Melted Carbon Rim

Piemps

Hopefully someone else can learn from my mistake or rather lack of knowledge. My rear roval carbon rim on my month old new bike literally melted because of the heat of the exhaust gasses of my hilux bakkie. I use the thule velocompact 926 towbar rack. This past friday we were on our way to an event, while on the road I heard a huge bang and pulled over. At first I thought that the wheel just burst for some reason but later on I realized the rim melted to what I believe is beyond repair. I went to a lbs and they explained to me that there has been instances of this happening. The exhaust pipe faces directly to the rear and has no downward or sideward bend and that caused the heat directly to the rim. Thule sells a heat deflection plate for this type of rack for roughly R900 which for me is money well spent or you can even make it yourself if you’re a hands on person. The cost of a new rim plus a rebuild plus a new tire cost me R6500.00 ????. Please take note of your vehicle setup and decide for yourself. I really hope this can help someone save a few moolas.

Edited by Piemps

Welcome to The Bike Hub, I wish your first post could have been a somewhat happier one!

I know it won't make you feel any better, but this has happened quite a few times before. Somewhat like driving into the garage with your bike on the roof rack. It is just a matter of time before the next guy is caught out.

Edit: Oh, please post some pictures of the damage. You will get lots of opinions and advice about the possibility / viability of carbon repairs.

Edited by DJR

Never in a million years would I have thought of this happening

Actually happens quite often.You need to see what a gravel road can do to the rims and paintwork on a bike.

Been covered a few times! Still extremely unfortunate and I'm sure ruined a weekend!

Few options noted already, deflector plates, remove the wheel while on the rack if rack design allows, and also redirecting exhaust flow. Many Fortuners and Hiluxes have had changes to end of pipe, either out the side or turned down to the floor. Powerflow, noise boyz, etc will do it super cheap.

Hopefully someone else can learn from my mistake or rather lack of knowledge. My rear roval carbon rim on my month old new bike literally melted because of the heat of the exhaust gasses of my hilux bakkie. I use the thule velocompact 926 towbar rack. This past friday we were on our way to an event, while on the road I heard a huge bang and pulled over. At first I thought that the wheel just burst for some reason but later on I realized the rim melted to what I believe is beyond repair. I went to a lbs and they explained to me that there has been instances of this happening. The exhaust pipe faces directly to the rear and has no downward or sideward bend and that caused the heat directly to the rim. Thule sells a heat deflection plate for this type of rack for roughly R900 which for me is money well spent or you can even make it yourself if you’re a hands on person. The cost of a new rim plus a rebuild plus a new tire cost me R6500.00 . Please take note of your vehicle setup and decide for yourself. I really hope this can help someone save a few moolas.

Sorry man - that really sucks! I had the same thing happen :(. I arrived at 5am for winter event to discover the tyre was flat - replaced the tube in the dark only for the sunrise to reveal the melted rim. It was a miserable drive back home. Luckily Cyclesure covered the replacement and rebuild - even after I filled out a claim explaining the melting from exhaust heat. In my case it was a diesel car - I take the wheels off now and put them inside.

Edited by Manuel De Jesus

Was also thinking of going the insurance route. Will try tomorrow and see what excuses they come up with to not help

Cheaper to put a bend on the exhaust.  My SS bend cost R300.

Sympathies with the resultant burn-out.

Local exhaust shop removed my cat and did the bend for free. Best performance upgrade ever!!!!!

this is why I drive a volvo with its eco friendly bullsh*t downwards facing exhaust system - who cares about the planet -  I was just worried about my cosmics :whistling: