Rave : Tour de Frans

The Ouzo

I won't divulge on details but Frans and Jan were about 50m behind us after a slight incline. We had crossed over a green traffic light and I saw the taxi approach. It wasn't going fast enough to set off any alarm bells. When Frans and Jan crossed over it was still green for them. In mid way through the intersection it went amber for them according to the lady that was riding with us behind the tandem. She stopped for the traffic light and looked down. We heard Frans shout and then there was an impact. I still thought it was the taxi and another vehicle that collided in Frans' immediate area. In that split second, I turned around to see the cause and actions of that accident in motion. We then turned around immediately to get to them and render assistance. The rest I won't go into out of respect for the families involved. All I know is that the traffic light was red for the taxi. I don't know if he saw the leading 2 bikes (myself and a friend) cross over and then tried to "catch a gap" behind us or if he just accelerated and never saw Frans and Jan... but I do know that when I saw the taxi, he wasn't doing any speed near to what he hit Frans at to cause that kind of damage and destruction.

that is horrible. Thank you for sharing what you can.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Devastating this :(

Rest in Peace to our fallen friends  :(

Janine was Deputy Head at Boksburg High

RIP Frans and Janine

I have to ride through that intersection on my commute to work and home everyday. This morning I stopped in the middle island, took a minute to reflect and whispered my condolences to Frans and Janine. It hit home hard. My Dad used to race with Frans for the team he rode for and ran. It was the snowflake team. Frans worked for Blue ribbon Snowflake before starting his dream of owning a LBS. I still have an old snowflake winter jacket that I wear on my cold rides.

This is so wrong! I am biting on my tongue to say what I want.

Rest in peace Frans and Janine, you have entered your eternal journey! You will never be forgotten!

May all of you who were at this tragic scene, also find peace and strength to continue.

Edited by Leon O

I bought my tandem from Frans a couple years back just after his illness and he was getting his shop back on track, so I was really shocked and saddened to hear of this terrible incident! I spent ages in his shop chatting about bikes, such an amazing gentleman.

We rode Saturday morning out on the east rand and it was the worst ride I have ever had! The drivers on the roads were terrible, the volume of traffic insane and you were just tense the whole time! We rode back up Isando road and as we got to Electron Road there were 3 police cars and someone under an emergency blanket on the curb, looked like a runner fatality, his poor wife was sitting on the curb next to him.  We went past the scene around 9am. I couldn't wait to get off the bike!  Such a terrible time of year to lose a loved one when we all be looking forward to seeing family and friends! I believe this is one intersection up from where Frans and Janine were hit - I will be avoiding road cycling until mid December when hopefully the madness has subsided and Joburg roads are quieter.

RIP to the fallen athletes and condolences to the loved ones! 

Edited by lurkerza

I bought my tandem from Frans a couple years back just after his illness and he was getting his shop back on track, so I was really shocked and saddened to hear of this terrible incident! I spent ages in his shop chatting about bikes, such an amazing gentleman.

We rode Saturday morning out on the east rand and it was the worst ride I have ever had! The drivers on the roads were terrible, the volume of traffic insane and you were just tense the whole time! We rode back up Isando road and as we got to Electron Road there were 3 police cars and someone under an emergency blanket on the curb, looked like a runner fatality, his poor wife was sitting on the curb next to him.  We went past the scene around 9am. I couldn't wait to get off the bike!  Such a terrible time of year to lose a loved one when we all be looking forward to seeing family and friends! I believe this is one intersection up from where Frans and Janine were hit - I will be avoiding road cycling until mid December when hopefully the madness has subsided and Joburg roads are quieter.

RIP to the fallen athletes and condolences to the loved ones! 

It happened here, they were going straight. I am not sure which side the taxi came from. I am friends with Bruce and while he has already told me so much, I don't want to ask any more than what he is prepared to tell me so I looked at his ride on strava and could figure these details out. It looks like from where he spent a lot of time after the incident that the taxi came from the left but I can not confirm this.

post-58906-0-01753400-1575280388_thumb.png

Frans supported the local races as well by sponsoring prizes like bikes and gift vouchers. I won a gift voucher at one.

One incident I was having issues with my FSA crank where it kept dropping between blades. Took it to TDF and after inspecting they found one tooth was slightly off. Frans told me to leave it with him and pick it up the next day, on returning to the shop Frans had fitted a crank which he had lying around from someone who swapped it out for Shimano. Cost NONE. 

Frans supported the local races as well by sponsoring prizes like bikes and gift vouchers. I won a gift voucher at one.

One incident I was having issues with my FSA crank where it kept dropping between blades. Took it to TDF and after inspecting they found one tooth was slightly off. Frans told me to leave it with him and pick it up the next day, on returning to the shop Frans had fitted a crank which he had lying around from someone who swapped it out for Shimano. Cost NONE. 

For as long as can remember I was going to register for the ride for site at his shop on the Saturday.

Wow, what tragic news!!!!

I last chatted with Frans on Friday... And I have been struggling with access to the forum from Tapatalk, so I've only seen this now...

Wishing strength to all family and friends of Frans & Janine. 

You guys will be remembered forever. RIP

Yeah he was like that

I arranged to rent a race bike from him to do 94.7 once because I did not feel like schleeping my bike all the way to SA. I had not been in his shop for about 10 years and tbh I never really bought much from him so I was not exactly a regular customer.

All it cost me was 2 tubes which needed replacing, and he asked that I wear his shop shirt which he gave me for free.

Still got the shirt... not sure it will fit now but once it warms up next summer I will try take it for a spin in his memory....

I'm away on a business trip - only returning to JHB around lunch time, so I won't be able to make it. However, I have asked on the group if they could start a little later, as 05:30 for people coming through from "out of town" would be a little easier. Not sure if they are going to revise the start time.

I'm away on a business trip - only returning to JHB around lunch time, so I won't be able to make it. However, I have asked on the group if they could start a little later, as 05:30 for people coming through from "out of town" would be a little easier. Not sure if they are going to revise the start time.

My cycling what's app group the message was that the memorial ride is on Saturday 7th December from the old Tour De Frans premises on Atlas Rd at 05:30?

Frans and Janine's service will be held at Northfield Methodist church in Benoni at 10am. We will have a mass ride from Benoni Northerns club. We will meet from 9am Friday morning.

There is also a mass ride planned from the old Tour de Frans in Atlas rd on Saturday morning at the China Mall there. The ride is planned to leave at 5:30am. This will be in rememberance and it will be an awareness ride. We will have tv news there and written publication too.

Thank you for everyone's support. I am certain Frans, Janine and all the other fallen cyclists that have passed on would appreciate all this support.

Stay safe out there and keep alert.

God Bless you all.