Spez camber comp 2017 or giant anthem 2 2018

Slowbee

So after months and months of deliberations and pros and cons and bugging sellers and bugging hubbers for advice, the time has come.

But I need some help choosing between the two.

The Anthem 2 2018 R40k (give or take), brand new.

Cambers going for R40k as 2017 as second hand models.

The reviews look and sound similar. The numbers look similar - but will they ride similar?

I am not to much of a weight weenie. So the carbon vs alu is not a major thing. It is more about the ride. Oh and the maintenance.

I was horrified at what the replacement costs are on sram eagle 1x setup thingies. 2x works fine thank you and I am used to shifint with xt and sram.

The hub archives have loads of info on older model comparisons, but much has changed in 2017/2018, especially with the giant anthem.

What does the hub jury say ? Similar rides or unfair comparison?

Despite my love for giant bicycles

The anthem has a unnecessarily complicated suspension design which squeaks creaks and moans at the sight of dust (or mud in places where there is water)

* i know it wasn't on the list but what about a Scott spark?

* i know it wasn't on the list but what about a Scott spark?

its not on the list :)

unless someone can convince me to go that way and the price falls within the space.

ok, so there are loads of bikes in the price space.

but are they all similar ride feels ?

I mean taking a bike for a short test ride round the block is no indication of actual feel.

Hey Slowbee, I know you've been riding for quite some time, so would not make the mistake of buying the wrong type of bike for your riding style. And I'm sure that you've checked out every single bike vs price available locally and based your two (three) finalists on that.

What are you riding mostly? That will taper the vote between those two imo.

I have the 2017 Camber Comp, and my boet has the 2017 Anthem. Although the Giant is a good bike, it is more xc orientated, and I would not ride that bike the same way as I do my Camber. I enjoy the Hoogies Skills Park et al. Also, my Camber is 2x upfront, whereas the Anthem is 1x. Now, before I get ham-strung, I am not a weight weenie, punching the scales at 115 Kg. So for me, having a bit more range makes sense, especially considering where I ride most of the time.

I would go for Camber again given the chance. Those Roval 29mm inner width rims are as tough as nails, and the overall ride is very good. My only gripe is the lowish BB, causing me to have the odd pedal strike, and also causing an endo on the Bloemendaaler descent a few weeks back.

But still, between these two, Camber for the win.

Nox, that is the problem.

For the last 10 years I have ridden a titus racer x 26er that was sold to me by Mr Crow.

I tried one or two rides on Mrs Slowbee's 650b and I realise it is time to upgrade.

Things are just getting expensive to maintain on the 26er.

In other words I have never been on a 29er. :eek: :blush:

EDIT: in other words I have nothing to compare against.

I have the 2017 Camber Comp, and my boet has the 2017 Anthem. Although the Giant is a good bike, it is more xc orientated, and I would not ride that bike the same way as I do my Camber. I enjoy the Hoogies Skills Park et al. Also, my Camber is 2x upfront, whereas the Anthem is 1x. Now, before I get ham-strung, I am not a weight weenie, punching the scales at 115 Kg. So for me, having a bit more range makes sense, especially considering where I ride most of the time.

I would go for Camber again given the chance. Those Roval 29mm inner width rims are as tough as nails, and the overall ride is very good. My only gripe is the lowish BB, causing me to have the odd pedal strike, and also causing an endo on the Bloemendaaler descent a few weeks back.

But still, between these two, Camber for the win.

the 2018 anthem is almost totally redesigned, so wanting to compare an anthem 2018 to a camber 2017. Like you I am not to much of a weight weenie.

If you are going to be riding more trails, my vote would be the Camber. It is a very capable bike, still light and nimble.

I am a giant Giant fan, but would only go for the Anthem if I was planning on racing more.

Also note: only based on reading reviews and chatting to friends riding these two.

There's always going to be different brands that can work for your budget and or riding style, but if you like those two - that is how I would differentiate it.

trying to find the holy grail.

a 29er that rides exactly like the titus. as comfy as hell for TB and desert dash and 100 milers, but loves to be taken to jonkers and s2c.

all this jargon mumbo jumbo of trail and XC and marathon clouds things terribly when the salesman speaks.

and racing is not a word I understand.

I understand riding, but not racing.

the 2018 anthem is almost totally redesigned, so wanting to compare an anthem 2018 to a camber 2017. Like you I am not to much of a weight weenie.

I can't say much for the new Anthem, but if you are more inclined to the fun-factor, then Camber all the way.

If you are going to be riding more trails, my vote would be the Camber. It is a very capable bike, still light and nimble.

I am a giant Giant fan, but would only go for the Anthem if I was planning on racing more.

Also note: only based on reading reviews and chatting to friends riding these two.

There's always going to be different brands that can work for your budget and or riding style, but if you like those two - that is how I would differentiate it.

Nox, my thoughts exactly. My Camber is a trail beast, and as I said, I would not dare ride the Anthem the way I ride my Camber. I have complete confidence on the Spez, whereas on my boet's Anthem, it just feels jittery. And my brother agrees, He also notes the skittish nature of the steering when we are descending, and at the odd times we ride Jonkers, I am normally the one waiting for him at the bottom of the ST, sometimes for quite some time, before he catches up. That leads me to believe the Anthem wants to race Epic's, not trails. The Camber wants to go have fun, and is still capable of a long day slogging a marathon, but won't get you onto the podium, unless you're Schurter or Sauser. 

So, Slowbee, your decision is found in what type of riding you're after. Get that sorted, and then pull the trigger. Either way, they are both good bikes in their own right.

They will feel different.

The Trek, and Scott are nice bikes, but it all depends on which feels better for you.

I recently bought a Camber over the others. On a spec level I would have bought the Scott, but it just didn't feel as good for me, so I spent more money on a lower spec bike and I have been loving every ride.

Unfortunately the best thing is to try them.