Indoor Trainer "Plug and Play"

AllAboutRides

Anyone know of trainers for 1 x 12 Eagle setup?

I've got a Kickr 3 that I'm using with my MTB (XX1) with a through axle and it works brilliantly. Everything that I needed came in the box.

I use it ERG mode so no need to do any shifting.

You'll just need an ANT+ dongle which I got from cyborg.co.za

Edited by Loudpedal

how would the direct trainers be afftected by the Eagle?  Isnt it the bike frame more the issue?

Some direct drive trainer designs don't have enough room for the longer derailleur on Eagle.  Flux 1 had this issue.  You could still use it, but can't shift up to a few of the gears (guessing the 50t and 42t, which are closest to the trainer).  Obviously not an issue if you train in ERG mode only.

The Flux S is literally a Flux 1 that can accommodate long derailleur cages.

how would the direct trainers be afftected by the Eagle?  Isnt it the bike frame more the issue?

I know from MTB to Road you have a spacer you flip around so I think there will be an extra bush for boost, Lets ask Chrsitiaan.

I think there will be more than enough space on a Kickr for the large Diameter and cage.

Edited by Dexter-morgan

Easy to use - plug and play will not be what you'll be saying after attempting what you're trying to do  :D

I'm going to be so bold as to outline why its a bad idea to try and put your 1x12 Eagle set-up onto a trainer and then add the solution at the bottom after my essay  :whistling:.

1st: If you take your current mtb set-up and put it onto a trainer you will most definitely sell the trainer after the first use. The reason for this statement is two to three fold - 

1) There will be nothing remotely easy or plug and play about having to install your bike onto a trainer, calibrating the trainer and then starting the training session - even the direct drive trainers still requires some assembly

2) The mtb tire will make such a racket that you'll not be able to hear anything else other than the noise of the wheel (if you go the cheaper option of the tire on the flywheel not direct drive option) - think 4x4 tires on the highway

3) Think wear and tear, remember km's on the drive train whether indoors or outdoors is the same thing. 

Now you've started to think how you would go about over coming the above mentioned and now you realize that if you get yourself another rear wheel with a slick and cassette you'll reduce the noise and you go through slightly less effort every time you want to train. You will then soon realize that by getting yourself a spare wheel will mean that you need to get another 12 speed cassette to fit and then trying to get someone to sell you just the rear wheel is easier said than done. 

Going with a direct drive trainer where the rear wheel is not required is an option but they go for R15k upwards. 

You will then decide that maybe its just too much effort and you'll scrap the whole idea all together  :clap:.

Now here's my solution to resolve all the above mentioned and also achieve your original wish of "no mess, no fuss" easy riding get up and go.

Look on the Hub for a 26er in your size (you can also build said bike - I prefer to build) - will be in the region of R3k 

Get yourself a Tacx Satori Smart, Flow, Vortex, Bushido or any other brand like the Wahoo then install the 26er onto the trainer and leave your current bike off the trainer. 

The Flow is currently going for R 6 499.00 from Cycle Lab: http://cyclelab.com/tacx-ergo-flow-trainer/ 

So the total spend on your new purchase = R 9 499.00 for a permanent solution and when you're training indoors you don't have to worry about wearing out the drive train on your mtb or the mission of putting it onto and taking it off the trainer  :thumbup: .

Anyone know of trainers for 1 x 12 Eagle setup?

Easy to use - plug and play will not be what you'll be saying after attempting what you're trying to do  :D

I'm going to be so bold as to outline why its a bad idea to try and put your 1x12 Eagle set-up onto a trainer and then add the solution at the bottom after my essay  :whistling:.

1st: If you take your current mtb set-up and put it onto a trainer you will most definitely sell the trainer after the first use. The reason for this statement is two to three fold - 

1) There will be nothing remotely easy or plug and play about having to install your bike onto a trainer, calibrating the trainer and then starting the training session - even the direct drive trainers still requires some assembly

2) The mtb tire will make such a racket that you'll not be able to hear anything else other than the noise of the wheel (if you go the cheaper option of the tire on the flywheel not direct drive option) - think 4x4 tires on the highway

3) Think wear and tear, remember km's on the drive train whether indoors or outdoors is the same thing. 

Now you've started to think how you would go about over coming the above mentioned and now you realize that if you get yourself another rear wheel with a slick and cassette you'll reduce the noise and you go through slightly less effort every time you want to train. You will then soon realize that by getting yourself a spare wheel will mean that you need to get another 12 speed cassette to fit and then trying to get someone to sell you just the rear wheel is easier said than done. 

Going with a direct drive trainer where the rear wheel is not required is an option but they go for R15k upwards. 

You will then decide that maybe its just too much effort and you'll scrap the whole idea all together  :clap:.

Now here's my solution to resolve all the above mentioned and also achieve your original wish of "no mess, no fuss" easy riding get up and go.

Look on the Hub for a 26er in your size (you can also build said bike - I prefer to build) - will be in the region of R3k 

Get yourself a Tacx Satori Smart, Flow, Vortex, Bushido or any other brand like the Wahoo then install the 26er onto the trainer and leave your current bike off the trainer. 

The Flow is currently going for R 6 499.00 from Cycle Lab: http://cyclelab.com/tacx-ergo-flow-trainer/ 

So the total spend on your new purchase = R 9 499.00 for a permanent solution and when you're training indoors you don't have to worry about wearing out the drive train on your mtb or the mission of putting it onto and taking it off the trainer  :thumbup: .

Thanks! It really makes a lot of sense.