Is tubeless for a road bike any good?

MarkW

Good afternoon and happy new year!

Over the past few rides, I've been experiencing a lot of punctures. I want to buy new rims and am considering tubeless, any opinions?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been running tubeless for the past 1,800km and it's great. I've had 3 punctures that sealed instantly and funnily enough one this morning that didn't. I should have topped up the sealant after the other punctures.

Stuck an inner tube in and away I went

I have been running tubeless for the past 1,800km and it's great. I've had 3 punctures that sealed instantly and funnily enough one this morning that didn't. I should have topped up the sealant after the other punctures.

Stuck an inner tube in and away I went

Hi Andreas

Thank you for your reply,

What tubeless rims and sealant are you using?

Good afternoon and happy new year!

Over the past few rides, I've been experiencing a lot of punctures. I want to buy new rims and am considering tubeless, any opinions?

If you are getting "a lot of punctures" in a "few rides" the problem might not be the technology but rather something specific to you, your riding situation and the way you are dealing with punctures.

Repeat roadbike punctures are mostly because you either  failed to removed the article which caused the first puncture or because your rim tape is compromised and you keep cutting your tube on a spoke hole.

Check these first. 

If you are getting "a lot of punctures" in a "few rides" the problem might not be the technology but rather something specific to you, your riding situation and the way you are dealing with punctures.

Repeat roadbike punctures are mostly because you either  failed to removed the article which caused the first puncture or because your rim tape is compromised and you keep cutting your tube on a spoke hole.

Check these first. 

and you may be running your pressure too low...  Also check on that. 

but lets hear the feedback on tubeless for road - it's a path I would consider going down eventually...

Edited by Dubber

I personally found it impossible to remove the tyre without the help of a pair of pliers after getting a glass cut that would not seal.  Would not want that to happen in a race.

Then you doing it wrong, I don't have an issue removing tyres from my Tubeless wheels, although I must add, I am not running them as tubeless yet though. but, unseat the tyre from the rim bead, I do not have an issue as all.

I pinch on the opposite side to the valve, push the tyre away form the rim, stick a tyre lever in and undo the tyre from the rim. What also helps is, pinching the tyre from the rim all the way around on the same side you intend to remove the tyre from (I hope that makes any sense)

Then you doing it wrong, I don't have an issue removing tyres from my Tubeless wheels, although I must add, I am not running them as tubeless yet though. but, unseat the tyre from the rim bead, I do not have an issue as all.

It all depends on what tyre / rim combination you are using.

Some tyres are very easy to unseat, others not so much.

Yeah, trying getting gatorskins off Maivc Aksiums. I know a friend who sold the wheelset with tyres and puncture as she could not face the thought of trying to change the bloody thing again.

Yeah, trying getting gatorskins off Maivc Aksiums. I know a friend who sold the wheelset with tyres and puncture as she could not face the thought of trying to change the bloody thing again.

Must've been a wire bead tyre then... The Foldable tyres works best on Tubeless rims...

Ran tubeless for a while but gone back to tubes.

Tubeless with slime is great for thorns but that’s it.

1st cut I got with glass was a nightmare.

Didn’t seal,very difficult to get tire off to put in tube,mess all over the place and happened just after I put a new tubeless tire on so I was now sitting with R1000 tire with a cut in.

If you out on a ride and get a cut that won’t seal it’s not very nice to deal with.

Tubeless tires are also very expensive.

Back on tubes,takes less than 5 min to change if I puncture and depending where and how you ride I’ve done 3000km without puncture yet.

Discussed here :-https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/167789-going-tubeless-on-a-road-bike/

I personally found it impossible to remove the tyre without the help of a pair of pliers after getting a glass cut that would not seal.  Would not want that to happen in a race.

need to use folding tires on a tubeless rim if not running tubeless. otherwise its a massive mission to remove the tire from the rim. 

Must've been a wire bead tyre then... The Foldable tyres works best on Tubeless rims...

Can’t run wire bead tires tubeless.

Tubeless tires are definitely a tighter fit on rim to make sure the tire seats and doesn’t blow off rim.

Could never remove tubeless tires without tire lever.Normal tires just thumbs are fine.

Can’t run wire bead tires tubeless.

Tubeless tires are definitely a tighter fit on rim to make sure the tire seats and doesn’t blow off rim.

Could never remove tubeless tires without tire lever.Normal tires just thumbs are fine.

Yeah, I didn't mean running a wire bead without a tube... Was referring to fitting a wire bead tyre with tube to the rim and trying to remove it, when it punctured...  ;)