Overseas visitor looking to ride in/near Johannesberg next week!?

Bream

Hi all,

I came across bikehub whilst researching MTB trails near Johannesburg and wanted to ask you a question.

I travel all around the world with my job and next week I’ll be in Johannesburg, where ever I travel to I always try to get out and ride with locals or at least find a local shop who can rent me a bike and often a guide. Previous trips have allowed me to ride in Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Portugal, UK, Germany and serveral places in the US, in fact only my trips to China have so far not been possible!

Do you have any recommendations, is there an area I should try to get to with a bike shop local I could rent an MTB from? I arrive next Monday morning and fly back Thursday evening, so time is always tight with my trips and as I’ll be working in the day it would most likley be an evening ride, or early morning.

I'm very happy to pay and rent a bike from a shop, but often what's even better is when I can find a kind local rirder who can show around their local trails because this takes me to places I could never find on my own. So if anyone has a little spare time next week and wouldn't mind my following them around their local trails I'd be very grateful and happy to cover fuel/beer/lunch costs ;)

I'm a very experienced rider of all types, today mainly XC and CX, but have also raced DH and road in the past. I'd need a size L bike and ideally love to ride long flowy XC routes out in nature, but also happy to bang down an urben DH trail. All in all I just lover to ride, whatever and where ever it is :D

Thanks in advance for any info and Happy New Year to you all.

Regards,

Jeff

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not from Joburg but I think there is a bike shop called the Trailhead where you might get some help. They are located on an urban trail called "The spruit" in joburg.

I'm not from Joburg but I think there is a bike shop called the Trailhead where you might get some help. They are located on an urban trail called "The spruit" in joburg.

They are now called Sprocket and Jack if you are planning on contacting them. I don't know if they do rides, but the Spruit is an easy option.

Beware, if they offer a 5'1" 40kg guide called Amy to show you around. Run, Forrest, run. You are not strong enough !

And if they offer you a skeleton called Grant, who is not strong enough to ride a bike with a derailleur and therefore only has one gear, be afraid, very afraid.

ps. I don't know if they do hire out bikes, but they are good people and deserve support

I am happy to ride guide you around locally in Jhb if that helps - cant help with a size Large bike unfortunately... ????

Thanks for the reply Eddy, can't seem to find an e-mail address mind?

And thats a very generous offer V12man, thank you :thumbup:  What are your local trails, or where would you recommend and are you available next week? I could probably get a hire car but not sure how safe it really is to expect to drive around Joberg!

I'll be based somewhere between the airport and Kensington I think.

Big Red Barn ! You can rent a bike there, but sadly a low end 26er.

Find a large 29er DS from a bike shop and have a gas for an hour or two at this trail park (45 min outside Johannesburg).

And thats a very generous offer V12man, thank you :thumbup: What are your local trails, or where would you recommend and are you available next week? I could probably get a hire car but not sure how safe it really is to expect to drive around Joberg!

I'll be based somewhere between the airport and Kensington I think.

Probably worth a ride at our local Championship track... the Spruit - mostly to see some of Jhb - and then depending on bike Thaba trails or maybe Hakahana... and I am mostly free next week during the day - chat to Grant at Sprocket and Jack He probably has a demo that can be loaned out - especially if ypu are with someone he knows - and he and I are well acquainted - in a good way. Ask if you can ride a Pyga demo.... something you won't easily experience anywhere else.

And thats a very generous offer V12man, thank you :thumbup: 

You have a PM

I'll be based somewhere between the airport and Kensington I think. .Staying out that way would make it easier to get ride organised out on the East Rand ( Serengeti , Benoni , Bredel , Petit , Bapsfonfontein agricultural holdings ) We are a bunch of riders lady's and men who ride every Thursday starting at 7 AM and do about 60km +_3hrs including a carrot cake and coffee . I could ask one of our members who has a few bikes (large ) if you could use one of his . . Attached is a Strava map of a ride we did recently . We will be about 10 riders this Thursday . 

post-111826-0-57163600-1515511351_thumb.png

Are there still Night Rides form Sprocket and Jack (Trail head) on wednesdays evenings?

Hi FirstV8, this would be absolutely ideal if possible, just to be sure I'll be in Joberg Thursday 18th Jan, and not this Thursday the 11th. I'll also need to check my work schedule to see if it can fit. What ever the outcome thank you so much for the offer to help :thumbup:

Archived