MTB Helmet advice

It's time for a new lid!

I have had my IXS Trail RS from when it landed in January 2014 and it has been amazing. Over the years the padding has given up and there is no replacement stock left for the original model. Last week my adjustment dial disappeared and that was 100% a sign I need a new helmet.

So far I have narrowed it down to 3 options and I would appreciate any input you have. 

bell-sixer-mips-168651-1-11-1.jpg
Bell Sixer (Omnico is not bring this in, only the 4Forty :cursing:  but you can see what I like)

poc-tectal-helmet-uranium-black-PC105061POC Tectal

http://www.olympiccycles.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/dbx3black.jpg
Leatt DBX 3.0

I will try fitting the POC and Leatt this week from Dirt Merchant and Sprocket&Jack respectively. 

Are there any other notable mentions I should be looking at? At the moment I'm not fussed about price, colour, or MIPS. I would actually prefer a helmet without MIPS. POC has already moved on and they were the first investor in the technology. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a new helmet earlier this year, tried on the IXS Trail but ended up going with the Specialized Ambush. Comfort level was chalk and cheese compared to IXS  - but everyone's dome is a different shape!

In short I have found the ventilation to be good, it does not move around once on and is very comfortable.

Bontrager Rally?

Tried one out and I really liked it. Good pricing. Under 2k and as far as I know they have a no questions comfort guarantee.

Teeni bit warm and teeni bit heavy but you'd expect that with that type of lid.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Bontrager Rally?

Tried one out and I really liked it. Good pricing. Under 2k and as far as I know they have a no questions comfort guarantee.

Teeni bit warm and teeni bit heavy but you'd expect that with that type of lid.

Wasn't even on my radar! Thank you so much I will look at that one also! 

It dawned on me at yesterday's All Mountain Enduro race at Dirtopia that I probably need to get a new helmet too. Everybody was sporting enduro helmets, some proper full face stuff, and there I was with my helmet sitting on top of my head like a bloody cap on a bottle of beer.

I would love to get one with a removable chin bar. But sooo expensive :'(

I can't speak highly enough of this:

Bluegrass Goldeneyes. A gift from my sister in the UK vis CRC.

Light, comfy, vents well, good protection, some well thought out features like the soft kevlar chin strap and a gel strip around the front. Worth a look.

post-53895-0-27171200-1510581760_thumb.jpg

I can't speak highly enough of this:

Bluegrass Goldeneyes. A gift from my sister in the UK vis CRC.

Light, comfy, vents well, good protection, some well thought out features like the soft kevlar chin strap and a gel strip around the front. Worth a look.

I will read up about that! Do you know what the tax is on protective wear from the UK?

It dawned on me at yesterday's All Mountain Enduro race at Dirtopia that I probably need to get a new helmet too. Everybody was sporting enduro helmets, some proper full face stuff, and there I was with my helmet sitting on top of my head like a bloody cap on a bottle of beer.

The Leatt has that! I'm not sure if you can buy the chin bar after the helmet?

I'm nowhere near needing it yet but hopefully one day my skills might require it.

DSC_0072.jpg

*Edit: They have 2 models, the AM model is standard and the Enduro V2 model which comes with the detachable jaw bar...

Edited by Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The Leatt has that! I'm not sure if you can buy the chin bar after the helmet?

I'm nowhere near needing it yet but hopefully one day my skills might require it.

DSC_0072.jpg

*Edit: They have 2 models, the AM model is standard and the Enduro V2 model which comes with the detachable jaw bar...

Yeah I wouldn't say that I "need" it on the average weekend ride, but those trees were pretty tight yesterday and my bars are rather wide (BTW shout out to Myles who recommended getting the Rapide Controlpack. That handles like a dream, thanks my bud. I would have died on that bridge if it wasn't for my new setup).

I know a bud of mine also has that Leatt. The Bell Super 3R also has the removable jaw bar which is awesome, but both of those are proper investment helmets, i.e. they don't come cheap :(

Edited by FrikkieMeyer87

I am biased as I have owned the Leatt All Mountain. I found it very well priced, comfy and airy with the added bonus of their turbine system - Leatt's version of MIPS. I ended with this helmet after using a POC Trabec (a bit heavy and expensive) and then Giro Chronicle (a bit hot), and was pleasantly surprised on its comfort.

Have now moved on to the Leatt Enduro with removable chin bar - as the All Mountain could not be upgraded to accept the chin bar. Great helmet I must say! At the end of the day it also depends on what fits on your noggin...

I landed a Bell Super R3 this month from Merlin cycles for under 3k......

I've been looking for a new helmet after a couple of bounces in my IXS as well. To behonest I was going to keep an eye on the Black Friday Sales from CRC as they do focus alot on helmets throughout with some great discounts if you're not set on one make (I got my IXS last year for under R700)

I've been looking at the IXS again (because it's always been great), discounted the Bell Super because I had one and it was v.hot, the Bell Sixer looks pretty good, Those Blue Grass ones look great and the rubber pad at the front has been the best at diverting sweat out of my eyes (had them on my met - same company). 

I decided tho that I might need to take the plunge into the convertible market. I'm not going to buy a full face and a trail helmet and having had a couple of decent stacks recently I think it's no bad thing to have and extra bit of protection at races. 

Looked at the Uvex Jakkyl Hde and the Leatt convertible and while I like the style of the Leatt the cost locally was an off putting factor. The Uvex isn't as styled but does get the ASRM (?) american downhill certification on the helmet and the bar. Found a place in the UK that has the Uvex for £112 as long as you're head isn't too big! 

Was about to pull the trigger when I checked CRC on the off to see if they stocked any and found they have the Leatt convertible on special at the moment so job done @ R2335.

Edited by hellocolour

I landed a Bell Super R3 this month from Merlin cycles for under 3k......

Customs took their eye off the ball for a second there it seems...