Is tubeless for a road bike any good?

MarkW

What kind of puncture are you getting repeatedly?

Snakebites often relate to low pressure.[/quote

When I get a puncture it is mostly due to either glass or some other foreign object, as most of the time I pull this out of the tyre during inspection prior to putting in a new tube...maybe due to all the crap on the roads, after Christmas celebrations.

I check my wheels pressure before every ride, I inflate them to 7.5 bar... im assuming that this is correct?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll balance this out a bit. Been running tubeless for 3 years - Easton EA90SLX with either Schwalbe Pro (expensive) or Hutchinson Fusion tyres (OK). Both go on quite easily, especially the Schwalbe's which are brilliant but don't last very long.

Love my setup and I am unlikely to go back to tubes. It has saved me in a few races, most notably the One Tonner where a 1.5cm long thin piece of metal went through the tyre. I only found out after the race when I heard it moving around. Hole sealed up no problem obviously. Glass cuts are a problem and tyres are expensive.

That being said, I had a set of AC Argent's which were a pain in the you-know-what to use. The problem was the rim tape - it can get damaged when trying to put tyres on or take them off. I swore I would only ride tubeless with sealed rims (like the Eastons which have no spoke holes) but these are not that easy to get.

Two friends have the AC's and hate them for the same reason - one is running tubes now and is much happier. 

Hope this helps.

Hi Andreas

Thank you for your reply,

What tubeless rims and sealant are you using?

American Classic Victory 30

Schwalbe Pro One's

Orange seal (bought that in the UK, haven't tried any other).

Yeah, I didn't mean running a wire bead without a tube... Was referring to fitting a wire bead tyre with tube to the rim and trying to remove it, when it punctured...  ;)

dude seriously it depends ..try get a schwalbe tire off and on a set of mavic cosmic sl carbons or conti folders on the same for that matter ...some rims and some tires are a bitch to switch on a roadside period its not about technique they just dont want to cooperate. :thumbup:

if you going to race tubeless OP thats great just make sure that if you DO need to put in a tube due to a non sealing cut that you CAN get the tire off quickly on the roadside .

Edited by bikebloke

dude seriously it depends ..try get a schwalbe tire off and on a set of mavic cosmic sl carbons or conti folders on the same for that matter ...some rims and some tires are a bitch to switch on a roadside period its not about technique they just dont want to cooperate. :thumbup:

if you going to race tubeless OP thats great just make sure that if you DO need to put in a tube due to a non sealing cut that you CAN get the tire off quickly on the roadside .

Yep - I had a similar scenario with my MTB:  crest rims with saguro tires.  Bombproof - didn't get a puncture that didn't seal in the 3 years I was running the combo.  But if it did ever happen that I got a tear that didn't seal then I would have been poked.  There was no way I could take that tyre off outside of a workshop (let alone get it back on).  

Eventually, just before J2C last year I bottled it and changed to Racing Ralphs.  I can get those on/off the rims with one small tyre lever...

So I suspect a mix and match with road brands will yield the same trials and tribulations.

Put tubeless onto my road bike this weekend, Hutchinson 25c onto Bora One 50s.

Did the first ride this morning, am pretty chuffed. Running at the lower pressure (6 bar) really boosted confidence in the corners, and its sooo smooth. Yum yum.

I now have tubeless on all my bikes. Will be hard pressed to change back.

Must thank Alex from NorthCliff for doing a good conversion. When the valves line up exactly to the tyre decals, it makes me feel fuzzy inside.

Edited by Patchelicious

Put tubeless onto my road bike this weekend, Hutchinson 25c onto Bora One 50s.

Did the first ride this morning, am pretty chuffed. Running at the lower pressure (6 bar) really boosted confidence in the corners, and its sooo smooth. Yum yum.

I now have tubeless on all my bikes. Will be hard pressed to change back.

Must thank Alex from NorthCliff for doing a good conversion. When the valves line up exactly to the tyre decals, it makes me feel fuzzy inside.

What made you decide on the Hutchinsons?

I'm still on the fence deciding to go tubeless or not. Getting a lot of mixed feedback.

Such a shame that American Classic have gone into voluntary liquidation. Really hope someone can buy the company and turn them around as they have been making great wheels, hubs n' rims for such a long time.

Yeah especially since my birthday present I ordered for next week is from them :/

What made you decide on the Hutchinsons?

I'm still on the fence deciding to go tubeless or not. Getting a lot of mixed feedback.

I did many many years of research, ran polls, did surveys and read about 50 online reviews....

Nah, its simply what they had in stock :)

I did many many years of research, ran polls, did surveys and read about 50 online reviews....

Nah, its simply what they had in stock :)

Seems that is the challenge. Not too many choices out there right now. Locally at least.

Seems that is the challenge. Not too many choices out there right now. Locally at least.

Yeah, I would have preferred a Conti or similar, but hey... if you dont try you never know. I'll keep posting feedback as I use them more. My riding partner has used them for a while and he seems happy so far.

I did see that some guys now stock a new Mavic 28c tubeless, would have chosen that but apparently wont fit in my road frame....

Yeah, I would have preferred a Conti or similar, but hey... if you dont try you never know. I'll keep posting feedback as I use them more. My riding partner has used them for a while and he seems happy so far.

I did see that some guys now stock a new Mavic 28c tubeless, would have chosen that but apparently wont fit in my road frame....

Mmmmm... those plush 28's. Would also love to see what they're like, but will have to go n+1 for those to fit.

I might be mistaken but can't find a single TL road tyre on CWC's website.

need to use folding tires on a tubeless rim if not running tubeless. otherwise its a massive mission to remove the tire from the rim.

Should not be a mission - just technique - unseat both sides from the rim and push both sides to the middle of the rim all round - then and only then try get one side over the edge of the rim - Not sealant friendly because you tend to lose some if you are not careful - but it does give enough space to make it fairly easy - although good strong tire levers also help - cheap junk breaks too easily and hurts knuckles

It all depends on what tyre / rim combination you are using.

Some tyres are very easy to unseat, others not so much.

Yip, American Classic Argent's with Schwalbe Pro One's.  You'd swear the tyre was glued to the rim!!!