Concerned BMC owner - JHB

AntonG

I am the proud owner of x2 BMC's (FS01 & SLR1)

I have just been informed that my LBS is no longer recognised as an authorised BMC Dealer. 

The closest authorised LBS for repairs/services is in Bloemfontein! 

I have been a loyal customer to this LBS for well over 5 years. The service, workmanship, support and brand knowledge has always been superb!

Cannot believe BMC Switzerland were involved in the decision to revoke their status.

This shop has single handily built and ran with the local brand awareness for BMC.

They are known as the BMC shop in SA.

Always a concern when a non rider is the person driving the brand/strategy/vision. 

By way of example, it's now cheaper to fly to the UK - buy the bike from Evans Cycles and fly home with it.

Fortunately the world is round and will continue to turn...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spez opened their concept store in Cape Town and did the very same with my local LBS. Concept store in the same city, so situation a bit different, but don't feel I have the same attention with the concept store as I do from my LBS. So ... no Spez for me. Riding their pair of shoes to death before I move on though.  :whistling:

This decision is comparable to firing a shotgun from the hip...

Little thought went into it. 

Going to be an expensive lesson for this guy. 

The LBS has their following and great reputation, unfortunately I can't say the same about the local distributor. Hopefully Switzerland will wake up.

Spez opened their concept store in Cape Town and did the very same with my local LBS. Concept store in the same city, so situation a bit different, but don't feel I have the same attention with the concept store as I do from my LBS. So ... no Spez for me. Riding their pair of shoes to death before I move on though.  :whistling:

I am sure their are valid reasons for the withdrawal of the brand from the store - perhaps he can't pay for the stock? perhaps the owner no longer wants to deal with the brand and makes up stories? 

I am sure their are valid reasons for the withdrawal of the brand from the store - perhaps he can't pay for the stock? perhaps the owner no longer wants to deal with the brand and makes up stories? 

none that I can see.... the owner is a very transparent guy. He admits his flaws/weakness.

He is the most knowledgable/passionate person in the country when it comes to the brand.

I am sure things will change. 

Try Desing  in Motion Cycles Rivonia or Swiss Cycles Illovo

both of those stores are no longer "authorised dealers"

According to Swiss Cycles they can help, but BMC have pulled out of SA and there is a new person still learning the ropes.

But how much of a problem is it really. Other than frame waranties there should not really be that much need for a BMC specific dealer.  Your local LBS could still do your maintenance. The components that needs to be replaced is normally readily available.  I can only think of cases where there are specific parts like maybe headset, BB maybe and hanger replacement.

But how much of a problem is it really. Other than frame waranties there should not really be that much need for a BMC specific dealer.  Your local LBS could still do your maintenance. The components that needs to be replaced is normally readily available.  I can only think of cases where there are specific parts like maybe headset, BB maybe and hanger replacement.

yeah i thought about that.... there are some parts that are uniquely different. 

Fortunately the bikes are durable and go a long way before major components are needed.

Always nice to walk into a LBS where they know and understand the product/issues/process for warranty claims....

If I had to have a warranty claim, now I need to courier my bike to Bloem... 

Madness. 

Problem is RSA has such a small market share I dont think Switzerland really care.

yeah i thought about that.... there are some parts that are uniquely different. 

Fortunately the bikes are durable and go a long way before major components are needed.

Always nice to walk into a LBS where they know and understand the product/issues/process for warranty claims....

If I had to have a warranty claim, now I need to courier my bike to Bloem... 

Madness. 

Problem is RSA has such a small market share I dont think Switzerland really care.

That is propably part of the problem.  We do not have these issues here.  Market is huge.

They should still honour your warranty 

They will, but the OP is concerned about the issues / delays associated with this.

The only issues I see going forward is a warranty replacement on a frame, or a specific unique part unique to BMC.

All services etc. can still be done by your LBS - my advice, learn to service your own bike.

Your post made me realise that my BMC is now out of its warranty period  :wacko: 

Luckily it's been perfectly smooth sailing and I've had no need to contact Switzerland!  Love my BMC. 

Your post made me realise that my BMC is now out of its warranty period  :wacko:

Luckily it's been perfectly smooth sailing and I've had no need to contact Switzerland!  Love my BMC. 

they are incredible bikes.... I can't see myself ridding anything else. 

BMC look like stunning bikes. Not sure how they aim to grow the brand with this outlook. Perhaps it's not worth their while... Perhaps BMC aren't worth mine? Not that they care I guess.