Tubeless on the road

Popit

I know this has been discussed , but I couldn't find the thread .

Is it worth doing ??

What tyres are recommended ??

How much sealant is used per wheel?? .

This will be for my training wheels which currently have Specialized Turbo 26mm tyres on .

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it worth doing ??

What tyres are recommended ??

How much sealant is used per wheel??

All things should be tried, at least once. Am I completely sold on the idea, probably not yet.

Schwalbe Pro One come highly recommended, and I've also had good results with Hutchinson.

Local choice still a bit limited.

Sealant dependent on brand, but generally about 30-50mm per wheel.

At first I absolutely loved my Giant Gavia SLR setup.  I just laughed at small punctures.  Then I got a bigger one.  One that you would just chaneg a tube in on a normal tyre.  Not so with tubless.  After getting covered in sealant while I put in a tube, I then tried patching the tyre from the inside, messy and not so easy.  Then you have to reseat the tyre and refill the sealant at R80 a shot fopr Stans or Giant (same thing different label) Mission!

After 3 of these bigger punctures, time to throw away an otherwise perfect tyre. R699.  Big puncture on th next ride.  Repeat of the above. 

There is no real weight saving as the sealant weighs the same as a tube, plus you have to carry a spare tube, bombs and tyre levers anyway, just in case.

My race wheels are not tubless and I just find it easier to use them all the time.  However those come with their own set of problems.  Anyone else have rusting spokes on their Mavic Cosmics? say no more!

Hmm, you don't really have to throw away a tubeless tyre if you get a hole that the sealant doesn't seal.

You can easily repair it (not on the roadside though, and not on a sidewall which you would throw away anyway) by lightly sanding the area, cleaning with alcohol, drying with a hairdryer and then applying normal tube glue and a patch. 

This has worked for me on a few occasions. I've only thrown 2 tyres away - one got a U-shaped screw through two parts of it and the other a sidewall cut from a stone during this years Argus.

I recommend Schwalbe tyres (Pro One). Hutchinson's are a PITA to get on Argent's. Also the Hutch are narrow - my 25c Endurance tyres measure less than 24mm on 19mm internal Easton rims. Also look at the Panaracer Race tyres. They roll nicely and are a proper 25c. Available at East City Cycles for under a grand. 

Good luck.

Now on 25C Swalbe Pro Ones mounted to American Classic Victory 30's. I am 95kg and I rode them at 5bar this weekend. Lovely feeling compared to my previous tubed setup which I rode at closer to 7 Bar.

Did hit a piece of glass with the front tyre on Tom Jenkins, the tyre immediately spat out the piece which now seemed white and when I stopped at the traffic light it just looked like I rode over a white chappie.

If I didn't see the puncture happening I would have been none the wiser.

From the feedback above I might just hang on to my old tubed wheels for training purposes, switching to AC's for race day, seeing that the Pro Ones seem to wear at little bit quicker.

Edited by Rookie85

Having had to replace my tubeless tyre twice, at a cost of R1000 for a puncture.

I would recommend that you might look at sticking to normal tyres.

Both punctures I got sealed for a bit, only to pop again. Shops don’t feel like fixing the tyre and simply say “you need a new one”..... meh

You'll never know unless you try. Know that it's a compromise, and keep your wits about you. That way, you'll know for yourself. Some people ALWAYS seem to puncture, and others that ride the same roads never seem to have an issue. Perhaps you'll fall into one of those categories. I say, if you've got the $$$, then try.

Hutchinson's are a PITA to get on Argent's.

Greeeaaat......

My Fusion 5 set should arrive any day now, but this statement does not give me happy thoughts :(

The GP4000SIIs I put on for the Argus were not too bad, but the Vittorias prior to that took me two days (I had to take a break, otherwise my brand-new-at-the-time wheels would have gone for flying lessons.)

I've had a great experience with tubeless since June last year. My advice would be to put in more like 80ml of sealant. At the higher pressures on road tyres I think you can lose some sealant quickly so it pays to have a bit extra to close up that hole.

Having had to replace my tubeless tyre twice, at a cost of R1000 for a puncture.

I would recommend that you might look at sticking to normal tyres.

Both punctures I got sealed for a bit, only to pop again. Shops don’t feel like fixing the tyre and simply say “you need a new one”..... meh

+1

One of the reasons why I am not keen (for now) to switch over to tubeless. The tyres are just too expensive. But I am sure the price would go down later in time. Then I will reconsider.