Cradle of Humankind route

JaQ

Does anybody know where the best place is to leave your car to cycle in the Cradle of humankind and what route is the best for approximately 40km cycle?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know where the best place is to leave your car to cycle in the Cradle of humankind and what route is the best for approximately 40km cycle?

Welcome to BikeHub.

Next stop....google. http://www.bicycling.co.za/training-nutrition/the-cradle-joburgs-saviour/

At this time of year, all the places to park are super busy, so get there early (before 0700).

Edit: Bidon Bistro, next to Kloofzicht, isn't marked on the link, but is also a nice place to park and have a bite to eat afterwards.

As for a 40km route: a cradle lap with a return detour to Sterkfontein caves is 45km and should do the job.

Just anticipate that currently the Cradle is very busy with other cyclists and road users, so despite the presence of the cycling lane, it's worth trying to be considerate and respectful to all road users.

Edited by Fat Boab

Depends where you're coming from.

I live in Fourways, so come via Cedar Road - Valverde works for me (or even the shopping centre next to the Hertford). Same would apply if you're coming from Pta/Sandton I suppose.

Otherwise, if you're coming from the West, Cafe Bidon/Something Country/Avianto might work better.

I always park at Bidon, and have not had an issue finding parking. Go early if you are worried (around 6am). I have also seen cyclists park at the Lion Park. Not sure how easy it is to access the road from there though. 

If you stop for coffee or food after your ride, be careful with your bike. There have been thefts recently. 

Have fun. It's a great place to ride, especially just after the sun has come up. 

Bidon is nice, but seems to be a victim of its own success. Lots of cars, ex golfers and loooong waits for coffee.

For a 40km-ish ride, I suggest you park at Something Country (long time supporters of cyclists.) 

Ride out towards Kloofzicht, at the circle take a right and ride all the way up to Beyers, then left all the way to the top circle, left again towards the Lion and Rhino Park, then when you kit the Lion park circle you can either turn left to head back towards Kloofzicht and Something Country, which will give you about a 35km ride from memory, or you can turn right and head to the Cave and back to Something Country which should make it about 45km I think, could always turn back a bit sooner to hit your 40km.

like this.. trip back to something country is 12km, so will be 46km total

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sterkfontein+Caves,+Johannesburg,+South+Africa/Something+Country,+19+Driefontein+road,+Kromdraai,+Muldersdrift,+1747,+South+Africa/@-25.9801204,27.7800108,12z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x1e959008f64901bf:0xab6deba5ea2befef!2m2!1d27.7335728!2d-26.0167536!3m4!1m2!1d27.8650173!2d-25.9282955!3s0x1e9583a843259a35:0x2670c76abb90dcfe!1m5!1m1!1s0x1e959b4533f35aa5:0xb6b59ecbe69aba0d!2m2!1d27.8186271!2d-25.9967106!3e0

Edited by Patchelicious

The below would give you +/- 37 km's

As mentioned by others, there are quite a few places one could park depending on preference.

The only thing not too lekker about that route is the section on Beyers that doesn't have a shoulder. (Between the Satellite climb and Peter Road)

Edited by Patchelicious

For a short one we like to park at Riverstone (gated, car guards etc...)

It’s on the same road as something country / avianto but right close to the N14.

From there head up the road to the circle by kloofzicht / bidon and turn left down the hill. At the next circle by the lion park left again to the end of the caves road and back to Riverstone.

Around 38km odd.

• 3 months later...

Good day hubbers, just a little thread hijack as I need some quick advice.

I'm planning on riding the cradle MTB route for the first time tomorrow. I was wondering what would be a good time to go as I'd prefer it to be busy (i.e. safe) but not too busy as I'm just a beginner and don't want to get in the way of others?

Good day hubbers, just a little thread hijack as I need some quick advice.

I'm planning on riding the cradle MTB route for the first time tomorrow. I was wondering what would be a good time to go as I'd prefer it to be busy (i.e. safe) but not too busy as I'm just a beginner and don't want to get in the way of others?

The MTB loop is ridable from sunrise, get busy around 6-7 am, then very busy from 7:30 till 10.

There are always people there, but what is cool is that its not a serious loop, so most people are friendly-ish.

Biggest piece of advice though is to ride it in the right direction!! DO NOT ride against the flow.