Gps watch

Jeanne-Mari

I would like to know what's best. Im looking for a gps watch to also track my over all activity and mainly for cycling. Cant decide between the lyzane micro GPS and the TomTom spark 3. Any suggestions or something else I should consider . Thanks

I would like to know what's best. Im looking for a gps watch to also track my over all activity and mainly for cycling. Cant decide between the lyzane micro GPS and the TomTom spark 3. Any suggestions or something else I should consider . Thanks

Go for the TomTom Spark 3...easy to use and works great, also not to expensive. Battery life not that great on GPS mode, but it work really well.

I have a Super fancy Suunto, but to stupid to operate it...bought the TomTom as it does everything and much more user friendly. 

https://www.takealot.com/all?qsearch=Tomtom+spark+3&_sb=1&_dt=all&_r=1

Between those two, for overall activity I'd go for the Tomtom Spark/Runner 3 Cardio.

The Lezyne is feature-packed, at least for cycling use, but a tad bulky and doesn't have the built-in HR monitor. Plus the Tomtom syncs to Discovery, the main reason I bought mine.

The Suunto Spartan Trainer mentioned looks quite good though, and is about R800 more than the Tomtom.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/08/spartan-trainer-wrist-hr-review.html

Depending on your budget.

Currently some Suunto Ambit 3's HR avail for quite fair prices, also the Polar M400.  Both products are being replaced but there is nothing wrong with it.  Suunto just launched a 5y warranty which includes the Ambit 3's.    (Do you require an HRM strap and sensor?)

TomTom might be down scaling their sport watch business I believe?

The TomTom Spark is great and all, I use one, but here are the reasons I wont get one again:

I've had the watch for less than a year and I'm on my second strap already, first one started tearing just below the toggle button and the second one is already starting to tear again. Some online searching reveals this is a known issue and it happens a lot. 

When doing any sort of exercise where your wrist muscles/tendons flex the HR monitor can't pick up an accurate reading, for example, on the rowing machine in the gym my HR displays as 50bmp or when doing weights etc. I don't even sleep at 50pbm.

Again, this seems to be the norm with wrist based HR monitors. 

I use to for MTB, so when going down rough tracks at speed, it seems like the watch shakes too much to the point where the GPS can't be picked up anymore. When looking at the stats online afterwards you can see the signal lost and then a couple of seconds later being picked up again some distance down the track. But these are on rough tracks though. 

Overall its pretty good and should work perfectly for road riding etc. 

Next watch I am considering is the Suunto Spartan Trainer. 

Check out Garmin's site for unboxed deals, very good prices there and a VERY good product with great service from Navworld.

The TomTom Spark is great and all, I use one, but here are the reasons I wont get one again:

I've had the watch for less than a year and I'm on my second strap already, first one started tearing just below the toggle button and the second one is already starting to tear again. Some online searching reveals this is a known issue and it happens a lot. 

When doing any sort of exercise where your wrist muscles/tendons flex the HR monitor can't pick up an accurate reading, for example, on the rowing machine in the gym my HR displays as 50bmp or when doing weights etc. I don't even sleep at 50pbm.

Again, this seems to be the norm with wrist based HR monitors. 

I use to for MTB, so when going down rough tracks at speed, it seems like the watch shakes too much to the point where the GPS can't be picked up anymore. When looking at the stats online afterwards you can see the signal lost and then a couple of seconds later being picked up again some distance down the track. But these are on rough tracks though. 

Overall its pretty good and should work perfectly for road riding etc. 

Next watch I am considering is the Suunto Spartan Trainer. 

Would the replacement straps work for the Tom Tom Multisport? 

Would the replacement straps work for the Tom Tom Multisport? 

Yeas, as far as I know the straps are compatible with the Spark, Runner, Multisport etc. 

Garmin 920XT for the win!!

Older generation watch still capable of doing everything and easy to operate. Some good deals on them on the Hub

According to a recent study of a recent Marathon, 85% of people were using a garmin variant, proof is in the pudding.

In cycling its higher than that. 

I would look at a forerunner, if you are discovery or momentum you can get it for cheap cheap

I think start off with a list of what your budget is and what you want the watch to do? Is HR needed? Should it be small? Will a bigger watch stop you from using it as often as you would like? Etc

If the budget allows I would always recommend a Garmin, I have the Fenix 3 and love it!!

If the budget does not allow the Garmins have a look at Suunto, there's a few very capable pieces that will not completely break the bank.

Alternatively why not go for a Fitbit (or something similar), to track your daily HR, steps and exercise and then a bicycle based computer with a HR strap?

I am a runner doing cycling to "crosstrain". I have been using TOMTOM for about 2 years now, and I still believe it is the best value for money watches one can buy.

Tomtom is true multisport watch with running, cycle, gym, swimming, freestyle etc modes.

Battery life is 8hrs so most events are covered. Also no issues ever with GPS reception. 

The software and upgrades/support by TOMTOM is excellent. The newest upgrade now show V02max and "fitness age". Also Vitality points as you exercise are shown.

Have the trail mode so you cant get lost :) also support .gpx files.

TomTom Spark 3 HR / Runner 3 HR

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/tt-runner-3-cardio/5923

long slow runs or short fast ones.

• Track your heart rate on your wrist
  • GPS tracking
  • Multisport mode allows you to track multiple sports
  • 24/7 Activity Tracking - steps, distance, active time, heart rate and calories
  • New Route Exploration - explore new areas and find your way home with your trail shown on your wrist
  • Also upload new trails to follow on your wrist
  • Stay on track with in-activity compass
  • Battery life GPS only 11 hours, GPS + Heart Rate up to 9 hours
  • Does NOT include music storage
  • Fitness Age shows how fit you really are by comparing your VO2 max level with global averages for your age and gender

Features

Archived