Zwartkop Rondo - Centurion

Pieter-za

Philip Boardman - a member from our club created a trail around the Zwartop Nature Reserve in Centurion, herewith some info from Philip:

Die roete is oral tenminste 1.3 meter wyd sodat 2 mense lekker langs mekaar kan hardloop of fietse bymekaar kan verbykom.

We do not just cut the grass/weeds, we also pick up stones on the route itself and rubbish in the vicinity of the route so you do not have to get distracted.

We also prune trees/bushes up to a height of about 1.5 meters so that no dirt can collect there but also no would-be criminals can hide there. 

Do not forget to appreciate the plant life and Springbok/Red Hartbees/Zebra's/Blue Wildebeest inside the reserve.

Start: Anywhere or BP (Wierda/WillemBotha) or Zwartkop Lapa (Wierda)

Route: Wierda/R55(Voortrekker)/Stephanus Schoeman/Alaric/Hans/Imatra/Wodin/Meteor/Viking/Cambell/Tyman (loop along fence around small holdings)/Larry/along wall of Eldo Lake/Cambell/Wierda

Suitable for trail running as well as MTB.

Also see article in local newspaper:

https://rekordcenturion.co.za/140527/centurion-runner-uses-own-money-to-build-running-trail/

2017-05-04_Zwartkop Rondo.gpx

post-57330-0-96377700-1521004444_thumb.png

post-57330-0-60354200-1521004528_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pieter-za

Thanks Philip - I use your trail at least once a week as part of a longer route - it is great! Thanks for making a difference, and making SA a better place.

Colin

:clap:

• 2 years later...

So yesterday I had the opportunity to take this route for the first time. And I can only say one thing: Thank you! Thank you for creating this. Thank you for keeping it maintained. I was really worried over whether this trail still exists, as it is 2 years later. But as I took it, I could see that it was recently maintained. 

There was one section where I encountered the road to be blocked, but quickly found a used detour around it (It is on the M24: Just look for a big hole in the fens to the north-west and take that small road until it ends. There will be another hole to get back).

Thank you Philip and everyone working so hard to keep us out of the traffic.

• 2 months later...

Is this route safe all the way round?

I will definitely try it over the weekend

Is this route safe all the way round?

I will definitely try it over the weekend

My son & I ride this route almost every week since lockdown allowed and before lockdown started. Never felt unsafe.

Yip, Philip spends a lot of his own resources to maintain this, give him a high 5 if you encounter him running this route :)   (It is the guy with the two bottles in a running vest - easy to recognise)

years ago there was a mtb race in the reserve, was called the military missile race. there were nice jeeptrack in the reserve. but apparently that was eventually declared a security risk

• 1 month later...
https://www.entrytime.com/event-details/?EventId=6393

ZWARTKOP RONDO VIRTUAL ADVENTURE RUN OR RIDE - SATURDAY 11 JULY 2020
All Proceeds To Be Donated To The Maintenance Of The Zwartkop Rondo Trails In Centurion, Gauteng.

Event Date: 11th Jul 2020
Province: All Regions
Online Entry Start Date: 24th Jun 2020
Online Entry End Date: 10th Jul 2020
Contact Number: 083 264 3931 /adventurerun.info@gmail.com
Edited by Pieter-za

• 3 years later...

4 years after the event?
Must have had a *** lawnmower.

Edited by Spinnekop

🤣🤣🤣 - Philip spends A LOT to maintain the route, like a couple of hundred-thousands over 7y already.