepts cheques here.

Archived